XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Global CLOSE (windows) not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 08:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GLOBAL CLOSE:
Just for clarity when I talk to the (official/large) Jag dealer at next service:
=> What is the correct/precise term of the system and the “chapter” where they will likely be able to enable the activation possibility of “Global Close”? Simply Jaguar’s standard diagnostic?.

…. I now recall that there was another US specific which they claimed not being able to change here in continental Europe: Change the GALLON for MPG from US to UK (I can switch between US MPG and l/100km, but not UK MPG). An entirely non important issue, but perhaps related to above.

PS, for the “….not enabled because of liability issues….” May well be. Everything can be dangerous in someone’s mind. I had a red 308 Ferrari many years ago. I (unfortunately) sold it to a person resident I Germany at the time. In order to get it road legal he needed to put some ugly metal mesh covering the beautiful PininFarina designed side air intakes. We have ever since had our laughs about what these Germans are afraid of (neighboring cat being sucked into the engine?)

WRANGLER:
Yes I seriously consider the Wrangler. It is not mainly the “remote” but the ONE TOUCH for the roof (beyond my understanding that Jag didn’t fit that), and the BACK WINDOWS (wind deflector is nothing for me, but raised back windows for colder days is indeed) I am interested in.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
GLOBAL CLOSE:
Just for clarity when I talk to the (official/large) Jag dealer at next service:
=> What is the correct/precise term of the system and the “chapter” where they will likely be able to enable the activation possibility of “Global Close”? Simply Jaguar’s standard diagnostic?.
My local Dealer was able to enable Global Close without any issues, so your dealer should be able to enable it, the question is will they?

Old 04-12-2022, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Closing

I'm having excatly the same issue as mentioned above on my F PACE.

"Out of curiosity, I decided to see how Global Close worked (or didn't) on my 2009 4.2L XKR Portfolio convertible. With the top up, doors locked and windows up, I pressed and held the unlock button on my Smartkey. The doors unlocked anld the windows went all the way down. Next, I pressed and held the lock button on my Smartkey and the door locked ... but the windows didn't move! I tried again to no avail. So, with my Smartkey in my hand, I pressed the lock/unlock button on the door handle and ... voila! ... the windows went up!

Notwithstanding the Owner's Handbook, I was unable to close the windows using the Smartkey. The only way I was able to get the windows to close was with the button on the door handle. I have no idea if it came from the factory that way or if the dealer used SDD to activate anything."

Just want to ask if anyone knows anyway to fix it?

THANKS
Originally Posted by Stuart S
Out of curiosity, I decided to see how Global Close worked (or didn't) on my 2009 4.2L XKR Portfolio convertible. With the top up, doors locked and windows up, I pressed and held the unlock button on my Smartkey. The doors unlocked anld the windows went all the way down. Next, I pressed and held the lock button on my Smartkey and the door locked ... but the windows didn't move! I tried again to no avail. So, with my Smartkey in my hand, I pressed the lock/unlock button on the door handle and ... voila! ... the windows went up!

Notwithstanding the Owner's Handbook, I was unable to close the windows using the Smartkey. The only way I was able to get the windows to close was with the button on the door handle. I have no idea if it came from the factory that way or if the dealer used SDD to activate anything.

But wait - there's more! Several years ago, I installed the remote control soft top kit with the optional rear window controls invented by Forum member WhiteXKR (a.k.a. Steve, The Jag Wrangler). That accessory uses the Smartkey to raise or lower the top. By first pressing the headlight button, you can simultaneously unlock the car and lower the top and windows by pressing the unlock button. Conversely, pressing the headlight button and then the lock buttons simultaneously raises the top and windows and locks the doors. The windows can also be operated using the switches on the door, and both rear windows can be simultaneously lowered or raised independent of the front windows. So, ... With the top down, I can raise the top, lock the doors and close all the windows with my Smartkey by pressing the headlight button followed by the lock button - and there's no need to hold the buttons. Dropping the top and windows works the same way. That's how the factory should have done it.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SOLVED: Global CLOSE (windows) not working

Hi,
This is now solved. Not in the way one would expect though.
I gave up on the dealer here in Switzerland. They claim that since the car was originally delivered to the Florida/US, they are not able to activate the “Global Close possibility". Hard to believe with all their fancy computers, but....
Anyway: I got the JagWrangler “Convertible Remote Top controller” (a MUST HAVE for any convertible owners), and that solves the issue (for 99% of cases where open windows means that I also had the TOP open).
I close the top with the key-fob, and that will also close all windows.

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
Hello out there
The setting "Global Close" "ON" doesn’t activate (and consequently this handy feature doesnt work).
If I tap “ON” at the screen, it just switches back to “OFF” after a second. (Global OPEN activates and works fine).

The Jag dealer checked and tells me that it doesn’t activate because of an issue with the passenger door LOCK.
He says: “The lock does not work properly and therefore global close does not activate. This is a known issue on Rage Rover and Jaguar, and the passenger door will probably often not be locked when I think I lock the car.”

Now, the passenger door seems to always lock as it should, so I don’t know whether I can trust that the lock is the problem.
I now have the possibility to purchase a new original lock (that is normally double US/UK price in this country) at a very good price and change it myself (which I understand is not very difficult (?))

=> Any hints on the plausibility of the dealer's verdict?
=> Does it sound reasonably safe that the LOCK is indeed the cause for “global close” not activating? (even if I sense no other signs of the lock not working properly).
=> If yes, will I really need a new lock (that indeed works fine for the main purpose: LOCKING) or is it a simple greasing issue?

Thanks & Kind Regards