XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

GhostRider detail/correction

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default GhostRider detail/correction

GhostRider,

Posting here so that others can benefit too.

Found a detailer for you in MA. Who will do the paint correction and get the car to better than factory condition as it will last that way lot longer than factory did.

The reason I got a recommendation for you from a manufacturer of detailing products is that most detailers actually do more harm than good. Yes it looks good but one of two things has happened, you have significantly reduced the thickness of the clearcoat or swirls are just masked with the coating and they will reappear when the coating wears off in months.

Detailers who are passionate about what they do, perfectionists and reasonable is a contradiction in terms. This guy is rare and well within your budget. Moreover you will enjoy the experience because he has some incredible cars in there right now.

Clear Bra Installation - Car Detailing | Unique Car Care - Andover, MA

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I may give them a call when I get my next car. Still on the fence about ceramic coatings, but PDR and paint correction could be something I am interested in.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Too bad you are not close to me. Its been a passion of mine since childhood, worked alongside masters and now beyond concourse level myself. Modern tools (which I dont use) have made it foolproof. I can leapfrog you.

Back to your point.
There is a new game changing ceramic coating. forget than for now.

I use a hybrid system, parts of my car have ceramic and parts have Collonite wax.

Nothing repels water like ceramic and nothing attracts dust like ceramic.
I use the ceramic on areas that take long to dry. Such as the rear deck lid on the XK.
Wax where I want the mile deep depth of gloss.

Net result is that I can dry my car with blowing just little air on it. Water just jumps off. Keep in mind all other mechanisms of drying have the potential to induce swirls. Mircrofiber towel for instance, even a clean one has fantastic abrasive qualities. The highest cutting power buffing pad you can buy apart from wool is denim then microfiber.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Is there an original post so we can get some context please?

Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Is there an original post so we can get some context please?
GhostRider was in communication regarding getting detailing.
Rather than only reply by pm, I posted the findings here so as to be of some use to the community.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Look here- pure state of glass. No funny business, overhead lights, polarizing filters.
You can see each and every grain in the rafters above.
Its a joy to have lustrous trophy.
BTW car has clear bra, you can see the line

The following 4 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Cee Jay (06-23-2017), pwpacp (06-23-2017), ralphwg (06-24-2017), Sean W (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

But I how do I find someone with this passion? Those that I've talked to say they really love their work but what you are doing is so much more than that. It scares the heck out of me that I'll choose a detailer that is not up to the standards my XK deserves.

How do it tell who is best?!

Old 06-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
But I how do I find someone with this passion? Those that I've talked to say they really love their work but what you are doing is so much more than that. It scares the heck out of me that I'll choose a detailer that is not up to the standards my XK deserves.

How do it tell who is best?!
Your concerns are well warranted.

The profession is at cross-purposes with the art. Because time is money and they have figured out its easier to speed the process up than to ask for more money.

Speeding up includes eating through the clearcoat in critical areas.

My way of finding someone is easy, I look for artists who havent become too commercialized. One of the ways of doing this is getting someone from the community, who uses paint gauge meters and the right materials. The 'artist' quality materials cost more and work much slower, so I find out from those manufactures who is buying their material. That was the case here.

I would be happy to help others, and even vet their choices.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
pwpacp (06-23-2017), ralphwg (06-24-2017)