XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Got my first scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Got my first scratch

I went to Jag for my annual Oil Change. I’m over the top OCD about my car and they know it. As much as I told them to be careful, as well as walking the Service Writer around the car showing it’s perfection, they managed to scratch the passenger fender along the top, chipping the clear off the paint. This happened while washing the car with brooms. It’s very small, 1/2 inch, but I can see it. I’m wondering if it could be repaired without blending into the side of the fender. Of course they didn’t charge for oil change and will pay for repair. I’m planning on taking it to my shop tomorrow. They’ve repaired my cars for over 20 years and the owner knows me well. I’d post pics but I’m not tech savvy.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
This happened while washing the car with brooms.
Ok, had to google that one. Never heard of washing a car with a broom. Now that I’ve seen it, got to say I’d not let one near my car.
If I ever take mine to a dealer, I’ll specify that they not wash the car.
Sorry man, that sucks.

The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Ok, had to google that one. Never heard of washing a car with a broom. Now that I’ve seen it, got to say I’d not let one near my car.
Sorry man, that sucks.
I agree. However they don’t have a facility for an automatic car wash which couldn’t be used with an XK either. For 6 years they washed it without an incident. I guess my good luck wasn’t going to last indefinitely. FYI. The brushes they use are soft but the handles are made of wood and are not!

Old 09-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

My indy hand washes cars after service and do a good job, they have a retired gent that comes in from 3pm to prepare cars for pick-up. I'd not let a main dealer near it though and insist, whilst the can vacuum my jag under no circumstances are they to wash it.

Way I figure things is that it's the lowest in the pecking order at a main dealer that does the washing, probably doesn't even have a licence, so has no in-built pride in automotive matters.

I've used a water broom to wash my house doors and windows but it won't go near my cars.

Sorry to hear of your experience

Old 09-04-2020, 04:30 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Same here. My car has had a full paint correction and been professionally ceramic glazed. Last thing I want is is some grunt with a dirty sponge and a bucket of gritty water going anywhere near my paint. Besides telling the Service Manager not to wash the car, I also put a DO NOT WASH notice on the dash in case my instruction gets lost in the works.

The following 3 users liked this post by barnsie:
AirCav (09-11-2020), DGL (09-04-2020), MarkyUK (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Since we're discussing car washes, I thought you'd appreciate what the Jaguar factory recommends. From the Dudley Moore movie "Crazy People":

In the above scene, Dudley Moore, the salesman, is explaining to Paul Reiser, the buyer, that this ad tells Jaguar owners to have their cars washed and polished by hand, preferably by a woman with a soft touch, in order to keep the paint like new. You can trust the factory's advice.

I know it's an old movie, but some advice is timeless and never changes.

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
gkubrak (09-11-2020), guy (09-10-2020), MarkyUK (09-04-2020), ralphwg (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Since we're discussing car washes, I thought you'd appreciate what the Jaguar factory recommends. From the Dudley Moore movie "Crazy People":

In the above scene, Dudley Moore, the salesman, is explaining to Paul Reiser, the buyer, that this ad tells Jaguar owners to have their cars washed and polished by hand, preferably by a woman with a soft touch, in order to keep the paint like new. You can trust the factory's advice.

I know it's an old movie, but some advice is timeless and never changes.
LOL.

I used to have a squad of specially trained lizards which would come out at night and lick the car clean while I slept, but Dud's idea beats that hands down...

Stuart S (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Back to Boca's question. I've never heard of a body repair like that. I've seen of course the nail polish type repairs but they stick out like a sore thumb. I think you'd need to blend it. What's your concern with blending?

Old 09-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Back to Boca's question. I've never heard of a body repair like that. I've seen of course the nail polish type repairs but they stick out like a sore thumb. I think you'd need to blend it. What's your concern with blending?
I’m sure a photo of the small scratch would be helpful. I took the car to my shop of choice today. She looked at it carefully. She commented and asked, I’m sure for such a small chip, you really wouldn’t want a large part of your fender blended would you? She suggested giving it a very light buff or sand to level the edges. Then, the tech would carefully apply clear to fill the chip. Finally , another light buff to blend it together. She said that if I didn’t like it, the tech could always remove the clear that filled the chip and I’d be no worse for trying. FYI..... the paint is good on the chip. It’s the clear that came off. I’m bringing it in next Thursday. To be continued.

PS.. To answer Sean’s question..... what is my concern about blending? I hate owning any car that has paint work.

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Sean W (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I’m sure a photo of the small scratch would be helpful. I took the car to my shop of choice today. She looked at it carefully. She commented and asked, I’m sure for such a small chip, you really wouldn’t want a large part of your fender blended would you? She suggested giving it a very light buff or sand to level the edges. Then, the tech would carefully apply clear to fill the chip. Finally , another light buff to blend it together. She said that if I didn’t like it, the tech could always remove the clear that filled the chip and I’d be no worse for trying. FYI..... the paint is good on the chip. It’s the clear that came off. I’m bringing it in next Thursday. To be continued.

PS.. To answer Sean’s question..... what is my concern about blending? I hate owning any car that has paint work.
That all makes sense bocatrip, thanks. It wasn't clear to me how deep the scratch was and I'd certainly follow her advice too.

bocatrip (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

If it really is just the clear coat, then yes there are inexpensive and non-invasive techniques for sanding, applying clear and then polishing to match the panel.

bocatrip (09-06-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I had my small scratch repaired today. Dropped the car off at the body shop where it was immediately brought into the shop by my long term shop manager friend. 30 minutes later it was brought to the front of the shop. Initially I thought they weren’t able to repair it. However it looked great. At some angles it can’t be seen at all. She told me that the tech lightly buffed it to smooth the edges and then touched up the chip with clear. I was very lucky the paint was still adhering to the car and it only needed clear. I dodged a bullet this time. Now I’ll need a mobile detail shop to come to my home for all future washes. PS.... I am unable to wash my car myself due to a back injury. Glad to have my Jag looking its best!

The following 4 users liked this post by bocatrip:
MarkyUK (09-11-2020), Sean W (09-11-2020), Stuart S (09-11-2020), tberg (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Boca, Like Barnsie and myself why dont you get the car and wheels ceramic coated, then the dirt just washes off with a hose...that even someone with back problems can manage?

I invested in something called a hydroshot which enables me to water wash my whole car with a single 3l bottle of coke...albeit empty and then filled with water.

Invest in one that used after ceramic coating will be a doddle
https://www.worx-uk.com/pressure-cleaner/

Old 09-11-2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Boca, Like Barnsie and myself why dont you get the car and wheels ceramic coated, then the dirt just washes off with a hose...that even someone with back problems can manage?

I invested in something called a hydroshot which enables me to water wash my whole car with a single 3l bottle of coke...albeit empty and then filled with water.

Invest in one that used after ceramic coating will be a doddle
https://www.worx-uk.com/pressure-cleaner/
You are right that the ceramic coating makes washing the car a breeze. I often do a totally contactless wash - pressure wash first to remove any loose contaminants, then snow-foam, left to dwell for 5 minutes, then pressure wash the snow-foam off and dry with my high-pressure air dryer. If the car isn't too filthy, that is all it needs. Other times, I may have to use the lambswool mitt after the initial snowfoam.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

I just use the hydroshot after each long drive/driving when wet, today was Cardiff and back (130 miles) for MOT and it took 3l water and the hydroshot to get is sparkly again.

Who'd have believed 27c here in my part of the UK ATM