XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Gas Gauge Question 07 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

So what's the strategy now? Maybe you should contact Jaguar NA's customer relationship center.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
So what's the strategy now? Maybe you should contact Jaguar NA's customer relationship center.
With your information and with feedback from a friend with the same car, I'm going back one more time to the dealer and see if they'll address it now. So far other's feedback has been as I expected mine to perform, so I'm more sure I have an issue. I'm also documenting a few tanks to have more details for them. If not luck, I'll escalate further. Hopefully the dealer solves it...doesn't cost them, still under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Information from anyone else with 07+ XKs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, all.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Just remember, you can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin it once!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Has this always been the case with your gas gauge since you've owned the car? What's the most miles you've logged with a tank of gas? I run about 220 miles per week showing 1/8 or so on the gauge I believe. Mine seems to be working normally but I really don't pay that close attention since my driving patterns are consistent (commute and park on the weekends with a 45 mile round trip per commute).

Is your car under warranty? If so then it may be difficult for the dealer to fix/replace under warranty without something failing or being obviously defective. What's the cost to have the sending unit replaced on your dime?

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Has this always been the case with your gas gauge since you've owned the car? What's the most miles you've logged with a tank of gas? I run about 220 miles per week showing 1/8 or so on the gauge I believe. Mine seems to be working normally but I really don't pay that close attention since my driving patterns are consistent (commute and park on the weekends with a 45 mile round trip per commute).

Is your car under warranty? If so then it may be difficult for the dealer to fix/replace under warranty without something failing or being obviously defective. What's the cost to have the sending unit replaced on your dime?

Good luck!
I believe it may have gotten worse, but didn't pay too much attention till now. Have owned the car for less than a year, but don't drive it regularly, so that contributes. The car is still under warranty, but that's expiring in the near future, so I want to make sure I catch all significant issues now. If I can show mine's significantly off from other XKs I think the dealer will fix it.

Wold you mind telling me how many gallons your tank takes and what level you were at next time you fill up?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

No need for a response to this.................I ran the tank down to a half tank today. The "needle" was just touching the right hand side of the half tank hash mark. I filled up and it came to 8.308 gallons.

In my other post the "needle" was just to the left of the half tank hash mark, in fact just a small hair to the left of it.

Eight times two sure does not equal my 18.7 gallon tank, but I'm not surprised. I've yet to have a car that came any closer to what I see here.

By the way, each time I filled up, I let the nozzle cut off by itself.......then went up/down on the bumper a couple of times and thne filled up a bit more. Not much more at all. In that respect this XK I have does better than any other car I've owned. On all those if I let the nozzle cut off and then jiggled up/down on the bumper, I always could put in a gallon or more in the tank. This particular XK fills up just fine with the nozzle cutting the fuel off. No real need to jiggle up/down on the bumper to clear out air bubbles.

Sorry, I never will let the gas level get down near or below the red line on the left. Does the fuel pump no good imho if you get it down in the less than a gallon condition.

EDIT: I also have noticed the MPG figure shown is almost always one mpg higher than reality. As I fill the tank up to the neck each time and figure the gallons used divided into the miles I've gone and the figure has always come up 1 mpg less than the computation on the dash. No surprised at this and consider it not a meaningful problem or a fault at all. I congratulate them on getting that close in the first place. I'm easy to please.

Last edited by Hailers; 01-06-2013 at 02:31 PM.