XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting Intermittent Engine overheating Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,416 Likes on 3,200 Posts

OK, so who in here knows how to Tweak software? Someone needs to at LEAST lower the temperature setting where the light comes on.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I've spoken to a Jaguar service manager that took a client's car home (5.0 engine) for a coolant issue which did produce the overheat message while driving home and was immediately pulled over. Bottom line.....head gaskets were blown even after car was immediately pulled over and turned off. Pathetic design.
So in this case the service manager never got a coolant level low message first or the engine temperature high warning before the engine overheating warning alerted him to the problem? Maybe it's different for the XK but on the XF there are 4 warnings relating to engine temperature - low coolant, engine temp high, engine overheating and engine temperature indication fault.

Last edited by TXFireblade; 09-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Now this thread is about getting a out of place horrid looking external temp guage to put on top of my beautiful dash to warn me of imminent disaster?
Maybe use OBD to read it and an app.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,009 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Now this thread is about getting a out of place horrid looking external temp guage to put on top of my beautiful dash to warn me of imminent disaster?
You do have 2 alternatives that will place a coolant temp gauge on your infotainment display, both utilize a GVIF unit to override the signal from the Nav unit, and replace it with an alternate display:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

and

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
So in this case the service manager never got a coolant level low message first or the engine temperature high warning before the engine overheating warning alerted him to the problem? Maybe it's different for the XK but on the XF there are 4 warnings relating to engine temperature - low coolant, engine temp high, engine overheating and engine temperature indication fault.

Yes the warning was there but didn't help. The XF and previous models had different warning systems to help save the car. Yet... the XK150 has barely a parachute and thus is not a car that can be reliable for long term driving. Very sad. Still many of these cars are still on Lease and owners don't care. Only educated buyers purchasing these off lease cars or older XK150s need to know but most don't. Whatever.