XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Has your X150 not been troublesome?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Has your X150 not been troublesome?

A while back we had such a thread, I thought I'd see who is still having a mechanically reliable experience.

I bought my car in late 2015 with 48K miles on it, I am now approaching 75K miles.

One coolant part, various filters, various fluids, battery, brake light bulb, two sets of tires. I like soft rubber, I like fresh rubber.

When the battery was starting to go, the car did get funky, TPMS saying tires were low that were not, etc...

When I first got the car it had an issue that went away when the fuel filter was changed. Jaguar was a time or mileage interval on the fuel filter.

Nothing I would consider out of line; all good here.

I do not have full records prior to buying the car, but nothing was done that I know of besides a battery in 2012, and oil changes.

It has been a great car, most of my miles were in the first two years I owned it. The battery started to go once after started working from home. Possibly being driven less was a factor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tervuren:
Clellandm (08-28-2020), winstonsalemncxk (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Bought my 2010 off-lease CPO, it had..... 32??? ,000 miles. Now it's nearly 70k and six+ years later. ONE problem and a couple annoying things.
After 5 years and 30k miles I had one injector get stuck open. Sure, it cost $2k to get it fixed, but now I have new injectors, plugs, and the water pump was checked and OK'ed.
Other than that, the TPMS comes on once in awhile (again) but I do have four new sensors waiting for new tires next month. On the second replacement battery as of two months ago, but since they are only good for 3-5 years, I'm OK with that.
A couple times I had to whack the headlights to get the Warning to go away, but that hasn't happened in two years now.
Overall, I think this is the most reliable car I've had over five year's ownership. Ever.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I bought mine 2 years ago and driven 25000km but the only cost I've had are the PPS sensors.:-)

Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

No big issues here: my XK has been pretty good to me. I bought my 2007 XK two and a half years ago with 20k miles on it. I'll hit 40k miles this week. I had to replace a few suspension bushings upon purchase, plus rear brake pads/rotors. After settling into the car, I've only had to address the thermostat (and housing), cut the A/C duckbill, and swap a problematic headlight with a used one from ebay. Other than that, I've just done fluids, filters, etc. Great car.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I have had my '10 XKR 18 months. The water pump and supercharger coupling were changed very early on in my ownership, under warranty.

It now sounds like a diesel though when cold so I am wondering if something is about to go bang! The engines are so noisy anyway that it isn't obvious listening with the bonnet open but in the car with the windows closed I can hear it quite clearly. It changes speed as the engine does and I can make it come and go by pressing the accelerator slightly. I do wonder if it is the timing chain tensioner issue but it has only done 22,000 miles.

I had my '07 XKR for 4 years and the only major thing that went on that was one of the cats. It also had a wishbone bush changed and a thermostat but other than that it was just the usual service items.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had my 2008 XKR Portfolio for 5 years and put on around 5K miles per year (now has 65k miles). The only things I've had done beyond a oil and filter change annually are:
  • Battery replacement
  • Tire replacement
  • Duck bill replacement
  • Detail and ceramic coating
The car runs, drives, and looks brand new. I'm looking forward to the next 5 years of trouble free operation.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I worry the same on my 12 vert, but as you say these engines are not the quitest anyway.

Other than that fear though, we picked it up two years back with 35K on the clock and are sitting at 60K now. As others have experienced, intermittant TPMS seems to be the biggest concern right now with the battery as suspect but I'm not convinced is at fault (yet). I've put a second set of wheels w/sensors on it (had new rubber when bought) with a change in rubber all round. And I'm still in process of fitting summer rubber for the second set (will see if the TPMS goes away with the second set of new sensors).

There was a misshap a month back that bent a rear toe link and buggered a wheel but that was self inflicted so not a flaw in the car just the user. New rotors & pads plus a new top shortly after purchase, that was damaged by the PO. There was an issue with some blistering paint but that was attributed to the top issue by the PO, so again not the car.

All-in-all, I've experienced two years that are trouble free only needing routine maintenance. These are sweet rides well worth their value!

Last edited by pwpacp; 06-17-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Queen and Country (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Bought my '12 XKR vert in November, 2011. All major problems were covered under warranty. Post warranty the only thing I've done is to swap the Dunlops for Michelin Pilots. It's been treating me well so far. Cteck is my friend.

Clellandm (08-28-2020)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Mechanically excellent the 1 year and 6k I've owned it. Tpms sensors are being replaced soon, and i have a leak in my washer jug i need to fix. Relatively uneventful compared to my oldest stuff, even when they were this age and mileage.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Bought mine a little over 2 years ago with 23,000 miles. I now have 64,000 miles.

Issues I've had:
1. Dropping glovebox - easily fixed by me.
2. Rear window separation. Fixed by me with Rhino glue, suck-it-clamps and some silicone caulk, based on the information from this site. (Thank you!) Functional but looks a little ugly due to my poor craftsmanship.
3. Replaced brake pads. Done by me.
4. Oil changes.
5. Rear-ended, $12,000 in damage. Not the car's fault! BUT after repair it looks great and no issues remain as a result.
6. Changed battery. Still have occasional glitches with the computer screen not booting up. But start the car again and usually it goes back to normal.
7. I am due for tires now. 40,000+ miles on the ones I have (Delinte) is pretty good IMO. They have worn very evenly.

So, in summary, it has been a great car!

Last edited by 110reef; 06-17-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Purchased my 07 XKR 5 years ago with 19,000 miles, now at 44,000 miles and still smiling. Bunch of wonky issue's at first but a new battery and religious use of a maintainer has resolved all. Had an odd catalytic converter failure, see "catalytic converter delete why not?" TPMS's now need replacing as I suspect they are factory and one is no longer reading. Had the duck bill issue and fixed it with a slash and gash but now a couple years later more water on my weather techs and the cabin fan is no longer working I suspect it is duck bill oriented in it's issues but have not looked into. Unable to lock the doors I suspect it is fob related. New headliner, new tires, oil changes that has been about it. Other than the one "unreasonable acceleration" ticket it just has been an absolute pleasure to own (even that was fun...ish, and we wore it like a badge of honor).

Last edited by 1 of 19; 06-17-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Alzheimers
Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

I’ve had my ‘14 XKR convertible a little more than three years. I bought it with around 12k miles and it’s just about to turn 30k now. I’ve had to replace the active exhaust system twice under warranty ($7,500 if I had to pay for it myself). Also, sometimes when I would raise the passenger window, it would go up, stop at the top, and go back down. That was fixed under warranty. My defrost stopped working and that took three trips to the dealer before they fixed it under warranty. Very frustrating experience getting them to fix it! The dealer replaced my battery under warranty without me even complaining about it being weak. A couple times my computer has been slow to turn on and I attribute that to a weak battery. I don’t use a tender.

Other than that, it’s been a great car and I consider it to be very reliable. This car has exceeded my expectations of it. I absolutely love it. I will be needing new tires at some point.

Tracee (08-27-2020)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Bought my 2011 last year with 74K miles on it from a Porsche dealer. The car was traded for an Aston Martin. I've got about 78K on it now. No issues except the shift dial sticks from time to time and I ordered a new part which should arrive this week sometime. Had a rear sway bar link replaced. A very cheep and easy fix. Was a pretty good car fax showing maintenance was done before I bought it. I think the guy that owned it was a car guy cause the thing is so nice. Hope I have good luck with it but I won't be surprised if it wants more money. Thoroughbreds aren't cheep. Any way I love it.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Bought my '07 three years ago with 70K on it, now has 90K. Most of the work done on it could be described as maintenance. It is a daily driver although I barely put 7K a year on it. Don't use a tender. I consider myself very lucky as Brutal is available to take care of the things I cannot do.
a) As soon as I got it, had the oil and filter changed and a 4 wheel alignment.
b) Back glass had to be re-glued to the convertible top.
c) Brake pads
d) Transmission fluid and filter. Brake fluid flush.
e) Replaced one bushing.
f) Duck bill cut off.
g) Air filters, engine and cabin.

Last edited by JackJohn; 06-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

So my 2007 XK has been with me for somewhat over 4.5 but I've probably only put on 13k (of the 49k on the clock) in that time (my 'good day' daily driver).
My list of maintenance tasks is small, but this car is still 'young' (in miles and age) in terms of how long I keep a car, so the lack of issues 'so soon' is not really a predictor of what I might encounter going forward.
My list:
1. Rear diff fluid change (the howl is still there, but as my hearing degrades, its less noticeable )
2. Glove box drop
3. Thermostat and housing
4. Ceramic brake pads (hated the OEM dust)
5. Ash tray latch
6. Duckbill surgery
7. Front struts replaced (RH leaked)
8. Valve cover oil leak (some previous numb-nut didn't tighten one bolt)
9. Oil and filter changes

Have done several 'mods', and there's a bunch more on my 'to-do when the wife is out-of-town" list.
No other car has put a smile on my face when I just see it, and driving is pure pleasure.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

9 months of ownership of my 2014 Dynamic and no 'must do' repairs, just stuff I chose to do.

I shod it with new MPS4S rubber, fitted new boot struts, changed a slightly buckled wheel (from previous owner) and servicing costs.

Bought at 44k and now sitting at 50k, so am pleased thus far

Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Purchased my 2012 convert in fall of 2014 with 6,666 miles on the clock. Received prior owner maintenance with other then oil service it had a replacement battery prior to me buying it. The car was CPO'ed by the dealer who sold it and maintained it. All recalls had been done. After I got the car the glove box drop problem was fixed with a new glove box. The alternator was replaced both under CPO. I replaced 2 rear tires at 10,000 miles and front tires at 13,000 miles along with a 4 wheel alignment. Replaced BT module under CPO. Last was a battery replacement this year. I have had an annual oil service as well as brake fluid flush at the dealership. The car presently just ticked over 24,000 miles.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

I bought my 2008 Coupe almost 15 months ago @ 50,000 miles and immediately fell in love with the 20" Sentas and Alcon Brake package, as well as the rest of the car! Now I'm @ 67,000 miles. After owning an X-Type for 5 years I knew what I was getting into, and knew I could handle the repairs and maint. myself.

Things I had to fix: squeaky power windows; tie rod ends (front/back); MAF sensors (still troubleshooting); PCV valve; glovebox damper fix; misc. vacuum lines, gaskets, seals

60K maintenance: oil change; power steering flush; supercharger fluid; trans filter, pan, fluid; diff fluid; 4 rotors + pads; injector service/cleaning; intake service/cleaning

Future repairs: suspension bushings (basically all of them); rear sway bar bushings

Things i'm glad I didn't have to deal with: duckbill; dashboard leather pulling; headliner; a slow car

Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased my 2010 Portfolio just under four years ago with 16,500 miles. It now has 28,100 miles and the only unusual expense I had was replacing a sagging headliner a few years ago. Otherwise oil changes, tires and a recent battery replacement are the only expenses I've had with the car. It's time for another oil change so there may be another unknown expense in my future but so far, the XK has been far less expensive to own than the nine Porsche's that preceded it.

Queen and Country (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by ag986
I purchased my 2010 Portfolio just under four years ago with 16,500 miles. It now has 28,100 miles and the only unusual expense I had was replacing a sagging headliner a few years ago. Otherwise oil changes, tires and a recent battery replacement are the only expenses I've had with the car. It's time for another oil change so there may be another unknown expense in my future but so far, the XK has been far less expensive to own than the nine Porsche's that preceded it.

Purchased my 2010 5 years ago. It now has 50k miles.
Like you, headliner, battery, tires.

I did however have to clean the daylights out of the oil passages to make startup noise go away.

I object to the premise of the title of this thread. Its like asking is your Alsatian not straight. It implies all Alsatians are.

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
gkubrak (06-18-2019), guy (06-18-2019), ralphwg (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Has your X150 not been troublesome?