Old 12-04-2020, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts
The following users liked this post:
shemp (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

ah sorry. I'll have to read it a few more times.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

By no means meant to be used Full Time.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:55 PM
Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issue and trying different stations and nozzle depths/positions does not fix it... Agree that it's a venting issue, but I don't see any threads that detail a diagnosis and fix to the issue.

There's one instance of @Cee Jay replacing his evap canister, but but much more available on concurrence to that fix.

Maybe I'm just bad at searching, haha.

I've attached some relevant pages from the service manual... It makes me wonder if one of the "vapor pipes" is clogged.

Is there a diagnostic procedure for all this?

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 12-10-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Well huh. I had always blamed the shutoff on my car, as it always did it. Did it until my last fill up at a new Costco that opened near my home. Pumped 3/4 tank without a single shutoff.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I rarely have an issue, seemed to be pump and heat dependent. But since I've done a fuel cell conversion, it's of no further concern to me.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I rarely have an issue, seemed to be pump and heat dependent. But since I've done a fuel cell conversion, it's of no further concern to me.
Jeremy, did you ever do a write up on this? I'd love to read about it.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

No, perhaps at some point I'll post up some pics. It's not going to really suit anyone who's not racing full time.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
No, perhaps at some point I'll post up some pics. It's not going to really suit anyone who's not racing full time.
Thank you. Yes I understand its use. I would just like to see one that was put into practice on an x150 for curiosity's sake. Appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm hoping I was misinformed, but the service manager at Jag told me this issue is quite common and the fix requires the fuel tank to be replaced. Has anyone else ever heard this? I sure hope this is not the case. My issue has been intermittent, but still shows up at anytime.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I'm hoping I was misinformed, but the service manager at Jag told me this issue is quite common and the fix requires the fuel tank to be replaced. Has anyone else ever heard this? I sure hope this is not the case. My issue has been intermittent, but still shows up at anytime.
Never. The tank needs to be REMOVED to get to the canister, but can be reinstalled after the new canister is installed.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (06-12-2022), jahummer (06-02-2022), Kenny Nichols (12-14-2023), Sean W (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Never. The tank needs to be REMOVED to get to the canister, but can be reinstalled after the new canister is installed.
Nothing internal? If that's the case...it is not quite as bad... but still a formidable and expensive task removing the tank and replacing the canister on our cars.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing internal? If that's the case...it is not quite as bad... but still a formidable and expensive task removing the tank and replacing the canister on our cars.
Yes, it certainly wasn't the best setup for maintenance tasks.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Well huh. I had always blamed the shutoff on my car, as it always did it. Did it until my last fill up at a new Costco that opened near my home. Pumped 3/4 tank without a single shutoff.
Since that post in Dec, I haven’t had the issue happen again, and it was very consistent before. I thought maybe it was the pumps at the new Costco, but I’ve filled up elsewhere on road trips, and the early shutoff has not happened.
I’m thinking now that maybe the canister dried out, as I rarely drove the car in the past two years, and fill ups were even rarer.
Not a solution for everyone, but letting the car sit for a couple years might solve the problem?

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (06-03-2022), Sean W (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 04:49 AM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I had that problem and I checked the canister and all the return tubes and everything was correct.
One day I put the car on the lift and I could see that the fuel filler tube in the part before the connection with the tank was slightly tilted upwards and I thought that this could be the problem when refueling.
Remove the fill tube and bend it so that once installed it will always slope towards the tank.
From that moment the refueling problems were over.
Before this modification at some gas stations...few...I could refuel well, but now I've realized that I could only refuel well at gas stations where the car was left on a slope since it made filling up easier.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jomiltom:
jons (06-03-2022), Sean W (06-03-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, I’ve a 2013 XKR European spec, historically I’ve had the occasional trouble filling, but now it’s every time. Having read through as many threads as I can find, but there doesn’t seem a definitive answer. From what I’ve read there could be a difference in the evap systems between EU & US cars. Ive seen suggestions about the evap system being clogged, but as a few others have questioned, I would have thought this isn’t functional with the engine off. Looking at the drawings in post 24 of the fuel tank, to me there seems a few options & i’m wondering if these have been considered?
No.12 is a fuel neck filler check valve, which opens on weight of fuel in filler neck. Could this be partially sticking? For me this is possible but unlikely.
No.14 LVS Liquid Vapour separator (internal to tank ) This prevents liquid escaping through the vent lines & looks far more likely.
I’ve attached the description of the LVS.

The LVS prevents the escape of liquid fuel through to the fuel tank vent pipes. The LVS is installed in a bracket in the top center of the fuel tank. Vent pipes connect the LVS to two connectors in the upper rear corners of the fuel tank. The RH connector is for a vent pipe connected to the top of the fuel filler pipe. The LH connector is for a vent pipe connected to the EVAP (evaporative emission) canister.
For additional information, refer to: Evaporative Emissions (303-13 Evaporative Emissions - V8 5.0L Petrol/V8 S/C 5.0L Petrol, Description and Operation).
Three valves are incorporated into the LVS:
 An OPRV, to relieve any excess pressure in the fuel tank into the LVS
 A FLVV, to limit the maximum fuel level when filling the fuel tank
 A ROV, to prevent the escape of fuel through the vent pipes if the vehicle overturns, and allow the fuel tank to vent
when the FLVV is closed (i.e. when the fuel tank is full).
Vapor leaving the fuel tank passes through either the FLVV or the ROV during normal vehicle use. During filling, if the fuel reaches the full level the FLVV closes and prevents fuel vapor passing through to the LVS. This causes the pressure in the fuel tank to rise, which in turn causes the pump filling nozzle to cut off at approximately 17 mbar (0.25 lbf/in2).
The ROV contains a valve that closes if the vehicle overturns, and prevents liquid fuel escaping from the fuel tank through the vent pipes.
The ball in the top of the ROV provides a pressure hold function, which is set at 45 mbar (0.65 lbf/in2). This prevents trickle filling or over filling of the fuel tank.
Could this be a more likely scenario, a sticking valve or overfill ball ? It would agree with a previous thread where Jaguar had stated that they had seen this before & the only fix was a replacement fuel tank.
http://

http://

Last edited by GGG; 06-12-2022 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Move post to relevant thread
drphilgood (05-05-2023)
Old 06-12-2022, 05:23 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I’ve lost count on the number of fuel tanks I have removed, disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled over the years. But in this age of component replacement as opposed to repair and/or rebuild, I understand that response.

Last edited by guy; 06-12-2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fill Up Issue

I took my 2014 XK to my usual Jag-Rolls repair shop in Palm Desert. They said they could not fix the problem, it had to go to the dealer. Visited the dealer and they said it IS the canister but, unlike your Hyundai, the canister is built into the top of the fuel tank.

To replace this (according to the dealer) requires dropping the rear end and REPLACING THE FUEL TANK! They suggested I go ahead and replace the gooseneck filler at the same time since the labor would be no more, just the cost of the filler neck. Grand total (estimate) $3700.

Like you, I decided to hold off and pay myself to take the time to dribble the tank full. Bit of a hassle but not ready to bite the $3700 bullet. Anyone have some other idea/suggestion?

B

Kenny Nichols (12-14-2023)
Old 08-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

I found out how to resolve this issue (for my car, at least).

I noticed that fuel was suddenly able to enter the tank normally when I procrastinated on filling up for longer than normal, until the fuel level indicator said the tank was VERY low... Well beyond the time the "low fuel" warning popped up. For reference, I was able to fit 16.7 gallons into the tank. More then ever before.

Sure enough, it refueled normally every fill-up after that point... Until a month ago, when I accidentally let the fuel level drop to the "low fuel" warning. Suddenly, the problem returned. Next time I filled up (at 1/4 tank), same thing. I could not get more than 0.3 gallons without hearing fuel fill up inside the tube and stop the pump. Dang it. I figured that the problem was now permanent, but remembered the odd condition that resolved the issue months ago.

I decided to purposefully let the fuel level drop VERY low once again, as an experiment. And was able to get 16.8 gallons into the tank when refueling. Again, it resolved the issue!

I have suspicion that there might be sediment in the tank, that clogs a vent or causes it to stick closed when the fuel level drops... As the concentration of the sediment increases as fuel level decreases. Something about the fuel level dropping it low AGAIN, opens it back up (or unclogs it) again.

I can't be certain without opening the tank, but so far letting the fuel level drop to the warning light has caused the fill up issue twice, and dropping the fuel level from a full tank to WELL beyond the warning light has resolved the issue twice. It's enough to convince me that something is happening with the low fuel level to cause the issue.

Now that it's working, I'll be vigilant with how much fuel is in the tank... and I'll never let it drop below 1/4 tank ever again.

Try it and report back!

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 08-10-2022 at 03:23 PM.
drphilgood (05-05-2023)
Old 08-10-2022, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome suggestion, thanks! I will definitely try this and will absolutely report back. Was it a little nerve wracking driving to VERY LOW (WELL past the low level light), or did you simply carry a gallon of gas in a can?

Either way, I'm going to give it a try this weekend or next week.

B

Quick Reply: Gas fill up issue - pump shutoff