XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Got Jaguar a working dealers SDD JLR what can I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by ABrice
So can I just start from scratch....? Or start a new session and not have to go back and correct the previously modified data first? I think it'd be easier start a new session, and change the three bits and see if my car would accept the changes...? I haven't had a chance to really tinker around in SDD. I have v135, but I get around the vin input screen.
My info is based on OEM VCM/ SDD. I would just change those back from fitted to unfitted and then the warnings should go away.

Not sure about the MOST line item though as I don't know your vehicle type. I assume you have MOST fiber optics so that one confuses me. You should in theory with MOST, be able to add a component. It may or may not care about the order. Your service manual would tell you that, but adding a module to the MOST network, shouldn't require you active MOST as it should already be active.. So that line could also apply to another vehicle and your as built already has it enabled. If you have MOST, thats the only thing I can think of. View that item in the AS built file.

Yes to answer your question. Just save the session so you can get back to it. As these are accessory add on's, it's unlikely you'll brick anything.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Right. You added new toys that weren't on your build sheet. Some of the available selections apply to other makes/models too. Unfortunately, unless you work with it often enough, you don't know which is which.
Hey Sean,

I went back to the dealership. I was unsuccessful with getting the CCF file modifications programmed. I'm getting very frustrated. 😠 I feel like this is a very simple modification. My lack of experience with SDD engineering mode is costing me a fortune. I set all but 2 modifications back to their original setting. I left the left and right screen rear seat entertainment screen-3 as "fitted". I'm still getting a critical mismatch (yellow exclamation points) error.

After analyzing my screen shots from above and comparing them to the ones below, I think the mismatch is in the "versatile binary file". I believe that that bit has to be modified to allow my car to receive modifications. On the screen shot below it shows as "unfitted" with the yellow exclamation point. I believe that that prevents my car from receiving ccf mods no matter how small the change is. What do you think? Can you shed some light on this...? Thanks man.
Look at the last line. The versatile binary file shows as "unfitted". I think that that needs to be changed to "fitted" or some other option that allows modificaions.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 PM

Or am I modifying the wrong file...? Here's another sceen shot. Its not of today's session but it shows where the errors are. The errors from today are in the same area. There's just less of them.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Isn't the As Built file just reflecting how your car came from the factory? I thought that it is provided with the SDD software and assume you therefore can't change it so if you are adding new components you would expect a mismatch.

I am not convinced it is actually an issue but then again I don't really know what I am talking about

One of the forum techs should be able to help you.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

You've got a couple of problems...

Firstly you're using the wrong CCF editing routine in SDD, should be the Current Car Configuration routine, not the Session Active one... the Session Active routine is primarily for comparing the copies of the CCF in the cars modules vs. the as-built. The as-built is how the car left the factory, any changes you make to the CCF after the car left the factory will show as a mismatch against the as-built with the yellow (!). Just as an example my XKR has 27x differences between the as-built CCF and the current CCF, because of all the changes that have been made. That is normal.

Secondly you can't just change settings in the CCF by guessing, for big retrofits you need to copy the factory settings from a car that had the features that you are trying to install. In this case you really should scan an X351 of the same year range with factory rear seat entertainment, and then note down the different settings between your car and the other one that are related to rear seat entertainment.

I can tell you that for the Land Rover there are no less than 9x different fields in the CCF that need to be changed for the Rear Seat Entertainment retrofit to work. And some of them make absolutely no sense, for example the Land Rovers without RSE have the field "Rear Screens - Fitted" and the ones with RSE have the field "Rear Screens - Not Fitted", makes no sense but that's how it is.

And what applies to a Land Rover does not always apply 1:1 to a Jaguar, even for the same features and options.

Find a 2013-2015 X351 with rear seat entertainment and make an SDD session. Save the session at the end as a zip and send it over to me, i'd be able to help you figure out the settings that way.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo

Firstly you're using the wrong CCF editing routine in SDD, should be the Current Car Configuration routine, not the Session Active one... the Session Active routine is primarily for comparing the copies of the CCF in the cars modules vs. the as-built. The as-built is how the car left the factory, any changes you make to the CCF after the car left the factory will show as a mismatch against the as-built with the yellow (!). Just as an example my XKR has 27x differences between the as-built CCF and the current CCF, because of all the changes that have been made. That is normal.

Secondly you can't just change settings in the CCF by guessing, for big retrofits you need to copy the factory settings from a car that had the features that you are trying to install. In this case you really should scan an X351 of the same year range with factory rear seat entertainment, and then note down the different settings between your car and the other one that are related to rear seat entertainment.

I can tell you that for the Land Rover there are no less than 9x different fields in the CCF that need to be changed for the Rear Seat Entertainment retrofit to work. And some of them make absolutely no sense, for example the Land Rovers without RSE have the field "Rear Screens - Fitted" and the ones with RSE have the field "Rear Screens - Not Fitted", makes no sense but that's how it is.

And what applies to a Land Rover does not always apply 1:1 to a Jaguar, even for the same features and options.

Find a 2013-2015 X351 with rear seat entertainment and make an SDD session. Save the session at the end as a zip and send it over to me, i'd be able to help you figure out the settings that way.
Hey Cambo,

The changes were made were in the current car configuration screen.

I just realized that concerning mismatches and yellow exclamation points. They'll always be there if they're differences from the "as built" file. I'm thinking that those were errors, when in fact they're normal. I'm up racking my brain as we speak trying to figure this out.

I think I've gotten it figured out though. XDave gave me a print out of exactly what bits needed to be changed. It's only 4 settings. Unfortunately, I didn't have the most obvious setting modified... which was waaay at the bottom list.

The rear seat entertainment system bit was not modified as it is still showing "without rear seat entertainment system" There's several rear seat entertainment system bits, but somehow I missed this one. I think this should do it.

At least now I know that I'm on the right track. Thanks again Cambo.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
Isn't the As Built file just reflecting how your car came from the factory? I thought that it is provided with the SDD software and assume you therefore can't change it so if you are adding new components you would expect a mismatch.

I am not convinced it is actually an issue but then again I don't really know what I am talking about

One of the forum techs should be able to help you.
You're exactly right man. I'm just now figuring this out. I'm a little slow. The ccf modification has turned out to be the hardest part of this whole project. 🙈

Old 12-31-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo

Hey Cambo,

I now have ccf files for an XJL that is fitted with the RSE package. Lets just say that I attempted to do this myself, versus going back to a dealer since I now know the exact bits that need to be modified. Lets say that something goes wrong in the programming, a corrupt file or something, the damage would be done to the BCM module correct? I'm just trying to look at the worst case scenario, and what the cost of a replacement BCM would be. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

I used my Mangoose to update a number of modules on my XKR to the latest available firmware version shortly after I got it.

The only issue I have had was more recently when I was applying my tune because my wife and daughter decided they needed ice cream while I was in the middle of flashing the PCM.

I gingerly moved the 4 way adapter that my laptop was plugged in to out of the way of the freezer door but the plug momentarily lost power. The power glitch caused SDD to immediately abort the download with an 'unspecified error writing block 115'. Luckily it offered to try again!

Could you briefly tell me the steps to download and flash thr PCM? Im trying
To do a tune, running stable SDD 157

Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Me too, but I don't have a tune yet. I've asked and was offered one but it no-showed. What tune do YOU have? Some have said that 600+ HP is easy in the 5.0

Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Me too, but I don't have a tune yet. I've asked and was offered one but it no-showed. What tune do YOU have? Some have said that 600+ HP is easy in the 5.0
Cee Jay what year is your car? If it has the Denso ECU I can easily tune it as well

Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

'10 /R and no clue about Denso or........ can't remember the alternative one. Guess I go find out.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:13 AM
Sponsor

'10 /R and no clue about Denso or........ can't remember the alternative one. Guess I go find out.
Yes 2010 is Denso I think they either switched in 2012 or 2013 to Bosch

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

There are two methods that I am aware of of applying a home tune. The most common one used by tuners is that they send you a little device that you plug in to your OBD port then you use that to extract the current tune from your car using the screen menus on the device. You email that to the tuner and they send back one or more customised tune files for you to apply using the same device. The different files cover different states of tune and hardware configuration.

The other method is using SDD. I would hope that whoever is supplying the tune for that method would provide detailed instructions but you basically identify and replace the standard tune file in SDD for your type of PCM with the custom one then simply reflash the PCM as if you had just replaced it with a new one (Configure new modules - Powertrain control module).

One key thing to mention is make sure that you have a good stable power supply of at least 30 amps otherwise you risk bricking the module.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
Sean W (09-03-2019), trkyam (09-05-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Yes 2010 is Denso I think they either switched in 2012 or 2013 to Bosch
The rest of the Jaguar range changed from Denso to Bosch in 2012 but I think that XK's used the Denso for every model year.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'd use SDD and I've reprogrammed modules already, esp the TPMS one. PITA, that stupid thing.
The 40 amp supply I have is more than sufficient, as the indicated draw so far has been a maximum of 32 amps during SDD operations.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Sponsor

I'd use SDD and I've reprogrammed modules already, esp the TPMS one. PITA, that stupid thing.
The 40 amp supply I have is more than sufficient, as the indicated draw so far has been a maximum of 32 amps during SDD operations.
Cee Jay I will send out my own equipment for reading and loading the file, it's simpler and easier to use. I don't fully trust the jlr sdd to reprogram. Pm me we can discuss

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 PM

I used my Mangoose to update a number of modules on my XKR to the latest available firmware version shortly after I got it.

The only issue I have had was more recently when I was applying my tune because my wife and daughter decided they needed ice cream while I was in the middle of flashing the PCM.

I gingerly moved the 4 way adapter that my laptop was plugged in to out of the way of the freezer door but the plug momentarily lost power. The power glitch caused SDD to immediately abort the download with an 'unspecified error writing block 115'. Luckily it offered to try again!
Originally Posted by AlexJag
Cee Jay I will send out my own equipment for reading and loading the file, it's simpler and easier to use. I don't fully trust the jlr add to reprogram. Pm me we can discuss

Alex I need a tune also, i have SDD 157,

What do you charge?

Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Sponsor

Alex I need a tune also, i have SDD 157,

What do you charge?
Pm sent.

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-05-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:30 AM

There are two methods that I am aware of of applying a home tune. The most common one used by tuners is that they send you a little device that you plug in to your OBD port then you use that to extract the current tune from your car using the screen menus on the device. You email that to the tuner and they send back one or more customised tune files for you to apply using the same device. The different files cover different states of tune and hardware configuration.

The other method is using SDD. I would hope that whoever is supplying the tune for that method would provide detailed instructions but you basically identify and replace the standard tune file in SDD for your type of PCM with the custom one then simply reflash the PCM as if you had just replaced it with a new one (Configure new modules - Powertrain control module).

One key thing to mention is make sure that you have a good stable power supply of at least 30 amps otherwise you risk bricking the module.

Thanks for the information,

I understand how to configure the new module to flash but,
How do I download the file for the existing PCM ?
I'd like to send it in for a tune.

Quick Reply: Got Jaguar a working dealers SDD JLR what can I do with it?