XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front wheel bearings

I have a noise at highway speed that sounds and acts like a wheel bearing problem. Have removed the wheel hubs and have searched for bearings and find they are available. Since there is no Jag dealer near here I went to the Ford dealership. Mechanic there looked at the wheel hub and said it is a throw away part since the bearing is not ment to be removed. Have ordered a hub from a Lincoln we will see if it fits. Is the bearing replaceable or is the mechanic right?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good day,
In all of the time and all of the things I have had to replace on Jags I have NEVER had a bearing fail. I would check out your hub when off and verify it is the bearing. Is this front or back? FYI I had a caliper carrier bolt back out on the back and scrub the wheel speed sensor ring and it made a bearing/rattling noise intermittently. I would suggest you check back hubs on the inside of the disc in the general location where the axle attaches to the hub (on inside of disc between disc and car) and make sure no bolts have not backed out and are rubbing on other things (mine was the speed sensor ring that just caught the head of the bolt...which also caused it to spin and rattle on contact). Mine had no lock-tight and is in fact now an argument with Jaguar North America regarding warranty coverage.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Also if it is not covered under warranty you can source the hub from other used parts jags as well and pay a whole lot less...one that comes to mind is the "S" for the front hubs I believe. This is true of alot of the Jag suspension...used across alot of their different models in different forms. As an aside it is also true for other mechanical/body things (side mirror covers commonality with the "J" comes to mind right off).

Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front wheel bearings

Since I bought the 07 XK put on 10,000 kms. noticed a noise at highway speeds early on and it is getting a little more pronounced now. Sounds like a rotational noise, when I go to the right the noise quickens and when I go to the left it seems to go away. I have replaced all four rotors but the noise is the same as before. I have removed both front hubs and one seems to be more dificult than the other to rotate. I have ordered one hub from jag as I cannot find anything that looks exactly the same. One off a Lincoln LS is very close but the back of the hub is about 3/8" longer. The old jag hub does not have a part no#. If the replacement hub does not solve the problem I will not be able to return it. I am hopeful that I can solve the problem with a little help from this forum and doing the work in my garage.