XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting Intermittent Engine overheating Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Getting Intermittent Engine overheating Warning

Hi Forum,

Over the last couple of days, if I've been driving for 30+ miles with the AC on and if I accelerate moderately to fairly hard, I get a warning for engine running hot or engine overheating warning. The warning light does not stay on, it just flashes and I immediately turn off the AC just to be safe. The warning light does not re-appear after that. I also accelerate very modestly afterwards as well. It's happened twice already and wanted to get you guys thoughts on this. Do you think it could be a failing water pump as I know our cars have that issue? I'm due for an oil change, getting it tomorrow. Could that be the culprit? I really want to address this as soon as possible. Would hate to blow my engine...again. Also, a mentionable is its been hovering around 110+ here in hot AZ. I'm sure that's a factor although I've never had this happen before. the engine has approximately 60k on it. Look forward to your responses. Thanks forum!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,416 Likes on 3,200 Posts

Uh oh...... sounds like your water pump is on the way out. LOTS of posts in here about the early 5.0 pumps. Course, it could also be the thermostat.
I suggest you get one of those Bluetooth OBD2 code readers. Not only are they really cool with hundreds of live parameters, but you pretty much NEED one to check your coolant temperature.
Obvious, but have you checked the levels yet? How many miles on your car, and when was the last Coolant Flush?
Another check you could do is to loosen the serpentine belt and then wiggle/rotate the water pump pulley, check for ANY play, weird sounds, grinding, or undue resistance.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 09-07-2017 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Uh oh...... sounds like your water pump is on the way out. LOTS of posts in here about the early 5.0 pumps. Course, it could also be the thermostat.
I suggest you get one of those Bluetooth OBD2 code readers. Not only are they really cool with hundreds of live parameters, but you pretty much NEED one to check your coolant temperature.
Obvious, but have you checked the levels yet? How many miles on your car, and when was the last Coolant Flush?
Another check you could do is to loosen the serpentine belt and then wiggle/rotate the water pump pulley, check for ANY play, weird sounds, grinding, or undue resistance.
Yes, I've checked the coolant and its fine. I actually filled it up about 2 weeks ago. You may be right about the thermostat. Now that you mention it, the AC starts blowing warm air right before I get the warning...maybe 30 seconds before. Car has 107k, but the engine was replaced at 47k. Haven't had a coolant flush in the last 3 years....

Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

You should get a temperature gauge for your car. I am in Tucson and have one of these:
AUTOOL X50 Plus Car OBD2 Smart Digital Early Alarm As ELM327 Fault Code Function

There are others that do the same thing. Get something to give you more of a warning.

Most modern cars will shut off the A/C when the car gets too hot. That is your first warning.

You need to check each of the cooling components and find out what is wrong. Check the pump as Cee Jay recommended. You might as well change the thermostat as you have to remove it to check it. No sense putting a used $8 part back in.

The following 2 users liked this post by davchr:
bklynchris (09-07-2017), Patrick Wong (06-01-2018)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

[QUOTE=bklynchris;1755546]Yes, I've checked the coolant and its fine. I actually filled it up about 2 weeks ago.

Somehow I would think this would give you a clue that something is wrong. Considering you are going in for an oil change just have them check this out. How much coolant did you add.

bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=jagtoes;1755569]
Originally Posted by bklynchris
Yes, I've checked the coolant and its fine. I actually filled it up about 2 weeks ago.

Somehow I would think this would give you a clue that something is wrong. Considering you are going in for an oil change just have them check this out. How much coolant did you add.
Approximately 2 cups....It wasn't that low. I was able to see it when I took the cap off, so not even sure if that was an issue. Although I did it because I got a coolant low warning....could have been the first instance of the issue I'm facing now.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davchr
You should get a temperature gauge for your car. I am in Tucson and have one of these:
AUTOOL X50 Plus Car OBD2 Smart Digital Early Alarm As ELM327 Fault Code Function

There are others that do the same thing. Get something to give you more of a warning.

Most modern cars will shut off the A/C when the car gets too hot. That is your first warning.

You need to check each of the cooling components and find out what is wrong. Check the pump as Cee Jay recommended. You might as well change the thermostat as you have to remove it to check it. No sense putting a used $8 part back in.

Just checked Ebay and they have them available for $32. That's not bad. Do you recommend this one or should I look for another brand?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

T-stat is pretty easy to access and replace / check out. It's a pretty crappy design and the rubber will come off or it'll fall apart.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Just checked Ebay and they have them available for $32. That's not bad. Do you recommend this one or should I look for another brand?
I am happy with mine. It also has an OBD reader and you can program three OBD outputs to display on the unit. One with a sort of audible audible alarm that I use for temperature.

It is not too obtrusive. I have it on the dash in the corner next to the A pillar. I also have a dash mat covering the dash to keep the sun off. I put velcro under the gauge and it stays in place nicely sticking to the dash mat.

Last edited by davchr; 09-07-2017 at 04:45 PM.
bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Several months ago, i had similar symptoms. A/C was behaving strangely and aux. fans were staying on. Turned out to be the infamous water pump failure. Don't wair too long!

bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 375 Posts

Anything to do with overheating cooling system symptoms on any XK150 should be investigated as soon as possible. Our cooling systems are well known to be the weak link in this model's car ownership. Hopefully it's any easier fix and you will be on your way. I empathisize with you BklynChris as I too have the 2010 XK with the early water pump. Mine is original and you can be sure I'm watching it like a Hawk!

bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 916 Posts

If you are going in for an oil change tomorrow have them do a thorough check of the entire cooling system. Then stay by your phone and wait for their call.

bklynchris (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Several months ago, i had similar symptoms. A/C was behaving strangely and aux. fans were staying on. Turned out to be the infamous water pump failure. Don't wair too long!
Taking it in tomorrow.....I was stranded on the side of the road once.....not a good feeling.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Anything to do with overheating cooling system symptoms on any XK150 should be investigated as soon as possible. Our cooling systems are well known to be the weak link in this model's car ownership. Hopefully it's any easier fix and you will be on your way. I empathisize with you BklynChris as I too have the 2010 XK with the early water pump. Mine is original and you can be sure I'm watching it like a Hawk!
yeah, it scared me, but being on this forum, I've heard many times of the water pump issue....I'll know more tomorrow. If I know my mechanic, he'll maximize his profits in this situation, but what can you do?

Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davchr
I am happy with mine. It also has an OBD reader and you can program three OBD outputs to display on the unit. One with a sort of audible audible alarm that I use for temperature.

It is not too obtrusive. I have it on the dash in the corner next to the A pillar. I also have a dash mat covering the dash to keep the sun off. I put velcro under the gauge and it stays in place nicely sticking to the dash mat.

Where did you get the cover? That's an excellent idea! Even though I already have the dashboard pull, its not too bad and is an easy fix. I'd love to put a good cover on my dashboard, especially in the valley of the sun..lol

Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 PM

Where did you get the cover? That's an excellent idea! Even though I already have the dashboard pull, its not too bad and is an easy fix. I'd love to put a good cover on my dashboard, especially in the valley of the sun..lol
ebay
Ltd Edition Limited Dash Cover Dashboard Dash Mat/Pad - Beige Jaguar Xk | eBay

Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Thermostats usually "fail" sticking shut or sticking open. If it sticks open it usually does not overheat. But sometimes it will intermittently stick in the shut position, only to open up under pressure, and then "re-stick" itself closed.
A simple roadside test for a thermostat that is stuck shut, either temporarily or permanently, is to check the heat differential between the radiator and the motor. Not necessary to actually touch, just hold your hand close enough to "feel" the heat. If the radiator is cold compared to the motor then your thermostat is stuck closed.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Is the overheating problem a concern for all engines?

Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,249 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
Is the overheating problem a concern for all engines?
Peter, the early 5.0 engine had/ has a weak water pump. Overheating isn't a "common" problem. The issue is little warning. There is no gauge and essentially an idiot light that, if most on here are to be believed, only turns on at the last minute, putting at risk a seized engine.

Any engine can overheat. When our idiot lights turn on, something has or is about to blow (hose, water pump,) and the loss of coolant has already started. Hence the suggestion of the temp gauge.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Peter, the early 5.0 engine had/ has a weak water pump. Overheating isn't a "common" problem. The issue is little warning. There is no gauge and essentially an idiot light that, if most on here are to be believed, only turns on at the last minute, putting at risk a seized engine.

Any engine can overheat. When our idiot lights turn on, something has or is about to blow (hose, water pump,) and the loss of coolant has already started. Hence the suggestion of the temp gauge.
Once again absolutely absurd for a car of this class! Let's think about it, the stupid idiot message only comes on when the driver realistically has only seconds/minutes before detonation of engine. I've spoken to a Jaguar service manager that took a client's car home (5.0 engine) for a coolant issue which did produce the overheat message while driving home and was immediately pulled over. Bottom line.....head gaskets were blown even after car was immediately pulled over and turned off. Pathetic design. Having this looming over my head now... I'm certain I would never have made my purchase 3 years ago. Now, I just have to make sure I'm driving locally and not too far from home. Now this thread is about getting a out of place horrid looking external temp guage to put on top of my beautiful dash to warn me of imminent disaster? What a joyful ownership experience!!!

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.