XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Had your water pump replaced on 2010-2012 XK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default follow up

Thanks for Reply BOCATRIP - yes - regardless close to home or not with the
" Engine Overheating Message " on a supercharge engine I would shut it off and not drive it a inch.

Amazing I was pulling back home into my garage and off it went. Geez, I can imagine I would have caused any damage if I responded in seconds of message. I believe I will be okay: do you know if the 2010's - 2012's XK's do not give you a " Low Coolant Message " only a " Engine Overheated Message " seems odd on high performance vehicle that is all you would get?

Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by vtech
Thanks for Reply BOCATRIP - yes - regardless close to home or not with the
" Engine Overheating Message " on a supercharge engine I would shut it off and not drive it a inch.

Amazing I was pulling back home into my garage and off it went. Geez, I can imagine I would have caused any damage if I responded in seconds of message. I believe I will be okay: do you know if the 2010's - 2012's XK's do not give you a " Low Coolant Message " only a " Engine Overheated Message " seems odd on high performance vehicle that is all you would get?

I'm not certain, but I believe the low coolant light might be on the earlier XKs possibly from 2007-2009 but don't quote me on it. We have absolutely nothing to warn us other than "abandon ship".

Old 12-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Default reply

That is what I believe as well. At least I shut her down immediately. I started it up 4 hours later - message was gone and vehicle sounded fine so I think I am okay.

Letting the Jaguar professionals take it from here tomorrow and hopefully all is okay. So Glad I have a warranty is all - cannot believe they only message you would get is once it is overheated. Flaw I say for Jaguar - feel so much better if it had gauges.

Keep you posted

Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

That is what I believe as well. At least I shut her down immediately. I started it up 4 hours later - message was gone and vehicle sounded fine so I think I am okay.

Letting the Jaguar professionals take it from here tomorrow and hopefully all is okay. So Glad I have a warranty is all - cannot believe they only message you would get is once it is overheated. Flaw I say for Jaguar - feel so much better if it had gauges.

Keep you posted
I wouldn't be to concerned about this . I suspect that there is a significant safety factor that the overheating warning is at a level sufficient enough to let the car reduce to normal idle before shutting down. I don't know what the over temp sensor triggers at bit I suspect it is around 240*. Also a problem with the cooling fan may cause the problem. You did not mention if there was any smoke or if there was any antifreeze smell. Also after you let it cool down what was the coolant level in the tank. I am not happy with lack of gauges but the idiot lights should give a reasonable warning prior to a engine melt down. Normal operating temp is around 200-210*

Old 12-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Default Reply

Thanks for your comfort words - having two Z06's and many sports cars these things scare you.

In your response to your questions: 1: no smell of Smoke of any kind - that would be horrifying to say the least, 2: Dextron Coolant level was Max level in tank and 3: oddly enough it seem like I had a very small odor of coolant - under engine - but nothing show drips of leaks.

Dealer Service manager asked me that as well - he mentioned the small odor might be a little that overflowed into the antifreeze drip pan located under the motor. He seems to think it maybe the start of the your water pump going out. If that is all your smelled and sensed he felt I was fine since I reacted so quickly.

My dealer was telling me a month earlier some lady with a 2012 XK kept driving her car for a day after the " Overheat Engine " message displayed. When she arrived at the dealer the next day the engine was completely seized up. Crazy somebody would ignore this message but sure it happens.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Vtech...I agree with Jagtoes. I'm confident that your engine is safe as you reacted in a timely manner. As bad as the design is without a temp gauge or idiot light, Jaguar must leave some leeway for the driver to shut the car down after the warning appears. It just amazes me that after so many later model XKs have had water pump failures, and continue to have them, as well as the dealers aware of this and replacing engines that have cooked, why isn't there any kind of TSB or recall? It's not a matter of if but when with our water pump failures. This is not acceptable for any car and especially aggravating with a high end luxury brand.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Default Reply

Couldn't agree more - regardless what the service department tells me what caused this problem. I will not drive the car off the dealership unless they replace the thermostat and the most superseded Water Pump.
Geez, for this to happen on a 58 degree day just driving 8 miles under 50 miles a hour, Jaguar is dam lucky I spotted it and had the brains to react.

I couldn't imagine if I was driving from Las Vegas on Interstate 15 going 75 + miles a hour on a 100 degree day. I probably would have not even noticed the Message in the Display with suns reflection. Poof goes a $40,000 engine - either way Jaguar would be paying for it. Based on all the blogs I have printed out regarding this problem - they wont have a choice. It will be noted with the Dealer and Jaguar USA if it reoccurs.

By the way here is the three Water Pumps listed - and the mot superseded one from the other I researched

C2Z29189 (LATEST VERSION FOR XK', XF'S AND XJ'S 2010'S ON)

SUPERSEDES (C2Z28248)

SUPERSEDES (C2Z21781)

Will be confirming these water pumps tomorrow when I meet my Service Dept. - keep you posted

Last edited by vtech; 12-26-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by vtech:
bobdr1 (12-26-2014), bocatrip (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Default follow up

Just a update - drop the car off today at the dealer. They seem to be in agreement regardless to change out water pump and thermostat which probably was the culprit of the issue. Still need to understand why the radiator fan did not engage with a overheating message.

Service manager to a quick check on the specs - no damage was done to motor. Per all your replies - he as well said you shut the car off immediately when message popped up fortunately.

Keep you all posted when pick up the vehicle when completed. Documenting every detail with Jaguar USA in the event this reoccurs and repairs are done properly.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

If I remember correctly(rare) it took Jag 3 tries to get 4.0L engine pumps(XK8, etc) right!!
So here we go again? It's usually the seal or sometimes plastic impeller...........OEM's are plastic.

Happy New Year, Adrian

Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Default Reply

Just got a update from the Service Manager - Jagtoe's you were correct - the Radiator Fan not engaging is what caused the " Engine Overheat Message " to pop up. My Fan Pack Assembly (so they called it) went bad. They are telling me no Coolant was lost - the overflow tank was reading at the MAX level after all this happened so I believe that. Their are no signs of leaks around the Water Pump and thermostat is functioning properly.

They are going to replace the Fan Pack which is the Fan, Relay and a module under warranty. After that they are going to conduct another Pressure Check on the system and get back to me. The Service Advisor working on my car did share with me the problems on Water Pumps on 2010's and 2011's. However he said your car was not effected - manufacture in late December 2011 - so he felt. Regardless after they recheck everything they will make a decision with Jaguar USA.

At this point regardless it is on file and been noted. If they decide not to change out the water pump and the vehicle Overheats again in the future because of a defected Water Pump - it is on their shoulders now.
I am sure they are considering this in strong detail now that it is recorded in the system - keep you posted.

Regardless I have the Factory Warranty in place through 12/12/2016 ( those 2011 Jag Platinum's-5 year)
and CPO Dealer warranty add another year 12/12/2017 + 100,000 miles gives me a lot of comfort.

Last edited by vtech; 12-26-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

... The Service Advisor working on my car did share with me the problems on Water Pumps on 2010's and 2011's. However he said your car was not effected - manufacture in late December 2011 - so he felt. ...
Maybe not.

My 2013 XJ 5.0L SC recently had the water pump replaced under warranty. It was placed in service on 12/26/2012, so I presume that it was manufactured between August and October 2012.

Assuming that the water pumps are the same in 5.0L XJs and XKs, based on my experience it appears that all 5.0L XKs from 2010 through 2013 are affected.

Stuart

Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Default Final Follow up

Stuart:

Yes, in agreement more with you than what this Service Advisor was trying to sell me. I have seen water pumps having to get replaced in 2012 and 13 models for the 5.0 Supercharge. I think what he was trying to convince me of was the replacement water pumps were much higher up through September 2011 manufactured years on the 5.0's. My reply back to him was 1 replacement pump is to many.

What they ended up doing is replacing the complete Fan and Cowl assembly with motor that sits behind the radiator - Part # C2D38737. Looks like that part costs around $725.00 and 5 hours labor to install. I am sure Jaguar will pick up a nice warranty charge - thank you.

They also completed a second pressure test on the system and no leaks detected and not coolant need to be added.

Most importantly they have notes made in depth that Water Pump was checked and tested twice - no need to be replaced - comments. At this point the burden is on their shoulders if it fails in anyway and causes damage to my motor, their responsible. Obviously I will be keeping a close eye on the system and if any doubts - back it goes to the dealer.

Thanks again for all your feedback and knowledge on these threads. I still will be waiting for any recall if Jaguar decides to do the right thing.

Vtech

Last edited by vtech; 12-27-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: revise
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had mine replaced 2 weeks ago under CPO, at 38k (noticed coolant on garage floor) FYI replacement part C2Z21781

Last edited by Gato Negro; 12-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

By the way here is the three Water Pumps listed - and the mot superseded one from the other I researched

C2Z29189 (LATEST VERSION FOR XK', XF'S AND XJ'S 2010'S ON)

SUPERSEDES (C2Z28248)

SUPERSEDES (C2Z21781)

Will be confirming these water pumps tomorrow when I meet my Service Dept. - keep you posted

Gato Negro - you state that your water pump was replaced with part C2Z21781. If I am reading the posting I quoted above correctly, it would seem that you did not get the most recent water pump (C2Z29189). Am I missing something? What I, and many others, would like to know is what is the most recent water pump part# so that when (if) we need a replacement we will know what to ask for.

vtech - you were going confirm these water pump part #'s when you met with your Service Dept. Did you have an opportunity to get an answer from them?

Anyone with knowledge here feel free to respond. All input is greatly appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GrtShrk
Gato Negro - you state that your water pump was replaced with part C2Z21781. If I am reading the posting I quoted above correctly, it would seem that you did not get the most recent water pump (C2Z29189). Am I missing something? What I, and many others, would like to know is what is the most recent water pump part# so that when (if) we need a replacement we will know what to ask for.

vtech - you were going confirm these water pump part #'s when you met with your Service Dept. Did you have an opportunity to get an answer from them?

Anyone with knowledge here feel free to respond. All input is greatly appreciated!

GrtShrk......I was about to ask the same question with regards to Gato Negro getting a water pump part number that was supposedly superseded. It would be nice to definitively know what the latest water pump part number is from someone who recently had their water pump changed. Hopefuly Vtech can shed some light on this subject. We all need help in this dept!

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-28-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Default follow up

Since my water pump was not being replaced this go around - was not able to confirm these Water Pump part numbers and which one is the most recent.

I pulled this information up on line somewhere during a Google search and now cannot find the thread. Honestly not 100% sure on these water pump part numbers and which one is the most recent. Probably best to ask a Jaguar mechanic ?

Interesting, you can pull these three part number pumps up on E Bay. They all claim to fit our years models and assume the higher part number is the most current.

Last edited by vtech; 12-29-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: revise
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Went in for service about a month ago for my 2012 XKR. Had the 3rd of 4 platinum checkups on my 4 year warranty (1 year left). They know that I know about the water pump issue and they know that I knew I wanted it check for leaks. They said no leaks. OK!??!?!? Still waiting for the warning... everything breaks on a car eventually... its all a matter of time!

Loth

Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gents, thanks for the input! According to my service record receipt thats the part number. I had the same question........did I get the latest one? if not why put the same part number Jaguar has problems with? HUM? Happy New Year

The following users liked this post:
GrtShrk (12-29-2014)