XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The Geico Saga

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

Now I'm motivated to finishing up my 2005 xk8 repairs. I could insure both @ 3,500 miles a year for @ 75% of my current cost, and enjoy each for what they are!
wj

Old 02-07-2024, 08:24 AM
Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wymjym
Let me begin with a sigh of relief, they are not going to total the car (as yet).
I used to operate a repair shop and wrote many an estimate.

My estimate includes:
a new headlight
a new secondary air pump
a replacement wheel
a fog light bracket
a front crash pad,
straightening several bumper support areas
repairing and refinishing the front bumper cover

Assuming good used parts are available my rough estimate is @ $4,500~$6,000

Geico’s initial estimate includes:

Aligning the headlight

Replacing the fog light bracket

Repairing and refinishing the front bumper

1st go around, total = $600.00 +/-
I had a similar experience a few years back with my 08 XK. I had just picked it up from state inspection feeling great because it needed nothing and I was just about home when a deer ran out from the side of the road into the front fender bounced off missing the door and nailing the back rear quarter panel. The first body shop I took it to got up to 7K and then needed to call in the adjuster as it was going to go higher and probably be totaled. Took it to a shop who was a little further away but I wanted to get a second opinion. He brought his best guy out to take a look and they both thought it was a fairly straight forward job even being aluminum. The plan was to pull out the quarter panel as best they could and replace the fender, however they wound up just repairing the fender also then repainting the whole side of the car. You can look up my post on it and see how they were able to pull out almost all the damage before getting to the detail work. The entire job cost the insurance company 5K (the adjuster was thrilled when he called me to tell me they would be repairing it).
The point is, I think body shops are like Indies, try to find an honest one that prices the the time and effort to repair the same no matter what the emblem on the giille is. Parts can be a different matter.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:10 AM
Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kongo1
I had a similar experience a few years back with my 08 XK. I had just picked it up from state inspection feeling great because it needed nothing and I was just about home when a deer ran out from the side of the road into the front fender bounced off missing the door and nailing the back rear quarter panel. The first body shop I took it to got up to 7K and then needed to call in the adjuster as it was going to go higher and probably be totaled. Took it to a shop who was a little further away but I wanted to get a second opinion. He brought his best guy out to take a look and they both thought it was a fairly straight forward job even being aluminum. The plan was to pull out the quarter panel as best they could and replace the fender, however they wound up just repairing the fender also then repainting the whole side of the car. You can look up my post on it and see how they were able to pull out almost all the damage before getting to the detail work. The entire job cost the insurance company 5K (the adjuster was thrilled when he called me to tell me they would be repairing it).
The point is, I think body shops are like Indies, try to find an honest one that prices the the time and effort to repair the same no matter what the emblem on the giille is. Parts can be a different matter.
Kongo,
That is a good story. I am also in Pa, outside of Philly. Could you please share the name of that shop, either here, or just pm me?
thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:28 AM
Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts

Gladly, if I remember you are in Chalfont so it's not far from you. PM sent.