XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Gear Selector

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Gear Selector

Once a position is selected and the car is moving what happens if the selector is accidentally moved, is there a fail safe in place. Still not sure I like this contraption as I'm so used to resting my hand on a shift lever, auto or manual, not a dial...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

On my rover, I've accidentally switched the rotary dial to neutral while driving thinking I was in S mode but I was only in D mode. It just revved.....switched it back to D and no problems. Luckily I didn't turn it to Reverse. I also wonder if there is a fail safe mode not to engage Reverse while the car is in motion.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Shifter...

Originally Posted by RJC
Once a position is selected and the car is moving what happens if the selector is accidentally moved, is there a fail safe in place. Still not sure I like this contraption as I'm so used to resting my hand on a shift lever, auto or manual, not a dial...
I have the 2008 which has the reverse "L" gate shifter vice the dial which I understand was introduced in the 2010 model. The shifter falls so naturally under the driver's hand, you just "expect" to find it there. I really don't know if I could get used to finding the dial there instead. Some on this forum have even said they would not purchase an XK newer than 2009, specifically because they had no use for the dial.

I wonder how others who have the dial vice the shifter actually feel about it?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Drop it

I wouldn't want the dial but I'd like the 5.0 engine.

I love being able to "drop it" into sport. My wife teases me the way I pop it over and back when passing.

You just can't get that sporty feel with a dial.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
The rotary dial is great, although I also did wonder if my right hand would suffer withdrawal. I've always had manual transmissions in my sports cars, and driven them for years on race tracks where performance features mean something. I had the XKR on track within 24 hours of taking delivery and there was no withdrawal and no negative aspects at all. The auto tranny is incredibly effective on the track, and any manual shifting would be done with the paddles in modern cars like this anyways.

So whether its a stick or a dial is really a non-issue...and the notion that somebody would pass up the serious performance improvements on the 2010+ cars because of the dial is just plain silly.

Bruce

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

R is locked out of the dial if the car is moving forward. So it's only N-D-S that are available. And you have to push down and turn to the right do go from D to S.

Also, you don't have to put the car in Park when shutting down. Come to a stop, put on parking brake, and turn the car off. Car puts itself in park. ;D

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

To me the rotary gear shifter has got to be the dumbest thing that Jaguar has done for a long time! I will never buy one...........I don't want a radio knob to rest my hand on; a gear lever's position gives you some indication of whats going on; a knob does not! And it's even worse in the dark IMHO............
But glad to hear someone likes it................
The second dumbest thing Jaguar has done, on my 2007 XK, is switch speedo/tach position (they got it right on the E type and XK8!); must have new hire in the design office!

Adrian

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I too would prefer the main dials to be reversed butc Jaguar's not the only one to have rev counter on the right and speedo on the left. MB and BMW are the same. Some would argue that the rev counter is the main dial to have in your straight ahead line of site. Look at Porsche. The speedo's and afterthought.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by sjtyrer
I too would prefer the main dials to be reversed butc Jaguar's not the only one to have rev counter on the right and speedo on the left. MB and BMW are the same. Some would argue that the rev counter is the main dial to have in your straight ahead line of site. Look at Porsche. The speedo's and afterthought.
Coming from a long line of P cars I am used to the tach straight ahead using the digital speedo read out just below, in the Jag I use the trip computer to show the mph digitally and focus on the tach.

I need a coolant gauge too, why Jag why no gauge???? Geez even my DTS rental had one lol

Last edited by RJC; 02-29-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

This is my first jag and I have no problem with the rotary dial- I actually like it. I drive exclusively in sport mode with paddles, so I could never mistakenly turn it while driving. One thing I really like about the display dials is that in sport mode with paddles, the gear indicator is displayed large in the center of the screen. This is much better than the Porsche 997 turbo PDk, which has a very small display on the right hand side. The jag's display is more similar to a ferrari's, which is a good thing!

Last edited by Octurbo; 02-29-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
RJC

Smaller display aside, the PDK transmission is truly spectacular and the launch control activated in the Turbo S is something to behold. PDK has also been nicely upgraded in the 991's.

How do you drive all day only using the paddles? I guess you don't live where there is too much traffic, around here in S FL the novelty would wear away very quickly.

How do you like your S? Are the seats cooled like in the non S? What brand of tires did your S come with?

Last edited by RJC; 03-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
I have the 2008 which has the reverse "L" gate shifter vice the dial which I understand was introduced in the 2010 model. The shifter falls so naturally under the driver's hand, you just "expect" to find it there. I really don't know if I could get used to finding the dial there instead. Some on this forum have even said they would not purchase an XK newer than 2009, specifically because they had no use for the dial.

Sometimes the marketing dept and overly stimulated engineers go wild, hence the dial shifter lol

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
This is my first jag and I have no problem with the rotary dial- I actually like it.

I'm with you on this one. It's an automatic transmission -- having a shift lever doesn't really make any sense, you just need a way to tell the machine what you'd like to do. The hockey puck is novel, efficient, and is aesthetically pleasing to see and use. Wasting all that real estate with a sliding shifter seems a bit archaic.

Mind you, if I had a choice I'd got with an old fashioned clutch, but I think I'll need to find my Vantage Coupe for that one.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I have spent quite of bit of time driving 997 pdk turbo and TT S- very fast cars and in fact i was going to buy one until I came across this xkr- s. I actually prefer the jags gearbox, because u can feel the shifts more (without being jerky) and there are more pronounced rev matching on downshifts. Pdk may shift faster, but I can't perceive it.
Where I drive in so cal, the traffic is not too bad and I'm used to driving a manual tranny, so pulling on the paddles is easy for me!
I really like the car so far. Tires are pirelli P0.

QUOTE=RJC;476392]Smaller display aside, the PDK transmission is truly spectacular and the launch control activated in the Turbo S is something to behold. PDK has also been nicely upgraded in the 991's.

How do you drive all day only using the paddles? I guess you don't live where there is too much traffic, around here in S FL the novelty would wear away very quickly.

How do you like your S? Are the seats cooled like in the non S? What brand of tires did your S come with?[/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
RJC

The Jag has a traditional auto box but as you know the Porsche is a true dual clutch auto/manual tranny and has launch control which is a big part of the 997 TTS's astounding 0-60 of 2.9 seconds...and as mentioned PDK has been significantly improved for the 991's. Saw the 991 in person about a month ago it was stunning. I had one of the first one's ready to order last year but due to my spinal injury I passed, the XKR is a good compromise but probably not the best choice for my comfort needs.

Comp'd to a manual in traffic paddles would no doubt be a breeze

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saleswoman at the jag dealer told me it was easier on her ribs without the shifter. lol

brdave

Last edited by brdave; 03-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by brdave
Saleswoman at the jag dealer told me it was easier on her ribs without the shifter. lol

brdave
lol

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
in the Jag I use the trip computer to show the mph digitally and focus on the tach.
So, the 2012 xkr has a digital speedo readout? I'm having trouble finding DigiSpeedo on my '08 xkr....so I guess it doesn't exist?
I really depended on it in 911's.

Last edited by ronev; 03-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
The Jag has a traditional auto box but as you know the Porsche is a true dual clutch auto/manual tranny and has launch control which is a big part of the 997 TTS's astounding 0-60 of 2.9 seconds...and as mentioned PDK has been significantly improved for the 991's. Saw the 991 in person about a month ago it was stunning. I had one of the first one's ready to order last year but due to my spinal injury I passed, the XKR is a good compromise but probably not the best choice for my comfort needs.

Comp'd to a manual in traffic paddles would no doubt be a breeze
Speaking of comfort, you would not like the Xkr-s seats! There are carbon fiber wrapped with leather (feel similar to Porsche bucket seats-gt3rs).
PDk is a great gear box, but almost too good. It's difficult to feel the gearshifts, since it shifts so smooth and fast. The gear box in the Xkr-s (? ZF) is considered the best single clutch transmission by most. Is this the same tranny as the Xkr and Xfr?
I was about to buy a 2011 997 TT S, but went with the Xkr-s due to it's looks, power, sound, comfort features, exclusivity, and more visceral feel. Great car so far, except the 12 mpg!

Last edited by Octurbo; 03-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by ronev
So, the 2012 xkr has a digital speedo readout? I'm having trouble finding DigiSpeedo on my '08 xkr....so I guess it doesn't exist?
Yes, in the trip computer menu; wish it had an engine temp gauge like the xk8's do

Quick Reply: Gear Selector