XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting an itch for a Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
My problem with my A8s was that it had Ferrari neediness with reserved or near bland sedan styling. It's like how you put up with a supermodel for their looks and take **** you wouldn't with a 6. That was my issue with my A8s; legitimately I LOVED the way they drove; even the V8 car was spritely and handled better than it had any business to. In snow? OUTSTANDING. Rode nice too. The W12 car was a bit more luxurious but more problematic with the added features, and the crammed in engine, not that the V8 car was full of extra engine bay room.

I'm not anti-VW, but its like Jaguar in that some models and configurations are MUCH needier than others. R8s have appealed to me; a base V8 car with a stick would still be amazing. I do not believe its the maintenance free supercar that some people think it is but its better than say a Ferrari or Lamborghini of the same era in that regard. I also like that even at its shoutiest, its more reserved.
I always find this assumption interesting about Ferrari and Lamborghini. For the longest time I stayed away from them when I would read posts about the "neediness" or the issue with maintaining them. I decided that I would go for it anyway and have now owned both. I currently still have the Ferrari and so far haven't had any issues. I plan to film a cross country road trip in it soon actually as part of a production series. Also, the Audi R8 is a LOT like the Gallardo in many ways underneath the shell (V10 model of course). Which Ferrari did you own that was a hassle? I do know the 355's and before were troublesome, and the engine out service was/is the worst. I would stay away from that unless I was doing the work myself. But anything after that in my experience is fine. Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc, They are all fine. I would bet money this guy could go for the R8 and never look back at a Jaguar. My jaguar doesn't even come CLOSE to the driving experience of the Ferrari. I have never owned the R8, but I would bet on it. My two cents

Old 09-10-2020, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringtail
I sold used parts for 27 years and Audi owners were hands-down the most unhappy and agonized bunch of anyone I dealt with. **** transmissions, no rebuilt engines available, super expensive to work on due to the need to tear off the entire front end/bumper in order to do almost anything, and they break. A lot. Do what you want, but I guarantee you will learn about all the above and more. Personally, I’d rather have a colonoscopy with a red hot poker.
I have owned various A4 and A6 Audis over the years, both manual and auto and all were stone cold reliable. Maybe I had luck on my side

Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
The problem is the lack of problems with Jags. The Audi will out perform the X150 in every way but they are awful to maintain. I speak from other people’s experience many of whom keep going back for more...
I haven't experienced any real mechanical issues but I'm very displeased with the cabin. The window controls are at the top and the memory seat controls are at your finger tips. I hate this placement. I went in a few months ago to purchase a Land Rover Sport only to discover they have screwed up the design of the Sport too by placing the window controllers at the top rather than where most Americans are accustomed...at the finger tips. My window controls are constantly taking on rain, I have to move my arm every time I want to adjust my windows, the annoying beggars on the street can see when I reach to roll up my window. The passenger side doesn't include an unlock button so my daughter has to crawl over the middle section to unlock the door for me when I leave her alone in the car, The heated seat & air controllers (dashboard, feet, main cabin) are too similar & too close together. I always hesitate when reaching to make an adjustment, I can't reach into that side pouch when sitting in the car on the right of the driver's seat. The infotainment processor is incredibly slow and the cabin is just lackluster.

We're considering the Audi as well just apprehensive about the maintenance.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Scardini1,
I have both an X100 convertible and an X150 5.0L coupe. While I agree with you about the classic looks of the X100, once you've owned an X150, you can't even drive the X100 any longer. I know this from first hand experience. The X100's ride is hard, it doesn't handle well at speed, it will scare the life out of you at speeds that the X150 laughs at. But, it sure is beautiful, which is why I haven't sold mine, and though mine is in nearly perfect condition, and is a baby compared to yours (only 175,000 miles), it's worth nearly nothing were I to try. My X150 has nearly 180,000 miles and looks and drives like a new car and in terms of power and delivery will compete very nicely with some of the models you've mentioned (especially with a pulley, tune, and exhaust upgrade, as I have done). But for my sports car addiction, my weekend car is my 500+hp '72 De Tomaso Pantera which I wouldn't trade for any modern supercar, just so much better to look at. You just can't beat 70's Italian wedge design, unadorned with superfluous scoops, vents, and plastic gizmos like those that make every Lambo since after the Miura look like crap imho.

The following 4 users liked this post by tberg:
jahummer (09-11-2020), MarkN (09-12-2020), mosesbotbol (09-10-2020), ralphwg (09-12-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Lol at all the responses , nice that everyones taste is different . I personally like the R8 ragtop but I hate maintenance issues. Who knows maybe I will get a chevelle rag and drop a big hp engine in . I think its the covid that has me looking for change. We were looking this summer at having an inground pool installed, never wanted one before but with at least a year to get one installed that itch is niw gone, thank god.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Random thoughts:
My but the R8 has turned ugly... make mine a dark blue pre facelift with S tronic... but yeah, ingress and egress isn’t the best.
Went to a rental place at the speedway in N Vegas a few years ago. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi and McLaren, everything you’d ever want to try on the track. One of the techs told me out of all of them, the McLarens needed the most maintenance. Keep in mind this likely represents a multiple of at least 10 over normal use.
Corvette, whether C5,6 or 7, too loud and harsh for a street car. For me anyway. Couple weeks from now I get to try a C8 on the local track, looking forward to it.
Aston’s are beautiful, but I’m not buying anything that needs the intake manifold removed to do practically anything, and the V8 just isn’t fast enough.

F types are too cramped and loud. Wish they still made the XKR!

Old 09-11-2020, 04:01 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I took a 2020 C7 for a test drive, I didn't think it was much at all. Even the non-Z06 was too rough a ride even in Comfort Mode, and it was less gutsy than my XRK. Although they look fantastic, I'd not buy one.

R8s look like baboon butt. 911s look like a stepped-on bug, and like every other Porsche built since the Horse and Buggy days. McLarens look good, but those tail lights are goofy.
BUT, I'd buy a McLaren any day of the year. Ever.
Also this, for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiT9...x3g&index=2308
While my Jaguar was a more comfortable ride I find the C-7 very tolerable especially on the highway. Even comfortable! Z06 performance is a few level ups from the base Stingray, GrandSport or Z-51. I love the ride of an XK-R but Z06 has so much more raw power.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:02 AM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Go from a Jaaaaaaag to a Volkswagen? Ugh.
I'll admit, Audis are nice looking cars. Too bad they suck at everything else.
+1 gazillion

I just have a thing against VW, so there is that. As my son would say, the R8 looks like a toaster.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pcar2Jag:
Cee Jay (09-11-2020), mosesbotbol (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

R8 is on my radar in a few+ years as well, honestly tied with a X150 XKR-S coupe, but as an addition. Have driven both the V8 and V10 R8s and smitten for years- agreed on a V8 with a stick.

I've had my triple-black 2000 X100 XKR for nearly eight years now (20 years old and 150k mi) and can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's becoming my classic car that gets sparingly driven with looks becoming more timeless by the year. I get more compliments every time I take it out now than I ever did when I first got it, for whatever that's worth. I think that shift is happening, but no telling if the market will start appreciating them in that way (which is the ever loving dream of the X100 forum! ).

At any rate, my daily driver two cars ago that I sold after 7 years of ownership at the end of 2016 was a loaded black on black alcantara 2002 Audi S8. Best car I ever had overall. For what it was at the time, it was fantastic in fit and finish, and the 7200rpm redline and sound never, ever, got old. Ronin AF. It gave me no maintenance nightmares, but it had the more reliable 4.2 V8 with the timing belt on the front, not the later chain on the rear. Very understated on the outside, but elegant and got taken seriously at most valets (at least back then). Good stock examples of the D2 S8 are still a wonderful modern classic sport-luxury sedan- similar thought process with the X100 today.

I used to be a huge Audi guy, with the Jag (or a 944 Turbo prior to it) on the side, but I have almost zero interest in Audis now aside from a R8 on the side one day. Not that they aren't making incredible stuff for the most part (how far the S8 has come!!), but I've since moved out to the sticks years ago and gone down the rabbit hole of Land Cruisers and backwoods exploring.

The following users liked this post:
Scott in PA (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
+1 gazillion

I just have a thing against VW, so there is that. As my son would say, the R8 looks like a toaster.
If anyone is interested, this is the source for Pcar2Jag's avatar:

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (09-11-2020), Pcar2Jag (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

If anyone is interested, this is the source for Pcar2Jag's avatar:

Haha! Love it. I've been through a few cars, and I do like the Porsche. Still like the 997 version. However, I've never liked the VW or Audi line of vehicles, and that goes way back to the late 80s. What can I say? It's personal.

But thank you for pointing out that avi. It's time to change it anyway.

I'm very happy that I got this F Type.