XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Gauges?

I have always hated the fact that the XKR only has the speedo, tach, and fuel gauge. I want to know whats going on with my engine so I have been doing some searching for an OBD2 gauge system and I think I have found one. The edge CTS2 insight.

Products | Edge Products

Has anyone ever used one of these before? It looks a little pricy but you can get them for about $350 on amazon. I contacted edge to ask if it will work on the Jag and they said they haven't done any testing on our cars but if for some reason it doesn't work I can return it for a full refund. I offered to be their guinea pig for a small discount but they wouldn't go for that.

So what do you guys think? Of course it wont look factory installed like I would prefer, but would look like a navigation system on the windshield which isn't uncommon. I think I might just go for it.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadly
I have always hated the fact that the XKR only has the speedo, tach, and fuel gauge. I want to know whats going on with my engine so I have been doing some searching for an OBD2 gauge system and I think I have found one. The edge CTS2 insight.

Products | Edge Products

Has anyone ever used one of these before? It looks a little pricy but you can get them for about $350 on amazon. I contacted edge to ask if it will work on the Jag and they said they haven't done any testing on our cars but if for some reason it doesn't work I can return it for a full refund. I offered to be their guinea pig for a small discount but they wouldn't go for that.

So what do you guys think? Of course it wont look factory installed like I would prefer, but would look like a navigation system on the windshield which isn't uncommon. I think I might just go for it.
Seems like to much money when you can get almost all of the same features with some various apps available for cheap. I use Torque Pro app on my samsung cell phone. I have a blue tooth adapter plugged into my OBDII port and I can get as many functions as I need. I usually only want the water temp and the battery voltage but there are dozens of other gauge options that you can use. If it were me I wouldn't spend the money. You can also get a cell phone holder that plugs into your AC outlet and have the gauges on all of the time .

guy (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep. Cheap BT ODB2 reader and a Kindle Fire would probably be just as good at 1/3 the price.

Heck woot had a BT ODB2 reader with heads up display on clearance for $30 today. I might not use one long term but it would be a cheap way to determine what is available through the port and if you actually look at the data as much as you think you would.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Seems like to much money when you can get almost all of the same features with some various apps available for cheap. I use Torque Pro app on my samsung cell phone. I have a blue tooth adapter plugged into my OBDII port and I can get as many functions as I need. I usually only want the water temp and the battery voltage but there are dozens of other gauge options that you can use. If it were me I wouldn't spend the money. You can also get a cell phone holder that plugs into your AC outlet and have the gauges on all of the time .
^^^What he said.^^^
The Torque Pro App came on a minidisk free when I bought the Bluetooth adapter. Every display that's on the EDGE Product is supported, plus nearly a hundred more. Seriously. The Bluetooth adapter DOES need a BT supported device, but I'm sure nearly everyone around has an old smart phone or tablet laying around. Or, use your current phone. There would be no wiring necessary. If you have (I think) a Galaxy S3, those fit perfectly in the ashtray opening.
Best part....... my OBDII adapter was $12, shipped and WITH the full app of Torque Pro. Dash Commander was also included, but I like Torque more.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Products | Edge Products

Would this be an option for you
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gauges-154924/

Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I would only like a water temp and a volt meter. It would be nice if they were similar to the oil level gauge . I would like 2 linear gauges maybe 1/4" high and long enough to fit in the space near the instrument cluster . 1 under the speedo and 1 under the tach. One on each side of the plastic hump near the cluster.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Still takes too much away from the look of the dash but I'd consider something like this if I could retract into the dash when not driving.

https://exploride.com/features/

Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

You mean something like this?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-30-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Chadly (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 09:36 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts
Old 01-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Subscribed.

I'm using a Bluetooth OBDII reader linked to my ancient HTC Droid Incredible (deactivated but Bluetooth still works) with the free Torque app to display 2 separate round gauges for water temperature and voltage. Small and fits perfectly in front of the gear shifter without any wires in both my XKR and XJ. Inexpensive and just what I need. Just have to recharge the phone every few days. But I'd switch to HUD if there's a Bluetooth unit available at reasonable cost. I just don't want to have any exposed wires running across my dash. I'll do some research to see what, if anything, is available.

One other point - don't forget to always unplug your OBDII reader from the socket after you shut off the engine. Otherwise, you may generate multiple random false error codes and error messages on your gauge display the next time you start the engine. Happened to me yesterday in my XJ - transmission fault, e-diff fault, adaptive dynamics fault, CEL - everything went bonkers! So I unplugged the OBDII reader, restarted the engine, and no error messages recurred but the CEL icon was still there, so I cleared it with my OBDII reader and all is well now.

Stuart

Old 01-30-2016, 03:32 PM

That heads-up thing is cool.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi everyone, I have not utilized getting engine info via an app. Can someone tell me if it can also send oil pressure reading or just oil temp.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
Hi everyone, I have not utilized getting engine info via an app. Can someone tell me if it can also send oil pressure reading or just oil temp.

Thanks.
Neither. No oil readings.

Fstbmw1 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by flyc2c
That's awesome! Looks really good. Looks like it would be around $500 for the GVIF and the Camp2, but that's a great mod.

Last edited by Chadly; 01-31-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 AM

That's awesome! Looks really good. Looks like it would be around $500 for the GVIF and the Camp2, but that's a great mod.
It's only money.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:40 PM

It's only money.
I agree! No point in making it if you're not going to spend it right?

Do you know the model number for the Camp 2 you used? I have found a few but they have different models to choose from. (44999-AK019, AK020, and AK021)

The things I would like to monitor are coolant temp, voltage, boost, air/fuel ratio. I understand there is another sensor I would need for the boost?

The install post you made was terrific. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM

After researching some more it looks like what I need is the main unit, model 48001-AK001

Old 01-31-2016, 02:19 PM

After researching some more it looks like what I need is the main unit, model 48001-AK001
Yes. Now the bad news. It's been out of production for a while now. I found mine in an old thread on an Audi forum. You can still get all the ancillary stuff for extra sensors which you'll need for boost and any oil info. It's a nice unit and gives you more info than you'd ever get from an OEM gauge set.

Fully configurable too.

These things are rare but I just found one on ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hks-Camp2-Mu...xWUSGz&vxp=mtr

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-31-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

There are a LOT of Heads-Up type units if you...

Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Yes. Now the bad news. It's been out of production for a while now. I found mine in an old thread on an Audi forum. You can still get all the ancillary stuff for extra sensors which you'll need for boost and any oil info. It's a nice unit and gives you more info than you'd ever get from an OEM gauge set.

Fully configurable too.

These things are rare but I just found one on ebay..
HKS CAMP2 Multi Control Unit Fcon OBD1 2 Temp Boost Pressure etc I F | eBay
That seller is apparently plugged into a pretty good supply of them, although you need to be careful to examine his listing photos to be sure you get what you need. I bought one from him that had a Nissan Consult connector instead of OBDII, another didn't have any connector, another was missing the remote. One main unit just didn't work (it showed a setup menu display, but seemed to be stuck there).
The sellers prices aren't cheap either. I suspect he's pulling them from cars in Japan. He used to list his location as Tiblisi Georgia, but the shipments came from Japan, and usually took a long time.

Quick Reply: Gauges?