XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Garage storage for several months

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Arminius
I did this, and it made only a slight whirring noise.
That canīt be the engine revving??? Itīs much too quiet IMO!......
I have the Cat on a CTEK while doing this, so no worry about battery drainage.....
Well, cranking a starter requires 400 amps. A CTEK produces about 3 amps.
You can do the math, I don't want to.

The following users liked this post:
drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Received 198 Likes on 126 Posts

in general there aren't as many CO emissions at idle as there used to be. iirc it's DI engines that have drastically reduced them. saw a chart somewhere a while back. there's surely other poisonous emissions to be concerned about. there's also the fact that given enough time in a sufficiently closed/confined space, the engine will simply combust all the oxygen and you will suffocate regardless of whether you were poisoned. that said, it's possible the old movie trope of death by closing the garage door and falling asleep in the car would in reality not turn out that way for most cases.

The following 2 users liked this post by jons:
Arminius (11-30-2020), drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Originally Posted by jons
in general there aren't as many CO emissions at idle as there used to be. iirc it's DI engines that have drastically reduced them. ... it's possible the old movie trope of death by closing the garage door and falling asleep in the car would in reality not turn out that way for most cases.
The 4.2L engine is not direct injection.

If you don't die from CO poisoning while in a closed garage with the engine running, just give it more time. Or get a smaller garage.

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,179 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

If you don't die from CO poisoning while in a closed garage with the engine running, just give it more time. Or get a smaller garage.
ROTF

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jons
it's possible the old movie trope of death by closing the garage door and falling asleep in the car would in reality not turn out that way for most cases.
I'll let you know in the morning...or not.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
drboz5750 (12-04-2020), jons (12-02-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
ROTF
You may want to download and save this ...

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 198 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
yeah i definitely wouldn't try it out with that one then!

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

In the past I've put my stored cars on stands. This way I can pop selector in 'D' and let stuff move around a bit. No idea if this helps, but in my mind has to be better than sitting for several months. Here in Ohio that could be from Nov-Dec to March or April.
Get everything nice 'n hot, let freewheel in 'D' for a bit, hit brakes a few times, shut off, repeat in a week or three ha

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparDude
In the past I've put my stored cars on stands. This way I can pop selector in 'D' and let stuff move around a bit. No idea if this helps, but in my mind has to be better than sitting for several months. Here in Ohio that could be from Nov-Dec to March or April.
Get everything nice 'n hot, let freewheel in 'D' for a bit, hit brakes a few times, shut off, repeat in a week or three ha
There's good and bad. I learned the hard way not to leave an old car with the suspension "hanging" after a major repairwas put on hold for much longer than anticipated. When I finally put the car back together and let it back down to the ground, it immediately needed several new suspension bushings. A lot of people do it to try to keep the tires from flat-spotting, but suspension bushes are rubber too. Leaving the wheels hanging in storage puts the bushes in an unnatural contortion for months at a time. For longer term storage I just add some extra air pressure to minimize the flat-spotting and my radials have always smoothed out after a few miles. And if they don't, tires are usually easier and cheaper to replace than bushings. If you had an old muscle-car or truck that you could support the solid rear axle on jack stands, that would be reasonable way to facilitate running the engine occasionally without taking it out in the winter weather. However, safely supporting any modern Jaguar off the ground with the suspension bushes normalized might be a challenge.

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 12:49 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
There's good and bad. I learned the hard way not to leave an old car with the suspension "hanging" after a major repairwas put on hold for much longer than anticipated. When I finally put the car back together and let it back down to the ground, it immediately needed several new suspension bushings. A lot of people do it to try to keep the tires from flat-spotting, but suspension bushes are rubber too. Leaving the wheels hanging in storage puts the bushes in an unnatural contortion for months at a time. For longer term storage I just add some extra air pressure to minimize the flat-spotting and my radials have always smoothed out after a few miles. And if they don't, tires are usually easier and cheaper to replace than bushings. If you had an old muscle-car or truck that you could support the solid rear axle on jack stands, that would be reasonable way to facilitate running the engine occasionally without taking it out in the winter weather. However, safely supporting any modern Jaguar off the ground with the suspension bushes normalized might be a challenge.
How many years did you leave it hanging?
I had my MG ZT V8 hanging 5 winters and had no problem, the jag is on it's fourth year and so far all good.
I had/have mice in the garage and this way they can't get to the car!

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 01:51 AM
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
True, I did this mostly with older American cars. So a couple jackstands under the solid rear axle was easy enough to do. Haven't had the Jag up in the air yet so no idea how I could support it safely while loading the suspension. Honestly was going support it with jackstands and let it droop. Something I may look into. Only reason I do this though is so I can put it in gear and let the drivetrain move around without leaving garage.

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:50 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

The axle stand points on our cars scare me - don't think I'd want to be running in drive on axle stands

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
How many years did you leave it hanging?
I had my MG ZT V8 hanging 5 winters and had no problem, the jag is on it's fourth year and so far all good.
I had/have mice in the garage and this way they can't get to the car!
Oh, about nine months. Granted the car was nearly 20 years old already but the idea is to minimize the stress and postpone the eventual failure of parts as long as possible.

Also just thought of something else. On some independent rear suspension setups, you need to check the angle of the half shafts before you engage the transmission with the suspension unloaded. On like an old Corvette, you can't rotate the wheels with the suspension fully unloaded due to the extreme angle on the universal joints. When I do do anything like check disk runout or adjust the parking brakes, I usually try first to spin them by hand and then remember, oh yeah, I have to raise the hubs back up a couple inches before they'll turn.

drboz5750 (12-04-2020)