XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hats off to black car owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Hej Peter,
The logic is that dirt requires nearly no pressure to scratch paint.
Just dirt on a soft foam will put swirls in paint.
A household pressure washer can apply 200psi with even low pressure fan tip.
Most manufacturers advise against it. I believe Jaguar does.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I feel for you.
Do the easy to do ceramic coat that I posted elsewhere. Not only will you not have this problem, but NE frequent rains will keep the car clean. Basically it repels anything water-based and what sticks is not sticking to the paint.

Plus on the truck you have only one horizontal panel that you can see, the hood, so put a clear film on the entire hood.
Sounds like something I should try. Which ceramic coat do you use?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
I have just bought a black car...what have I done to myself)

I am hoping a ceramic treatment will help me keep the swirl marks away.

will it?
Aston, or something else?

Old 10-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Sounds like something I should try. Which ceramic coat do you use?
https://sonax-cc36.com/
The others have problems with water spots

Old 10-30-2017, 02:29 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Hej Peter,
The logic is that dirt requires nearly no pressure to scratch paint.
Just dirt on a soft foam will put swirls in paint.
A household pressure washer can apply 200psi with even low pressure fan tip.
Most manufacturers advise against it. I believe Jaguar does.
Each to there own but I do not believe a pressure washer scratches more then a spunch.
Yes, you have to be careful if you have a high pressure washer at where you aim.

My MG, I used it all the time but it looks pretty scratchfree!:-)

I polished the car one's a year with Sonax Polish and waxed it with Sonax hardwax.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up

If you have a black car or even a dark coloured one and most do have swirl marks then Poorboys Blackhole is brilliant.
It is basically a filler that after application makes the swirl marks disappear.
It takes a while to apply in small areas but I find that after application I polish and then use a sealant ,AutoGlym, you can’t see the swirl marks.
They are still there but invisible. Lasts about a year and my car sits outside all year.

Google it and watch the video.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

It's difficult to keep clean but when it is, it's stunning.

Attached Thumbnails Hats off to black car owners-theres-something-about-black.jpg  
BruceTheQuail (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Its like grass:
Which on paper is the dumbest idea in the world
It will cost you a $100K over your life.
It feed nothing, shelters no one, provides no shade.
If you grew trees in its place, you would make $100k.

But we are irrational creatures that love vanity. Like peacocks.
Then where do we draw the line? By picking an easier color to keep clean on our hideously long plumage.

I agree with Jagtoes. Black trucks are a particularly silly idea.
An oxymoron. Like black jackets on bikers.

Why did Ford pick black as the only color on the Model T?

Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Growing trees instead of grass won't make you $100,000, especially on the average homestead. That's stupid. It won't make you any money at all. Having trees harvested can make you some money, depending on the species and how they were grown, but simply growing trees instead of grass won't make you a dime. There are costs involved in having trees harvested, or in doing it yourself. The acreage required to get a $100,000 stand of trees is much bigger than you think. Even with fast growing pine, you only make about $100 a year per acre on them. Grow hardwoods and you make far less. All that assumes that you have a significant area to use, and actually know how to cultivate trees. If you're just doing a 2 acre plot, you won't make any money. Assuming you're going to plant trees at 30, and harvest them at 60, you've got a 30 year span to make $100,000. Assuming your profit margin is the same as the companies who grow, harvest, and process their own trees (which it won't be), you'll make about $3,000 per acre in total. That means you need 33 acres of land to make your $100,000 (over 30 years). How big is the average homestead? I bet it's less than 33 acres. Want to grow the beautiful black walnut trees? They take twice as long to grow, so if you start at 30, you can't even retire with them. Your kids might, but you won't. You'll have the added bonus of being able to harvest the walnuts that fall, but that's an insane amount of work. Or an insane dollar investment for equipment to do it for you.

And before you try to call me a liar, I happen to be related to the treasurer of the Trail's End Hunting club, which leases hunting rights on land from Weyerhaeuser. You can find their website at https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ Weyerhaeuser's profit is about $100 per year per acre. They will happily clear their own trees for us to make a food plot anywhere we want at $100 per acre per year, because we would be replacing their lost profit. You're not going to do better than Weyerhaeuser.

Peacocks aren't irrational or vain; peahens might be, but not the *****. Peahens are the ones that made peacocks brightly colored and flashy. Just like in the human population, the hens do the mate selection and they like pretty feathers on their boys. The peacocks aren't picky at all, like the human population. Seriously, go look at pictures of peahens. They're just another big bird. The ***** don't care; the hens are a bit prissy and only want to lay eggs with pretty boys.

And I see you're off on your off on your Ford tirade again. I guess them using a high maintenance color is yet another example of how they don't know anything about luxury. If you actually knew anything about Ford, you'd know that the Model T was available in many colors, not just black. In fact, the early ones weren't even available in black. They started using only black in the later years because it was cheaper and dried faster, allowing them to put out vehicles faster to try and keep up with demand.

Cee Jay (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag XKR
Growing trees instead of grass won't make you $100,000, especially on the average homestead. That's stupid.
It would seem stupid to your sort.
But its not by selling the wood dummy.

https://www.arborday.org/trees/clima...ummershade.cfm

Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Back to the paint question, unfortunately I couldnt get the Sonax over here and I did my daughter's car with the carpro cquartz. Really it is a very very big job getting the correction right and to be honest, I reckon if a professional would do it for $500 or so I would have been on to that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

But I was very happy with the finished product and now (about 4 months later) it is still looking very good even though the car sits out in the heat.

The reload was a bit streaky and hard to use when I tried it on her car but I hadnt read the instructions which say to water it down 50/50 on darker paint. I've since done that and used it on my car and my wife's (both IRR Jags) and it is amazingly good, I am getting comments all the time. I'm finding it really easy to use as well, so I'd have to say after about 3 months of use on the Jags I am a convert.

The only thing is that I found it attracted dust like you wouldnt believe at first (we had a prolonged dry spell so it was very dusty) but maybe that was the static from the cloths? In any event, we are having rain now and the dust issue is done (and dusted).

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Bruce I had pointed out the problems you encountered in a thread about ceramic coating.

I don't care for the cquartz, had it on my car for 2 years, caused more problems than it solved. Wait till you go to remove it (you probably wont) its a bear. The issue is that the ceramic falls off and the resin base coat remains.

Not sure why you have not been able to find it. Have you contacted them? (Here is the info for Sonax Australia/NZ again; SONAX Australia
207/6 Clayton Street
1023 AUCKLAND
Phone:+64 9 918 3472
Mobile:+64 21 733 381
Email: info@sonax.com.au
Web: http://www.sonax.com.au

Use this product over the cquartz: https://www.sonax.com.au/Care-Tips/C...int-protection

It will solve all its problems. Its meant to be applied over ceramic coatings, and indeed the second layer that comes in the kit available here.

Here is a video of the 'polymer net shield'

Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Yeah the .au address is actually for a New Zealand company and there is no ability to purchase from the web.

I looked at other sites in Australia and I could buy some things but it was limited. This is about the closest I think https://jku.com.au/sonax-extreme-pro...-opticoat.html and I cant recall that being available when I looked when we chatted about it in the other thread.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yes that will work. On both your car and the car you applied cquartz to.
I don't know why they are playing games with the branding. Particularly since all the reviews from around the world cant be used.

I recommend it because there is no downside. It easily removed if you find its not for you.
It cures the problem cquartz has with water spotting and attraction of dust.
The Sonax CC36 is basically the cquartz as the first layer and a second layer of the can in your link.

Can post a link to AU/NZ website that sells detailing products, there may be an alternative I could spot.

BruceTheQuail (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Peter V8,
You have made that MG really good looking, stance, wheel size and lowering. It looks very proportionate.

peterv8 (10-31-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It would seem stupid to your sort.
But its not by selling the wood dummy.

https://www.arborday.org/trees/clima...ummershade.cfm
Planting trees to conserve energy on your electric bill doesn't make you any money either. Not a single penny. Not spending money is not the same thing as making money. You didn't buy a $1,000,000 yacht today, but you sure didn't make $1,000,000 either, dummy. Not spending money isn't making money. Those are two completely different things.

It will take 20 years for trees to get to the size they are in those pictures, unless you plant trees that don't provide significant amounts of shade. The vast majority of people don't even live in the same house long enough to start seeing a benefit from planting trees instead of grass. That's beside the point though. Let's look at the math. That website claims a 35% reduction in heating and cooling costs. Heating and cooling is basically half of your electric bill. (Your results may vary of course, but I'll be happy to work with your preferred numbers if you like) You're looking at 35% of half of your total electricity bill. Let's assume you're paying $400 a month on average throughout the year. (Yes, I know very few people pay that much, but let's just assume that anyway) Trees will let you save $70 per month on average. $100,000 is 1428 months away. That's 120 years down the road. If you have a more realistic $200 a month electricity bill, then you're looking at 240 years to save $100,000 on your bill. Your house will fall apart long before then. Those trees will die and rot away before then. Heck, you will die and rot away before then. Heck, at $400 a month in electricity bills, you're looking at 20 years just to pay $100,000 in electric bills. At $200 a month, that's 40 years of electric bills to work up to $100,000. In order for those trees to save you $100,000 in 60 years (a somewhat reasonable time frame) you would need an electric bill of about $800 per month. And that assumes the best case for your website's claims. You would do better just planting pine trees to sell as wood. 33 acres of land won't cost you $800 a month for 60 years.

I guess you're right, it does seem stupid to someone of my sort. I'm OK with you using a bit of artistic liberty, but you are orders of magnitude off from where the facts are. Can you save $10,000 over your lifetime by using the trees? It's unlikely, but eh I'd give that one to you. $100,000, on the other hand, is a stupid claim. That's almost a lifetime of electric bills for the average household. Can your XKR do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds? Probably not, but eh, I'll give it to you. Can it do 0-60 in 0.39 seconds? Hell no, and it's stupid to even make such a claim. That's the scale upon which your error lies.

Do you think about the things you post before you post them? Did you look at the math and try to figure out if saving $100,000 in electric bills based on a reduction in heating and cooling costs is actually possible? If you did, run that by me. I'd love to see how to you figured $100,000 in utility bill savings when that much money is half a lifetime or more worth of bills. Is it based on $1,500 a month in bills for a 10,000 square foot house or something?

Cee Jay (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Black V. Silver; you decide

Two nearly identical cars, both with same 100 miles worth of road dust. Which looks cleaner?

[No trees were planted or harvested in the making of this post.]

JagRag (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Silver looks cleaner as it hides the dirt better then a dark color. A dusty black car looks clean from 20 ft away but a silver dusty car still looks good from 5 ft away. Just my observation.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag XKR
... Not spending money is not the same thing as making money. ... Not spending money isn't making money. Those are two completely different things. ...
Benjamin Franklin disagrees.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

^

Gotta agree with that one.

Last edited by Tervuren; 11-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.