XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Glove box door flopping open

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Is there a limitation on this TSB for model years? What model year would this TSB go back too?

Old 06-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The TSB says "VIN Range: B00001 Onwards" so basically from the very first X150.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wrair
I nervously attempted the fix myself (2010 XK), mainly because I don't trust the work of my local Jag dealer (came back for a couple of warranty fixes that included free finger print grease marks, scratches around the plastic underneath the wiper blade, in other words, any warranty work requires my post-cleanup!).

Anyhow, the TSB fix includes drilling a whole in a stronger part of the plastic, and I have not had a repeat failure (going on 2 years now).

And, more important, the fix was pretty easy. I don't have the link (sorry), but some kind person in this forum posted great pictures of each step and captions for the pictures that were easy to follow.

Try it. Very satisfying!
I too am always hesitant to bring my car in to the dealership for even an oil change for fear that some slob will either scratch my leather or paint, or as you mentioned leave grease on my suede headliner. All I can do is have the service writer (before starting the work) do a thorough inspection of my pristine car inside and out. Then I have and will mention I'm an absolute fanatic about fastidiousness and to please make sure the tech is exceptionally careful with the handling of my car. There is not much more I can do but keep my fingers crossed. So far I've been lucky as far as I can see. At least they won't be test driving the car.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I too am always hesitant to bring my car in to the dealership for even an oil change for fear that some slob will either scratch my leather or paint, or as you mentioned leave grease on my suede headliner. All I can do is have the service writer (before starting the work) do a thorough inspection of my pristine car inside and out. Then I have and will mention I'm an absolute fanatic about fastidiousness and to please make sure the tech is exceptionally careful with the handling of my car. There is not much more I can do but keep my fingers crossed. So far I've been lucky as far as I can see. At least they won't be test driving the car.
I can understand your reluctance but I find it important to build a relationship with the dealer or service advisor/manager. I also review the condition of the car with the service writer along with taking pictures of the outside and the inside of the car including mileage. Next was I also requested to see when the service was being performed and after some BS about insurance I was able to watch the work. I know some of the techs by name and they know me ( maybe as a PITA). So far my dealings have been on normal items like oil changes and some TSB fixes and no "unknown" problems. I also get an explanation on what will be done or what has been done along with getting a look at the removed parts. By the way they know my "trust but verify" philosophy. Oh after every service I ask to see the GM of the dealership and sit down and provide my feedback to him. He knows my name too and I have only needed to be there 4 times in 2 years.

bocatrip (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I can understand your reluctance but I find it important to build a relationship with the dealer or service advisor/manager. I also review the condition of the car with the service writer along with taking pictures of the outside and the inside of the car including mileage. Next was I also requested to see when the service was being performed and after some BS about insurance I was able to watch the work. I know some of the techs by name and they know me ( maybe as a PITA). So far my dealings have been on normal items like oil changes and some TSB fixes and no "unknown" problems. I also get an explanation on what will be done or what has been done along with getting a look at the removed parts. By the way they know my "trust but verify" philosophy. Oh after every service I ask to see the GM of the dealership and sit down and provide my feedback to him. He knows my name too and I have only needed to be there 4 times in 2 years.
Jagtoes....I found someone who understands! When I was still under the original factory warranty and knew I only had a few months left, I went in do the dealership to fix a number of items. They did replace all my rotors (under warranty), the trunk seal, interior clips, and a few other items with no hassle. I never get a car wash to avoid any incidents there. I have found some grease marks and minor irregularities, but none that couldn't be resolved. I make it my business to tell my regular service writer to look for my feedback from Jaguar which is always "all exceptional" on every item. That is the most meaningful leverage with them, as I've learned from owning my Infiniti. I used to give the service writer a 20 spot for each visit for the previous items mentioned and it seems to have paid off as he remembers me. It doesn't fly with the shop foreman as he won't accept it no matter how hard I try. I like your strategy with the pictures and especially the watching of the work, but I won't go that far. Yes, they all know I'm a PITA, but I always have been with all of my cars, and acknowledge I may not be popular in the shops, but at least my cars have minimum damage and are repaired properly. I wish I was not so OCD about my cars, but I can't change, and if anything I've gotten worse over the years. It's just something I live with as well as something the dealerships all know about me. At least my cars all look and run like new!

Last edited by bocatrip; 06-20-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, we are off topic, but I have a peeve about my JAG dealer, who is nothing to write home about: example:
needed 2 new tires, and instead of matching model, tried to sell me same brand but different model tire. Explanation - they can't buy tires from a tire dealer only the manufacturer, and the manuf. was out of stock. Is this right for the car owner? I went to my long time tire dealer who provided the matching model the next day. The service manager has changed thrice in two years. They strongly insist on me giving 100% satisfaction to the JAG survey, even when I calmly explain why that is ludicrous (and I'm not talking about Tesla mode) based on their service. I can't remember the rationale for that. Or how about the free inspection each time including a light check - they clearly never put the car in reverse to check the backup lights, which had failed. And here is my favorite 'push', I think ~$150 to have the vents cleaned (likely only sprayed with lemon scent). That requirement surely isn't stated in the maintenance section of the manual! The car has a filter for the vent system, for crying out loud.

I just don't have time/energy/or interest to work at developing the relationship Jagtoes describes; that should be automatic as I'm paying them. I have no such problems with my indie for my GM cars.

PS I bet I'm more OCD regarding my JAG than you are!
PPS Hope the glove box is now in good shape.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: I'm the original poster. Brought car in to Jaguar this morning with my Easy Care extended warranty. Car was immediately sent into shop and 45 minutes later it was finished. Glove box door opens fine. No charge, no deductable and all is well.

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Sean W (06-21-2016), tommyd (06-23-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Sweet, the Easy Care sounded like it lived up to it's name!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Sweet, the Easy Care sounded like it lived up to it's name!
Actually, the Easy Care policy did not come into play as Jaguar did the repair as "Good Will". I guess it was easier for them that way as it was a simple repair.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Even better, glad it worked out well.

bocatrip (06-21-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Which dealer did the repair? If your in Boca Raton I would say Jaguar Palm Beach.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tommyd
Which dealer did the repair? If your in Boca Raton I would say Jaguar Palm Beach.
Alpine

Old 06-26-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

It's funny how so many of us have experienced this floppy glove box issue. I had to wait over a month for the parts to arrive at my dealership to get the glove box open issue resolved under warranty. I'm hoping the fix is better than the original!

BTW, if it were not for this forum I likely would not have realized my glove box was defective at all. (My previous cars had floppy glove boxes by design!)

Fixed now after a day left at the dealer. One of those things you cover if it's still under warranty and otherwise...meh.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have been intending to fix mine for years (!) but never got round to it; this week my XK went to my dealership for a key fob reprogramming, oil and brake fluid change and I decided to get them to do the glove box fix while it was there. Cost? $40 and it works just fine. Oh...the car was just as clean as I left it.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Removed and repaired my glove box door per the TSB. Works as designed now!
thanks for the information.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:52 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

I recently removed the glovebox during another repair and noticed that the damper cable was not attached to the door arm. Not realizing that there was a TSB for this fix, I used a couple of heavy-duty zip-ties to secure the cable to the arm. I think it will work pretty much as well as the cotter-pin solution, with no need to drill.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, could you take a picture of how you did this. Thanks!

waltwagner (01-29-2023)
Old 10-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

This is how I did both of my XKRs. Just feed the cable tie through the loop on the string and pull tight.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
kj07xk (10-17-2020), pennstater (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:30 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

pennstater, I wish I had done, but I was a couple of hours into a repair when I fixed the damper cable and was in no mood to stop and take pix. Sorry. However, I posted this picture on another thread about the fix I did. I took the basic image from yet another thread and added the captions. The damper cable has a loop at the end (not visible below) that the zip-ties thread through to attach the cable to the glovebox door arm. I used two zip-ties, one around each side of the door arm. u102768's post shows a similar method using one zip-tie.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 10-17-2020 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added picture
pennstater (10-18-2020)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Did this repair today. Thanks for the help.

When I removed the wood trim piece above the glove box, the metal clips stayed in the dash. Carefully removed the clips and installed on trim piece. No amount of pushing would get the trim piece to stay in the dash. Carefully removed clips from trim piece and reinstalled in dash. Simple push and the piece is back in.

Also the fabric trim piece under the dash was damaged by prior owner. Two of the rectangular holes at the edge of the piece were torn. I used a drill to make two smalls holes for each torn hole. One on either side of the tear. Tried zip ties to replace the torn fabric. The rectangular clips would not stay in. The zip ties were too thick. So I used a piece of guitar string. Simply wound the two ends together like a bread bag twist tie. Thin enough for the rectangular clip to work. Now the fabric piece is held in better than before.

The following 4 users liked this post by Craniac:
Bill Mack (03-05-2021), Cee Jay (03-05-2021), ralphwg (03-05-2021), shemp (03-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Glove box door flopping open