XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Gloves compartment: does it have a damper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gloves compartment: does it have a damper?

Hello All

on my favorite XK that I am planning to buy the gloves compartment drops open after pushing the button and just falls open dangling on the lower stopping point without any damper or similar. Is this how it should be?

On most luxury vehicles there is some form of dampening mechanisms that ensures smooth opening of the gloves compartment.

Regards
ter

Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Yes. There are many threads on the DIY fix.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanks! I see. So it’s normal this way but there is some inofficial mods to improve it.

Regards
ter

Old 04-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Thanks! I see. So it’s normal this way but there is some inofficial mods to improve it.

Regards
ter
No it is not normal . There is a damper in the hinge area that breaks. If you do some searching on posts it will show/tell you how to fix it. A simple fix but requires removing the glove box. I had the problem with my 2012 when I got it and they replaced the whole glove compartment under my CPO. If it breaks again I'll do the fix others have done.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Let's get this straight: 1) it is not normal for the glovebox lid to just drop. 2) Jaguar fits a spring-loaded damper to the lid. 3) the fault is not in the damper! 4) the fault is that a plastic tab/pin to which the damper cord is attached tends to break and the result is that sudden drop. 4) replacing the entire glovebox assembly to fix this is like replacing the entire car because a light bulb has blown. 5) you can follow the instructions given in multiple threads to replicate an attaching point for the damper cord. You can use a screw, or a cotter pin (which is the official fix that Jaguar recommends dealer's perform). The original damper is still used becaus they do not wear out! You do need to access the glovebox assembly out in order to fix this and the instructions (with photos) are found in the mentioned threads.
In fact the same thing happened to my XK, so I bought a new damper assembly thinking that it was defective. Not so (see above). Although I intended to fix this myself, my car was due for servicing so when it went in I had my dealer do the fix which I describe above. They did NOT replace the damper, nor the glove box assembly. They did the Jaguar-recommended procedure (the result is perfect) and left my new but unnecessary damper in its original package on the floor. They charged me $45 for this (the car was out of warranty) - money well spent.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Let's get this straight: 1) it is not normal for the glovebox lid to just drop. 2) Jaguar fits a spring-loaded damper to the lid. 3) the fault is not in the damper! 4) the fault is that a plastic tab/pin to which the damper cord is attached tends to break and the result is that sudden drop. 4) replacing the entire glovebox assembly to fix this is like replacing the entire car because a light bulb has blown. 5) you can follow the instructions given in multiple threads to replicate an attaching point for the damper cord. You can use a screw, or a cotter pin (which is the official fix that Jaguar recommends dealer's perform). The original damper is still used becaus they do not wear out! You do need to access the glovebox assembly out in order to fix this and the instructions (with photos) are found in the mentioned threads.
In fact the same thing happened to my XK, so I bought a new damper assembly thinking that it was defective. Not so (see above). Although I intended to fix this myself, my car was due for servicing so when it went in I had my dealer do the fix which I describe above. They did NOT replace the damper, nor the glove box assembly. They did the Jaguar-recommended procedure (the result is perfect) and left my new but unnecessary damper in its original package on the floor. They charged me $45 for this (the car was out of warranty) - money well spent.
Greg I got your post and as I mentioned although there is a simple fix when I took my car to the dealer he ordered and replaced the complete glove box. I didn't care as it was a no cost CPO fix so let them do what they wanted.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Many thanks for the thorough explanation. My situation is that I complained at the selling dealership about the gloves box opening without damper. First I was told it’s normal. Then they promised to look into it before I will pickup the car.

So after reading the input here, they basically need to fix it one way or another, right?

best!
ter

Old 04-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Many thanks for the thorough explanation. My situation is that I complained at the selling dealership about the gloves box opening without damper. First I was told it’s normal. Then they promised to look into it before I will pickup the car.

So after reading the input here, they basically need to fix it one way or another, right?

best!
ter
Right. Now you know more than they (apparently) do! They can easily find the service bulletin on this repair. And while replacing the whole assembly will cure the problem initially, the factory never corrected the issue of the tending-to-break pin so even a new assembly might fail in the same way at some point. The repair procedure is far more secure and will last the life of the car (I think).