XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting an itch for a Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020 | 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Evora 400 over an R8 any day IMO. If you want a convertible, how about V12 Vantage Roadster?

The 2nd R8 styling is a nice improvement though over the original.

The following users liked this post:
steve_k_xk (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020 | 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
My A6 3.0 quattro was V reliable and the only car I've ever had that I've done 1000 miles on a single tank. VCDS can run from a cheap windows driven Acer tablet without issue

On the R8, I think it would kill me getting in/out...and I'm a short@rse!
My problem with my A8s was that it had Ferrari neediness with reserved or near bland sedan styling. It's like how you put up with a supermodel for their looks and take **** you wouldn't with a 6. That was my issue with my A8s; legitimately I LOVED the way they drove; even the V8 car was spritely and handled better than it had any business to. In snow? OUTSTANDING. Rode nice too. The W12 car was a bit more luxurious but more problematic with the added features, and the crammed in engine, not that the V8 car was full of extra engine bay room.

I'm not anti-VW, but its like Jaguar in that some models and configurations are MUCH needier than others. R8s have appealed to me; a base V8 car with a stick would still be amazing. I do not believe its the maintenance free supercar that some people think it is but its better than say a Ferrari or Lamborghini of the same era in that regard. I also like that even at its shoutiest, its more reserved.

The following 2 users liked this post by 80sRule:
Cee Jay (09-08-2020), takeapieandrun (09-10-2020)
Old 09-08-2020 | 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
my A8s was that it had Ferrari neediness with reserved or near bland sedan styling. It's like how you put up with a supermodel for their looks and take **** you wouldn't with a 6. That was my issue with my A8s; legitimately I LOVED the way they drove; e
One of the things I love about the A8 is the wolf in sheep's clothing.Kinda bland on the outside. Almost sedate, if you will. I live for the looks on faces of the 'Vette, Camaro, BMW or Challenger drivers who expect to be a couple of car lengths ahead and are barely hanging on to my back bumper. A sedan? A Goddamm sedan??

The following 2 users liked this post by Scott in PA:
MarkyUK (09-10-2020), ralphwg (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020 | 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
One of the things I love about the A8 is the wolf in sheep's clothing.Kinda bland on the outside. Almost sedate, if you will. I live for the looks on faces of the 'Vette, Camaro, BMW or Challenger drivers who expect to be a couple of car lengths ahead and are barely hanging on to my back bumper. A sedan? A Goddamm sedan??
Why would they even bother posturing with a sedan? Are you sure they were racing?
A buddy of mine had a dad who thought his tiny little gross Miata was Da Shizzle on the street. He put little car stickers on the side just like a fighter pilot. Says they were his 'kills'. Yeah, I don't think so.

steve_k_xk (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020 | 05:25 AM

No, not racing.. that's only for the track. If there is one lesson in life I didn't have to learn the hard way, that's it.

More like having fun on the highway when traffic allows.... there are a couple great spots near us that have minimal patrols and maximum visibility.....beautiful 1/2 mile entrance ramps that just beg for you to punch it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Scott in PA:
Cee Jay (09-09-2020), ralphwg (09-09-2020), Sean W (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 09:30 AM

I went from a Jag to an ordinary Chevy. Absolutely love the Z06 !!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkN:
JagWire_5280 (09-10-2020), Pcar2Jag (09-12-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 10:07 AM

I looked at the R8 before getting the SVR ftype. And love the R8. Found it surprisingly not as balanced and super low. Technology wasn’t as nice as ftype.
What about a Huracan? AWD? Also owned a ton of Audi’s including the TT...love my ftype V8 SVR.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:13 AM

I sold used parts for 27 years and Audi owners were hands-down the most unhappy and agonized bunch of anyone I dealt with. **** transmissions, no rebuilt engines available, super expensive to work on due to the need to tear off the entire front end/bumper in order to do almost anything, and they break. A lot. Do what you want, but I guarantee you will learn about all the above and more. Personally, I’d rather have a colonoscopy with a red hot poker.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ringtail:
Cee Jay (09-10-2020), MarkyUK (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ringtail
I sold used parts for 27 years and Audi owners were hands-down the most unhappy and agonized bunch of anyone I dealt with. **** transmissions, no rebuilt engines available, super expensive to work on due to the need to tear off the entire front end/bumper in order to do almost anything, and they break. A lot. Do what you want, but I guarantee you will learn about all the above and more. Personally, I’d rather have a colonoscopy with a red hot poker.
I agree with this guy ^ ^ ^ ^. I have an Indie buddy who works on everything, and he refuses to work on any Audi unless it's just brakes or an oil change. He won't troubleshoot anything on them nor even do an A/C recharge because he may find a problem with that.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm, ... This is a surprising conversation (...cringe). I "had" been planning to replace the XF Sportbrake with a used Audi RS7 in a few years. The RS7's performance flat-out kills my '03 XKR and even the Ferrari 360. I thought the Audi would be fun (and even a bit useful) for a while. A hatchback sedan that will do 0 to 60 in 3 and half seconds? Talk about a wolf (Godzilla?) in sheep's clothing. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research, but at least that move is a few years out. Time to think.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:50 AM

To each their own. Most of us Audi owners don't go for used parts in our six-figure cars. My Audi's have been among the most trouble-free cars I've owned in 45+ years of driving having owned dozens of cars.

Of course, I'd be echoing your sentiments about incredibly poor reliability if we sere talking Ford or Dodge.

smokinduc (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I took a 2020 C7 for a test drive, I didn't think it was much at all. Even the non-Z06 was too rough a ride even in Comfort Mode, and it was less gutsy than my XRK. Although they look fantastic, I'd not buy one.

R8s look like baboon butt. 911s look like a stepped-on bug, and like every other Porsche built since the Horse and Buggy days. McLarens look good, but those tail lights are goofy.
BUT, I'd buy a McLaren any day of the year. Ever.
Also this, for comparison:

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Docko (09-10-2020), mosesbotbol (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay,
I've not ridden in a C-7 Corvette, but I can tell you as sure as the sun will rise, it can't be as bad a ride as the Nissan GTR. I went for an 80 mile round trip ride in a friend's GTR for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and by far!!! it was the worst feeling, sounding, P.O.S. I have ever had the displeasure of riding in. It was harsh, exceedingly noisy, and every time the transmission shifted, it felt like the whole car was falling apart. There may be great performance but the sacrifices are too much. I told my friend that it was so bad that I would never ride in it again!

Cee Jay (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
BUT, I'd buy a McLaren any day of the year. Ever.
If I were looking at the price range for a pure sports car, the McLaren would be a good choice. Would I take it over a V12 Vantage S or a 458 Italia? Not sure.

Cee Jay (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020 | 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
Hmmm, ... This is a surprising conversation (...cringe). I "had" been planning to replace the XF Sportbrake with a used Audi RS7 in a few years. The RS7's performance flat-out kills my '03 XKR and even the Ferrari 360. I thought the Audi would be fun (and even a bit useful) for a while. A hatchback sedan that will do 0 to 60 in 3 and half seconds? Talk about a wolf (Godzilla?) in sheep's clothing. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research, but at least that move is a few years out. Time to think.
Since you're a wagon fan, I am too, 2018 SportBrake owner, how about a Audi RS6 Avant, same 591HP engine as the RS7, in 2+ years when they've depreciated about half of what they'll sell for later this year and next year ?

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 09-10-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2020 | 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by MarkN
I went from a Jag to an ordinary Chevy. Absolutely love the Z06 !!!!!

7-speed Manual or Automatic ? For people who love to shift their own gears the C7 Z06 7-speed is about as fun as you can get, the Shelby GT350 would be close, for an incredibly reasonable price. No more shifting in the C8 even if you wanted to, why I wouldn't even consider a C8, but would love to get a C7 7-speed someday.

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 09-10-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2020 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
If I were looking at the price range for a pure sports car, the McLaren would be a good choice. Would I take it over a V12 Vantage S or a 458 Italia? Not sure.
Every one of theses is a winner. Having seen all three in person, I'd give the ever-so-slightest-nod to the McClaren.

Old 09-10-2020 | 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
Every one of theses is a winner. Having seen all three in person, I'd give the ever-so-slightest-nod to the McClaren.
Forgot to add the new Acura NSX into the mix too. For trouble free ownership, I would get the NSX. I drove the Northeast Acura NSX demo car this winter. It was been beaten on by every auto journalist in the Northeast for years. Been to dozens of track days. It has 70K miles on it and I could count as many sets of previous tires installed. If they told me it had 10K miles on I'd believe it. Car was tight as a drum. The performance is just wow. Cornering speeds like few cars can handle. Uses the same tech as the La Ferrari and 918 Spyder. Super impressive if you're fine with an Acura. A real masterpiece of craftsmanship and engineering; one heck of deal if state-of-the-art technology is what you're after. I say that as NSX is a good competitor for the McLaren range. Now that I think about it, I'd take the NSX over similarly priced McLaren.

Not really a competitor for the 458 or V12 Vantage. They're not as technology driven cars in comparison.

Old 09-10-2020 | 02:17 PM

I had a 2012 XJ 5.0sc... lovely ... the most beautifull car I ever drove... but... I have it for 6 months and I could drive it for 1.... lots and lots of electrical problems... even the hazzard lights turn on and off foe no reason even at night in my parking lot and... no battery in the morning.... chamge it for a 2014 audi a7 3.0T.... muuuuuch better in every single thing... except for the look and power... not a single problem... and it has 20k km more than the jag...

Old 09-10-2020 | 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagWire_5280
Since you're a wagon fan, I am too, 2018 SportBrake owner, how about a Audi RS6 Avant, same 591HP engine as the RS7, in 2+ years when they've depreciated about half of what they'll sell for later this year and next year ?
I'm actually much more of a Hatchback guy (but wagons are definitely preferable to SUVs). I've had 2 Triumph GT6s and two Datsun 280ZXs over the years (I also love straight-6 engines!). I can't believe the Avant goes for over $140K - that's truly absurd considering a new RS7 is less than $120K. But you're spot-on correct - let someone else "enjoy" that initial depreciation and deal with all the infant mortalities. You and I can pick up that road proven car for "dimes on the dollar" and thank the IPO for taking care of our car in the meantime. :-)

But we've hijacked the thread here. Yes - the X100/X150 will definitely be classics (especially the X100 Coupes). We can talk about all kinds of cars that have piqued our interest since, but none of them are as pretty or just plain old sweet to drive. To be a classic, I think a car needs to be timeless. That's the X100. Update some of the electronics and Jaguar could sell those cars, new, today. Many, many guys would still swoon to see a new one in a show room.

JagWire_5280 (09-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Getting an itch for a Audi R8