XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Headlight problem

Hi everyone!
I'm posting here, maybe someone could have an idea what the problem could be. Headlight on my '07 xkr (passenger side) seems to have an issue. As you can see on the picture, there is some kind of shadow or something in the way of light beam on upper half of the lense. I already opened both units (from the back), even switched the bulbs, but this opstacle remains. From the back both headlights look identical, nothing is off. I even managed to raise the beem, but it still doesn't seem to function as it should. Motors of adaptive unit are fine, at engine start it performs standard check 'up, down, l, r'. Only possible thing is that somehow lense fall out or is dislocated? Any ideas?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:13 AM
Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

It looks like the high beam cover of the Xenon is stuck

Old 06-19-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DannyJ
It looks like the high beam cover of the Xenon is stuck
Yes, that's what thought. But when high beam is on, both headlights are working.
I even tried that little lever inside, just next to xenon bulb, that puts the beam down when you drive in country with oposite traffic (ex. England). But it works normally, too.
It seems that I will have to find someone to open whole headlight to find what blocks the beam. I just don't understand because when I remove the bulb and look into the lense, there is no opstacle.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord_Eduard
Yes, that's what thought. But when high beam is on, both headlights are working.
I even tried that little lever inside, just next to xenon bulb, that puts the beam down when you drive in country with oposite traffic (ex. England). But it works normally, too.
It seems that I will have to find someone to open whole headlight to find what blocks the beam. I just don't understand because when I remove the bulb and look into the lense, there is no opstacle.
I know that you can actually move (adjust) the beam left to right , I didn't know it could be moved up ? Mine have dipped it would be ideal to adjust them further up

Old 06-20-2020, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I know that you can actually move (adjust) the beam left to right , I didn't know it could be moved up ? Mine have dipped it would be ideal to adjust them further up
There are two white plastic imbus screws, one on left and one on the right upper side of headlight.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Brilliant today I fixed my glove box , tomorrow I'll take a look and hopefully be able to adjust the beam upward . Thnxs

Old 07-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Within few days I'm going to remove headlights and try to solve this issue by myself.
While doing it, I would like to install resistors for my new led turn signals in headlamps. And I need help!
Does anyone know which wires are for turn signals? Something like this, I found that in XF forum section, maybe it could be for XK as well?? Long shot I know...

Old 07-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Full service performed on both headlights
High beam solenoid wiring repaired and over a dozen wires reinsulated

With the headlight there are two flaps - one controlled by the solenoid and also a seperate lever (the second photo I posted) which must be in push down manually otherwise it will still obstructe the beam.

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 07-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
guy (07-04-2020), Lord_Eduard (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:11 PM

Great, thanks a lot! I have 2 questions, 1st by lever you mean this one?

Old 07-03-2020, 06:13 PM

And 2nd, are these turn signal +/- wires you are holding?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Great, thanks a lot! I have 2 questions, 1st by lever you mean this one?
That's correct!

Old 07-03-2020, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

And 2nd, are these turn signal +/- wires you are holding?
Also correct!!

Re-insulated now , seems to be a common issue with our headlights

Old 07-05-2020, 07:09 AM

Regarding that lever, I red in manual that its function is when you drive in LHT countries and should be put down in order not to blind other drivers, and upon return should be put up so it doesn't opstruct light beam.
About brown/red wires, are they match in the cabel outside the headlight, cause I'm not prone for opening mine?

Old 07-06-2020, 05:54 PM

Ok, summary of today's work is next:
I opened the back of both headlights, lever on both of them is workin, nothing is stuck, from the back they both look the same as seen on the pictures bellow. Lens is the problem, don't know yet how exactly so I'll have to have the disassembled and refurbished.

The only thing I did conclude is they are not the pair, at some point first owner had one of them replaced.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM

The second thing I did was to install the 8 ohm resistors for led turn signals. If anyone wants to do the same, in picture bellow is the scheme for turn signals +/- wires on cable that connects to headlight unit. And few pictures with how headlights look with all white led bulbs and amber cover.

I forgot to take the picture with resistors installed, will do it next time I pull out headlights. One important thing to remember, they do heat up. A lot. So don't place them anywhere near the headlight or anything plastic. I was thinking to even isolate other wires from the cable if it touches them so they don't melt.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Lord if you decide to separate be careful to minimize touching the plastic chrome its very very fragile and comes off easily on the finger tips .

Also there is a hidden t20 screw in the back of the headlight that connects it to the lens

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 07-06-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Thanks! Yes, I've seen this srew. But I doubt I'll get into opening headlights, there's an indie in my town that does that kind of work. So I'd rather pay, then risk doing some damage. I'll keep you posted about what was the problem, maybe that helps someone.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Problem finally solved! The repairer told me that bulb was shifted a little (didn't tell me the details), lenses were catastroficaly dirty and he also removed that hidious amber reflector. I will post pictures tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Problem finally solved! The repairer told me that bulb was shifted a little (didn't tell me the details), lenses were catastrophically dirty and he also removed that hideous amber reflector. I will post pictures tomorrow.
I've heard tales that the smoky appearance inside the projector lens is supposed to be crystal clear, and mine's a bit foggy. Maybe I have that particular problem also.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I've heard tales that the smoky appearance inside the projector lens is supposed to be crystal clear, and mine's a bit foggy. Maybe I have that particular problem also.
That is very true. They should by all means, be crystal clear. I could spot the difference even during the bright, sunny day. Even by looking into them, you could almost see through. I can only guess how big of a difference now is. Shame I work the night shift though, so I can't test them.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem