XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting an XK soon, anything I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Function test everything. Looks like the wiper control cap is missing which is odd but it looks like a replacement switch is in the box. Also looks like the fender vent turn signal lights have been painted over. Adaptive cruise is good. White stitched black interior is nice. I like the wood too.

What's the cars history and back story?

Go download the manuals and handbooks now and start reading about how the controls function.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the carfax, it's a two owner car that lived a fairly sedentary, albeit high mileage life. What I don't get is that the place said the car was a trade in... but the carfax said it was sold at auction? Seems somewhat suspicious.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Higher mileage stuff is sold at auction, not on the dealers trade in lot. They may have written it off if it needed too much work to be worth their profit margin and sold it at auction.

How much mileage?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Higher mileage stuff is sold at auction, not on the dealers trade in lot. They may have written it off if it needed too much work to be worth their profit margin and sold it at auction.

How much mileage?
72K miles, which to me is pretty high.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Unless the hood wasn't fully closed, it looks like the hood doesn't fit properly as the gap between the fender and the hood is way off, particularly by the windshield. I'd be concerned about an improper collision repair. I suggest that you make your purchase contingent on acceptable Pre-Purchase Inspections, at your expense, by a Jaguar dealer and Jaguar-approved body shop for aluminum repairs. It's money well spent, and can give you bargaining leverage with the seller.

You must do your own due diligence. You can't rely on CarFax because they report only what is reported to them; so, if a body shop doesn't tell CarFax those repairs fall through the crack. Read the CarFax disclaimers. Their report isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I saw the hood lifted and assumed it not to be closed. Could be the right side latch didn't close.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Unless the hood wasn't fully closed, it looks like the hood doesn't fit properly as the gap between the fender and the hood is way off, particularly by the windshield. I'd be concerned about an improper collision repair. I suggest that you make your purchase contingent on acceptable Pre-Purchase Inspections, at your expense, by a Jaguar dealer and Jaguar-approved body shop for aluminum repairs. It's money well spent, and can give you bargaining leverage with the seller.

You must do your own due diligence. You can't rely on CarFax because they report only what is reported to them; so, if a body shop doesn't tell CarFax those repairs fall through the crack. Read the CarFax disclaimers. Their report isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
The hood was most certainly not closed, I got a look at the engine bay but didn’t take any photos, although I didn’t see any glaring issues. We’re definitely having a Jaguar mechanic look at it before we say anything on purchasing, although thank you for the advice on the CarFax. I’m fairly new to well, life (seeing as I’m still a teen) so I have many things to learn, especially about car buying.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Here’s a picture of the other side.
They’re asking 22K for the car.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M4A3E2
I’m fairly new to well, life (seeing as I’m still a teen) so I have many things to learn, especially about car buying.
Buying a used car is like having unprotected sex on a first date. You're doing it all for you but don't want to get stuck with some unexpected baggage. So do due diligence and protect yourself. Did you download the handbook yet so you actually know what the car is supposed to do and what it isn't?

Per the price, it is what it is. Sounds average, maybe high for the mileage so don't get all sweaty over your first blush with her.

7 years and 70k is about right for a daily driver. At least you know the car was enjoyed. It does however make me curious where it was traded in at because it's about prime for used premium showroom bait. Basically this car would sit in the showroom bringing in folks who end up with more mundane versions.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:36 PM

Buying a used car is like having unprotected sex on a first date. You're doing it all for you but don't want to get stuck with some unexpected baggage. So do due diligence and protect yourself. Did you download the handbook yet so you actually know what the car is supposed to do and what it isn't?

Per the price, it is what it is. Sounds average, maybe high for the mileage so don't get all sweaty over your first blush with her.

7 years and 70k is about right for a daily driver. At least you know the car was enjoyed. It does however make me curious where it was traded in at because it's about prime for used premium showroom bait. Basically this car would sit in the showroom bringing in folks who end up with more mundane versions.
The place it's at has a F430, a Wraith, and a Continental GT as their showroom cars. I've downloaded the handbook, and began reading through, though I plan to give a more in-depth read during school tomorrow. I'm fairly excited for this car, not my dream car (1969 vette) but it's nothing short of spectacular. I'm excited to see what it looks like on Wednesday.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

If this is the place, it's in Marietta, a suburb north of Atlanta. But it looks like the Wraith and Continental GT may have already sold since they're not on the website. They have a Continental Flying Spur, an F430, and an XKR that appears to be the one you're considering.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
If this is the place, it's in Marietta, a suburb north of Atlanta. But it looks like the Wraith and Continental GT may have already sold since they're not on the website. They have a Continental Flying Spur, an F430, and an XKR that appears to be the one you're considering.

That would be the place! The Conty had a price listed, though I don't recall the Wraith. You're in the Marietta area too I take it?

Old 03-05-2018, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

1. I would want the paint swirls and chips sorted before taking it.
2. History/the PO. I'd avoid an XK that had belonged to a young man as a first car.

Enjoy it. I had an E-Type when I was eighteen. Didn't do myself or anyone else any harm and didn't damage the car but I soon learned it was quicker than me and developed appropriate skills.

Fifty years and many Jaguars later, I still enjoy them.

Graham

Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Lets hope this wasn't the parking lot burnout that was on the other post.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

@M4A3E2 - your car looks great. It has one of better wheel designs to boot. Seeing how you already own it, a PPI is just going to give you a reference point. What I would do now is bring it an indy repair shop and have the radiator fluid and brake fluid changed. If the car is over 50K miles, have the transmission pan/filter/fluid service done. Consider a new battery if there are weird electronic gremlins experienced and buy a CTEK recharger.

I would not have the dealership polish the car. I'd ask for a discount and go to your locale's expert detailing place.

These cars are pretty reliable and well built. Keep in mind you are buying a car that was like 100K new and when it comes time to repair, it's still a 100K car despite how much you paid for it. Cars like Aston and like do annual brake fluid flushes and oil changes regardless if you drove 7k or 300 miles... I would suggest the same on your XKR and it is also a time to get your car on the lift to take a look around.

Don't go cheap on tires when it comes time.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:39 AM

My parents have been helping me out with a lot of this, seeing as they have a lot more experience, though typically with new cars.

That being said, that’s why it wasn’t picked up yesterday, it has cosmetic flaws that are being sorted out. Unless I find a good mechanic, Im likely going to take it to a dealer for servicing, and just bite the price, since that’s what I signed up for with a car like this.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

. Unless I find a good mechanic, Im likely going to take it to a dealer for servicing, and just bite the price, since that’s what I signed up for with a car like this.
Put some time into finding a good indy mechanic. There must be some places around you. The fluid services are nothing special, just make sure they are using OEM products. There are some online advertisers here with good prices. Unless the Jaguar dealer is a long time dealer with long term staff (becoming rarer with JLR mandates) I would be strong on the indy route.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Unless I find a good mechanic, Im likely going to take it to a dealer for servicing, and just bite the price, since that’s what I signed up for with a car like this.
Um, you're a teenager. Use your Google-fu to figure out what wrong with it and how to fix it. You are half way there by joining this forum. Nothing on these cars is particularly exotic other than the looks. What you gain by learning now will benefit you for the rest of your life. Getting into the 'pay the dealer' mode now will cost you both in cash and anxiety for every little problem that comes along for the rest of your life.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Um, you're a teenager. Use your Google-fu to figure out what wrong with it and how to fix it. You are half way there by joining this forum. Nothing on these cars is particularly exotic other than the looks. What you gain by learning now will benefit you for the rest of your life. Getting into the 'pay the dealer' mode now will cost you both in cash and anxiety for every little problem that comes along for the rest of your life.
That’s fair. I’ve been reading up on the owners manual, and it seems fairly self explanatory, nothing insane.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

You'll be getting laid like rug in that XKR; good for you.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Getting an XK soon, anything I need to know?