XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Greetings

Just ordered a '12 XKR convertible (blk/blk/blk ivory stitch, jet healiner, red calipers) and I'm very excited about it. This will be my first English car as I usually drive German marques. A few questions if I may...

Are these cars reliable and have the electronics been completely sorted out?

I ordered a convertible but love the lines of the coupe, wondering if I should get the coupe?

Are most here leasing? as these cars seems to rapidly depreciate.

Any common complaints?

This forum appears to be the most active for XK's, is this accurate?

I ordered the full piano black wood but I've realized they are now putting extra piano in the 12's so maybe I'm better off with the R mesh. I also realize the piano will not have the R in it.

Thank you,

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats , you can check our members rides if you like mods ,GHOSTRIDER's is very cool

I trust your car will serve you well

Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello and welcome.

I would have suggested that you research the answers to your questions before you placed your order, but I have always said that "it's not the purchase, it's the upkeep" that matters when buying a car (new or used).

Here's some sobering news for you:

New-car quality takes hit on tech

By Dee-Ann Durbin
Associated Press

DETROIT - Owners of cars that were new or redesigned for the 2011 model year are reporting more quality problems, partly because of glitches with the navigation screens, voice-activated systems, and other technology packed into their dashboards.

J.D. Power & Associates released its annual survey of new-vehicle quality Thursday. Lexus, Honda, and Acura were the top performers. Dodge was the worst-performing brand.

The survey questioned 78,000 people about problems they had with 2011 model-year vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. Owners reported an average of 107 problems per 100 vehicles. That jumped to 122 problems for cars that were new or redesigned in 2011, up 10 percent from 2010 model-year cars and trucks.

J.D. Power said new technology was partly to blame. Complaints about audio, entertainment, and navigation systems are up 28 percent from 2009.

Read more: New-car quality takes hit on tech | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/24/2011

-----------------------------

What that tells me is that the new gizmos and gadgets are great when they work. My 2007 XK (purchased used, a previously leased car) has had recurring electrical problems, most often with the power seat and headlamp washers.

I really cannot justify buying a new car anymore due to the depreciation. I bought my XK for less than half of its original cost, and added an extended warranty. However if you like getting a new car every few years, leasing is definitely the way to go.

I don't know where you live in FL but if it's anywhere near the coast I don't see why you would not buy the convertible. To me, the Sunshine State and top-down driving go hand-in-hand. Plus, it may be easier to sell the car in FL when you're done with it if it can drop its top.

My .02. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome....are you also on the mbworld forum? Your name sounds familiar.

The '12 should be a blast with the new styling. With the 5.0L being out a few years by then.....hopefully they have iron out the problems....if any.

New tech (per Wildcat's post) could be the culprit for electronics....the engines has "Usually" been solid. I had a W211 (MB) had the dreaded Audio Gateway and abrupt downshift into first occured in mine....again electronics. Suprisingly no problems with the SL65 so far.

That being said...I've had some gremlins in the Jag. The first day bringing it home from the dealer the check engine came on....turned around and headed right back to the dealer....auxillary motor was blown. I asked them how could this happen from a brand new car with only 25 miles? They didn't have an answer. First 2 days was spent at the dealer. Other than that.....had the screen froze twice, after siruis update....the screen wouldn't shut off even when the car was off, dead battery (from letting it sit for a few weeks) and check engine light on due to the gas cap. All of these didn't require a dealer visit. Most of these problems occured the first 2 years.....for some reason last year and so far this year I've had no problems except for one of the headlights had a warning stating it wouldn't swivel but somehow corrected itself and now it's working properly.

As for coupe or roadster debate.....I'd say get the convertible if you live in Florida. If I lived in Florida....I would probably get the convertible. I drive the SL65 mostly during hot sunny days here in Chicago over the Jag.

With all that being said.....I have no regrets getting the XKR. Although the SL65 is faster than my 4.2L SC (5.0L SC should be much faster)....the Jag always puts a smile on my face whenever I goose it and it gets more stares over the SL.

BTW.....if you don't plan on driving the Jag that much.....get a battery tender. For some reason...the battery dies after a few weeks/months of not running. Go with Ctek! If you see MB and Porsche battery tenders....it looks exactly like Ctek except for the MB or Porsche name on it.

Best of luck and give us updates on your decision and once the car arrives!

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 06-24-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just picked up the 2011 XKR Vert, I live in South Florida, the top is down even on the shortest trips. I have a post here with my squawk list, which had 4 issues immediately, but I am not sending it to the dealer until next Tuesday, I wanted to play more first. I came out of, well a year ago I came out of a 2006 760li which I bought with 14k miles on it. I moved to a Denali then for my pooch for a year, and then to the XKR. Beemer was a pain in the ***, even though it was all warranty, to go back with various issues and I believe the Jag will be no better. At my office we have a 911S and a CL65 Merc. They all have their issues. I've had $20-30k cars with less issues, it comes with the big, torqued engine, the electronics, and the expectation. This is the first car I leased, I love it, and it has less fancy items than the lux sedans, it's all a roll of the dice. Consider yourself very lucky if you get one with no issues, no matter German or British. Maybe the Japanese have better luck, as long as your gas pedal doesnt get stuck and kill you.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you plan on any track time I'd strongly suggest the coupe. Retro fitting a roll bar to a vert with an aluminum frame can be expensive.

If your just going to use all the power and performance cruising to the hamburger stand than either coupe or vert is over kill.

Cheers

Tom

Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM

If you ever want to put the top down and enjoy the wind blowing through your hair, while blowing by whomever you like for the most part, I strongly suggest the Vert baby!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Congrats , you can check our members rides if you like mods ,GHOSTRIDER's is very cool

I trust your car will serve you well
Thank you.

How does one edit their posts here as I don't see an edit button?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by WldCat
Hello and welcome.

I would have suggested that you research the answers to your questions before you placed your order, but I have always said that "it's not the purchase, it's the upkeep" that matters when buying a car (new or used).

Here's some sobering news for you:

New-car quality takes hit on tech

By Dee-Ann Durbin
Associated Press

DETROIT - Owners of cars that were new or redesigned for the 2011 model year are reporting more quality problems, partly because of glitches with the navigation screens, voice-activated systems, and other technology packed into their dashboards.

J.D. Power & Associates released its annual survey of new-vehicle quality Thursday. Lexus, Honda, and Acura were the top performers. Dodge was the worst-performing brand.

The survey questioned 78,000 people about problems they had with 2011 model-year vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. Owners reported an average of 107 problems per 100 vehicles. That jumped to 122 problems for cars that were new or redesigned in 2011, up 10 percent from 2010 model-year cars and trucks.

J.D. Power said new technology was partly to blame. Complaints about audio, entertainment, and navigation systems are up 28 percent from 2009.

Read more: New-car quality takes hit on tech | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/24/2011

-----------------------------

What that tells me is that the new gizmos and gadgets are great when they work. My 2007 XK (purchased used, a previously leased car) has had recurring electrical problems, most often with the power seat and headlamp washers.

I really cannot justify buying a new car anymore due to the depreciation. I bought my XK for less than half of its original cost, and added an extended warranty. However if you like getting a new car every few years, leasing is definitely the way to go.

I don't know where you live in FL but if it's anywhere near the coast I don't see why you would not buy the convertible. To me, the Sunshine State and top-down driving go hand-in-hand. Plus, it may be easier to sell the car in FL when you're done with it if it can drop its top.

My .02. Good luck!
Thanks. I did as much research as I could before I ordered this car but could not find a very active forum especially for the 5.0 cars. I read as many short/long term road tests as I could find. I also did my homework learning of the 12 facelift and decided to wait for it. Another big factor in choosing the Jag was the thermoelectrically cooled seats; need those due to nerve damage from an epidural injection (these things can bs VERY dangerous even when flouroscopically guided). I also realize Jags depreciate rapidly and that's why I will probably lease.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
Welcome....are you also on the mbworld forum? Your name sounds familiar.

The '12 should be a blast with the new styling. With the 5.0L being out a few years by then.....hopefully they have iron out the problems....if any.

New tech (per Wildcat's post) could be the culprit for electronics....the engines has "Usually" been solid. I had a W211 (MB) had the dreaded Audio Gateway and abrupt downshift into first occured in mine....again electronics. Suprisingly no problems with the SL65 so far.

That being said...I've had some gremlins in the Jag. The first day bringing it home from the dealer the check engine came on....turned around and headed right back to the dealer....auxillary motor was blown. I asked them how could this happen from a brand new car with only 25 miles? They didn't have an answer. First 2 days was spent at the dealer. Other than that.....had the screen froze twice, after siruis update....the screen wouldn't shut off even when the car was off, dead battery (from letting it sit for a few weeks) and check engine light on due to the gas cap. All of these didn't require a dealer visit. Most of these problems occured the first 2 years.....for some reason last year and so far this year I've had no problems except for one of the headlights had a warning stating it wouldn't swivel but somehow corrected itself and now it's working properly.

As for coupe or roadster debate.....I'd say get the convertible if you live in Florida. If I lived in Florida....I would probably get the convertible. I drive the SL65 mostly during hot sunny days here in Chicago over the Jag.

With all that being said.....I have no regrets getting the XKR. Although the SL65 is faster than my 4.2L SC (5.0L SC should be much faster)....the Jag always puts a smile on my face whenever I goose it and it gets more stares over the SL.

BTW.....if you don't plan on driving the Jag that much.....get a battery tender. For some reason...the battery dies after a few weeks/months of not running. Go with Ctek! If you see MB and Porsche battery tenders....it looks exactly like Ctek except for the MB or Porsche name on it.

Best of luck and give us updates on your decision and once the car arrives!
Yes that's me, thanks. The order is in for the vert, but dang, the coupe is one fine looking machine. I am awaiting confirmation I got in for a launch build and should know soon. The power of the 510hp engine was unreal, 220S posted some videos on W212 from Gustav where the R raced some high perf German machines and crushed them; I'll post it here. Thanks for the good wishes and it's nice to have someone from mb here

Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by SkipM
If you ever want to put the top down and enjoy the wind blowing through your hair, while blowing by whomever you like for the most part, I strongly suggest the Vert baby!
I agree, there nothing like a vert when it comes to that. Any issues witheaks, creaks or eind noise?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by TomServo
If you plan on any track time I'd strongly suggest the coupe. Retro fitting a roll bar to a vert with an aluminum frame can be expensive.

If your just going to use all the power and performance cruising to the hamburger stand than either coupe or vert is over kill.

Cheers

Tom
I doubt race it but I love high performance cars, always have.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by SkipM
I just picked up the 2011 XKR Vert, I live in South Florida, the top is down even on the shortest trips. I have a post here with my squawk list, which had 4 issues immediately, but I am not sending it to the dealer until next Tuesday, I wanted to play more first. I came out of, well a year ago I came out of a 2006 760li which I bought with 14k miles on it. I moved to a Denali then for my pooch for a year, and then to the XKR. Beemer was a pain in the ***, even though it was all warranty, to go back with various issues and I believe the Jag will be no better. At my office we have a 911S and a CL65 Merc. They all have their issues. I've had $20-30k cars with less issues, it comes with the big, torqued engine, the electronics, and the expectation. This is the first car I leased, I love it, and it has less fancy items than the lux sedans, it's all a roll of the dice. Consider yourself very lucky if you get one with no issues, no matter German or British. Maybe the Japanese have better luck, as long as your gas pedal doesnt get stuck and kill you.
Yes I know what you mean, all the marques have issues. I've owned almost all of the German brands sans Audi and they've all had issues, some major; my 997S needed a new engine at 18k and I do not abuse my cars in anyway shape or form. Funny my F cars were always great, go figure. I'm in S FL too, maybe we can meet up when I get the car. What issues did you have?

How the heck does one edit their posts here?

Thanks,

Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by RJC
I agree, there nothing like a vert when it comes to that. Any issues with leaks, creaks or wind noise?
Thanks
*edit*

Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Yes I know what you mean, all the marques have issues. I've owned almost all of the German brands sans Audi and they've all had issues, some major; my 997S needed a new engine at 18k and I do not abuse my cars in anyway shape or form. Funny my F cars were always great, go figure. I'm in S FL too, maybe we can meet up when I get the car. What issues did you have?

How the heck does one edit their posts here?

Thanks,
After your post has been submitted, you can edit it by clicking on the "edit" button on the bottom right of your post, but you must include a "Reason for Editing" in that textbox. If you preview your post before submitting it, you can edit it repeatedly.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM
RJC

Hi Stuart,

That's the way I would normally edit posts in discussion forums but there is no edit box showing and I'm logged in. I'll try and log out then back in again.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
RJC

All that shows in the lower right corner is:
quote, multi quote and quick reply

Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 PM

I would say its not as quiet as the Merc, or even the japanese cars at half the price, no wind dam, but I love the damn wind! I agree that the coupe is a fine, sleek looking machine, but come one, you can put the top down AND go fast, not quite as fast, but almost. If you don't like that, get the XJL and have some nice opera music on your commute ,No offense XJL guys, except for the popping ceiling, its a damn fine car.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
RJC

If the coupe only had a pano type roof even if it just titled up.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought I'd saw ya on the MBworld. Some good guys there who are speedfreaks and tons of money to blow....aka. Misha Widebody Build....I gotta say though...the Misha Widebody Kit is Schweeeeeeettttt!

Congrats again! Seeya on both forums.