XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Global CLOSE (windows) not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Global CLOSE (windows) not working

Hello out there
The setting "Global Close" "ON" doesn’t activate (and consequently this handy feature doesnt work).
If I tap “ON” at the screen, it just switches back to “OFF” after a second. (Global OPEN activates and works fine).

The Jag dealer checked and tells me that it doesn’t activate because of an issue with the passenger door LOCK.
He says: “The lock does not work properly and therefore global close does not activate. This is a known issue on Rage Rover and Jaguar, and the passenger door will probably often not be locked when I think I lock the car.”

Now, the passenger door seems to always lock as it should, so I don’t know whether I can trust that the lock is the problem.
I now have the possibility to purchase a new original lock (that is normally double US/UK price in this country) at a very good price and change it myself (which I understand is not very difficult (?))

=> Any hints on the plausibility of the dealer's verdict?
=> Does it sound reasonably safe that the LOCK is indeed the cause for “global close” not activating? (even if I sense no other signs of the lock not working properly).
=> If yes, will I really need a new lock (that indeed works fine for the main purpose: LOCKING) or is it a simple greasing issue?

Thanks & Kind Regards

Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Have you read your Owner's Handbook?

If you've done everything in the Handbook and it still doesn't work properly, your dealer may be right. To confirm that your passenger door lock is, in fact, defective, lock the car using the alternative window global procedure as described in the right-hand column, above. Then leave your Smartkey fob at least 20 feet away from your car and try to open the passenger door. If it opens it's defective because it wasn't locked. Note that a faulty electrical circuit can cause that door lock to work intermittently, so you need to repeat that test often to be certain of the defect before spending your money at the dealer. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
MarkyUK (03-28-2020), MonkeyJosh('09) (06-05-2022)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Not sure about where your at, but in some areas of the world this is a feature that has to be activated through SDD. I know in the US market Global Close is deactivated and has to be activated through SDD before you can enable the feature through the touch screen. Was this feature working for you and stopped or are you trying to get it to work for the first time?

The following users liked this post:
Nina Flat-Cat (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

If correctly activated and operated, the problem may be as simple as recalibrating both windows. Global won't work if one or both windows isn't calibrated correctly.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Thanks Stuart,

- Yes I have sporadically tested that the passenger door is indeed locked (YES without the keyless device in the pocket).

- I have read the handbook, ……but with a near miss embarrassment: I have somehow taken it for granted that the “Global Close” works by holding the SMART KEY button for 3 seconds (as for Global OPEN) whereas your screenshot indeed states the DOOR HANDLE button as the SOLE option (Security. Makes sense).
THANKS FOR THAT screen shot. Probably same as my handbook, but I didn’t realise that one before now.

- The base problem is however that the vehicle setting for Global Close remains “OFF” (again: It swiftly jumps to “ON” when tapping, but then back to “OFF”), so neither of above “buttons” will work anyway (I have now tested also the DOOR HANDLE button).

So, if it is the LOCK, that lock seems to be good enough for locking but still the system recognises it as defective (I believe it was the dealer Jaguar-diagnostic-device that reported the lock as defective).

But if also the car electronics recognises it as defective (and therefore doesn’t want to activate Global Close), shouldn’t the same system also “protest” (blink/honk) when I lock the car normally to tell me that something is wrong with that lock?

I have no problems investing in a new lock. The car is absolutely immaculate otherwise and I want it to remain like that for years to come. But I have learned that a dealers quick reading from the diagnostics (and just assuming that the door doesn’t lock (WHICH IT DOES) is not to be trusted.

=> So my hope would have been that you e.g. say: “Yes the non-activation of global closing is indeed typically caused by a malfunctioning passenger door lock, and “malfunctioning” does not necessarily mean that it doesn’t (mostly) lock the door”.

If no one (?) is able to confirm “my hope” accordingly, I guess I just have to either live without Global Close or having the lock changed without really knowing whether it will solve anything at all.

Kind Regards

Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

You're in Switzerland, so that function might not be activated. See Texas Traveler's post #5, above. Also do a window reset as Cee Jay suggested in post #6, above.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:47 AM

@ Cee Jay,
I will do the calibration just to be sure (did it some time ago though, as I had to disconnect the battery during transport. And the windows otherwise work perfectly fine.).

@ Texas Traveler: VERY INTERESTING !
I suspect you won (and that all my reluctance to the dealer information is confirmed.
They are good mechanics (Swiss precision!), but too quick on information like this).

The car is in Montreux SWITZERLAND, …….but it was indeed initially delivered with US specifications to Florida! Fully new to me that Global Closing is deactivated in the US (I European will never understand your wonderful country’s logics on these things. You are allowed to ride large motorbikes without a helmet, but not closing two windows?).
Your “solution” sounds plausible. It is as if the system is programmed to “consider for a second” and then reject the “ON” instruction. No error messages whatsoever. Everything else works perfectly fine. It simply doesn’t want to accept an “ON”.

I would have expected one of the largest (and one of the first outside UK if I am not mistaken) Jag representatives in Europe to be aware of this, but…….
So I will NOT buy an expensive lock now, but first, when the car is in for service next time, give them the hint about SDD…..

Thanks again. Impressed with the competence out there !

Take care

(And if someone wonders why someone in Switzerland buys a British car in the US, you can try to find a mint condition, low mileage GREEN X150 in Europe. Europeans (except UK) seem to want to be “modern” and ordered light gray, mid gray, dark grey and perhaps black, and they want to be “practical” (why do they then buy an XK?) so the soft top must be black. Luckily you in the US still see the classic beauty of Green/beige/beige. Considering an Aston, and I know where to search).

MarkyUK (03-28-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
I have somehow taken it for granted that the “Global Close” works by holding the SMART KEY button for 3 seconds (as for Global OPEN) whereas your screenshot indeed states the DOOR HANDLE button as the SOLE option (Security. Makes sense).
Huh? The screen shot says that global close can be initiated by pressing and holding the lock button on the Jaguar Smart Key as well.

It works on my '10 XKR and did on my '07 XKR as well but mine are/were Japanese spec so had the feature enabled.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, I decided to see how Global Close worked (or didn't) on my 2009 4.2L XKR Portfolio convertible. With the top up, doors locked and windows up, I pressed and held the unlock button on my Smartkey. The doors unlocked anld the windows went all the way down. Next, I pressed and held the lock button on my Smartkey and the door locked ... but the windows didn't move! I tried again to no avail. So, with my Smartkey in my hand, I pressed the lock/unlock button on the door handle and ... voila! ... the windows went up!

Notwithstanding the Owner's Handbook, I was unable to close the windows using the Smartkey. The only way I was able to get the windows to close was with the button on the door handle. I have no idea if it came from the factory that way or if the dealer used SDD to activate anything.

But wait - there's more! Several years ago, I installed the remote control soft top kit with the optional rear window controls invented by Forum member WhiteXKR (a.k.a. Steve, The Jag Wrangler). That accessory uses the Smartkey to raise or lower the top. By first pressing the headlight button, you can simultaneously unlock the car and lower the top and windows by pressing the unlock button. Conversely, pressing the headlight button and then the lock buttons simultaneously raises the top and windows and locks the doors. The windows can also be operated using the switches on the door, and both rear windows can be simultaneously lowered or raised independent of the front windows. So, ... With the top down, I can raise the top, lock the doors and close all the windows with my Smartkey by pressing the headlight button followed by the lock button - and there's no need to hold the buttons. Dropping the top and windows works the same way. That's how the factory should have done it.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-26-2020 at 09:14 PM.
TexasTraveler (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

deleted

Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Out of curiosity, I decided to see how Global Close worked (or didn't) on my 2009 4.2L XKR Portfolio convertible. With the top up, doors locked and windows up, I pressed and held the unlock button on my Smartkey. The doors unlocked anld the windows went all the way down. Next, I pressed and held the lock button on my Smartkey and the door locked ... but the windows didn't move! I tried again to no avail. So, with my Smartkey in my hand, I pressed the lock/unlock button on the door handle and ... voila! ... the windows went up!

Notwithstanding the Owner's Handbook, I was unable to close the windows using the Smartkey. The only way I was able to get the windows to close was with the button on the door handle. I have no idea if it came from the factory that way or if the dealer used SDD to activate anything.

But wait - there's more! Several years ago, I installed the remote control soft top kit with the optional rear window controls invented by Forum member WhiteXKR (a.k.a. Steve, The Jag Wrangler). That accessory uses the Smartkey to raise or lower the top. By first pressing the headlight button, you can simultaneously unlock the car and lower the top and windows by pressing the unlock button. Conversely, pressing the headlight button and then the lock buttons simultaneously raises the top and windows and locks the doors. The windows can also be operated using the switches on the door, and both rear windows can be simultaneously lowered or raised independent of the front windows. So, ... With the top down, I can raise the top, lock the doors and close all the windows with my Smartkey by pressing the headlight button followed by the lock button - and there's no need to hold the buttons. Dropping the top and windows works the same way. That's how the factory should have done it.
In addition to using the Headlight/unlock buttons, you can also do a quick three-presses to accomplish the same thing. Both on the remote and on the door handle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (03-28-2020), Stuart S (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Ceejay - Its three quick presses on the lock or unlock button depending upon what you want to do. Lock for windows and top up and unlock for windows and top down. Iuse this method fairly often as well as three quick presses of the door button to lock up after getting out.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Ceejay - Its three quick presses on the lock or unlock button depending upon what you want to do. Lock for windows and top up and unlock for windows and top down. I use this method fairly often as well as three quick presses of the door button to lock up after getting out.
Yeah, that's what I said.
Awhile ago, an emissions station guy went out to pull my car into the stall and I watched as the top came down so I went out to laugh at him for pushing Unlock three or more times. I had him do the LOCK three times when it was down, he had a jolly good time watching it go back up.

ralphwg (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
Huh? The screen shot says that global close can be initiated by pressing and holding the lock button on the Jaguar Smart Key as well.

It works on my '10 XKR and did on my '07 XKR as well but mine are/were Japanese spec so had the feature enabled.
@ u102768,
Yes, the screen shot mentions the smart key. It is my HANDBOOK (JJM 180230101) that states
the DOOR HANDLE button as the SOLE option.
It states the handle option TWICE, with the same header but in in different words and without any "alternatively" as in the screen shot:
"Press and hold ....door handle" and "can be performed by pressing .......driver's door handle".
(only Global OPENING mentions the Smart Key, and that works fine).

It doesn't play much role which button could have worked though, as the feature is "OFF" in the vehicle system and refuses to accept "ON".
=> Texas Traveler's "I know in the US market Global Close is deactivated" probably explains what didn't dawn to my Jag dealer who wanted to change the fine working door lock instead at considerable cost....

I really "need" this feature as I always drive with the top and windows open, and I tend to initially forget closing the windows when parking. =>Then I remember. =>Open the car again. =>Activate the system. =>Pull the window switches. =>Close the car again.
I even thought of the "Jag Wrangler" but am a little reluctant to "jailbreak" the car's electronics.
KR

Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Ah, that makes sense then. The 18 in JJM 18... means it is a USA handbook.

The UK is JJM 10... and the wording in that matches the screenshot.

It would be interesting to look in the CCF on a US spec car and see if these are greyed out and what they are set to:

I think that they aren't greyed out on my Japanese spec car because I can configure them from the touch screen so they are customer configurable.

Not sure if they are the same on a US spec car but there is something in the country specific code that overrides it or whether they are just greyed out.

If Global Close is greyed out on yours and set to Disable then a dealer won't be able to change it easily but it is possible to do with the right tools.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Mine are Global Open and Close, and I'd not think that an installed option would be greyed to preclude the option to disable it. I've never had reason to check the CCF for this, however.
If I remember correctly, the Option for On and Off is in the Vehicle section of the MENU on the TSD. Course, that'd only apply if it IS Enabled.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
... I even thought of the "Jag Wrangler" but am a little reluctant to "jailbreak" the car's electronics.
KR
You shouldn't be; there's no reason to worry about any problems being caused by WhiteXKR's device. I was one of Steve's first customers and installed it myself. I am not a mechanic but have experience and expertise in assembling toys for my grandkids, so I figured I could do it. Steve's instructions are outstanding, with clear and unambiguous step-by-step details and photos. Anyone who can read and follow instructions and who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. Just take your time and double check your work before moving on to the next step. It took me two days, which is much longer than it took everyone else, but I'm retired and was in no hurry and had to take lots of breaks to stretch because it's tight working in the back seat. A lot of Forum members have installed this mod and I don't recall ever seeing a single complaint about it posted on this Forum. But there are accolades galore, particularly from those who, like myself, installed the optional rear window controls. It's amazing how calm the cabin is at 70mph with the top down and all 4 windows up and a rear wind deflector. There are lots of threads if you want to read more about other owners' experiences. It's really a superb piece of engineering and it's great to be able to control the rear windows.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (03-30-2020), kj07xk (03-30-2020), ralphwg (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Ditto. Installed in 3-4 hours one evening, and that included fighting to get the rear seat backs out, as Steve didn’t know (at that time) about the OEM brackets for the windscreen (the instructions do now, with pictures from my car).
Get it, you won’t regret it.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (03-30-2020), ralphwg (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

I can only speak to what I know about my vehicle, which is an 2010 US market vehicle. The Global Open was enabled and the Global Close was disabled in SDD. I know this because back when I was going to get my reverse camera turned on through the dealer, which they couldn't do, they were able to turn on Global Close for me. So it seems to be a feature that can be turned on from a dealer or anyone with SDD. I do not believe you need a jail broken version of SDD to do this. Someone suggested that Global Close was not enabled because of liability issues. example: a small child or pet hanging out the window or an arm or fingers hanging out the window and this feature activated could cause an accident. Not sure if that is true but it makes sense.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Cee Jay (03-30-2020), u102768 (03-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Global CLOSE (windows) not working