XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Headlight Replacement Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Here we go.

Top picture is with LED upgrade and no foglights. Picture below is with LED upgrade and the halogen foglights I have been depending on at night. The Fog lights were brighter than the low beam, before switching to LED I’m going upgrade to LED fogs tomorrow. Will post pics soon.
Did you clean the lenses before installed the LEDs?

Thinking of doing the change but have the same issue with the hands. Sux getting old.

The following users liked this post:
Superchargedxkr (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
Did you clean the lenses before installed the LEDs?

Thinking of doing the change but have the same issue with the hands. Sux getting old.
Cleaning the inside of the lenses would probably be much easier accomplished while the whole assemblies were removed. That's not a hard job at all. Three screws, a hose and a connector.

Brewtech (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Great thread, as my right main beam wasn't working as I purchased it for repair, so new D1S lamp installed, no different 😕, the inside of the light has tide marks Where it has literally been flooded, so that's what I found in the glove box 🤔 the clear plastic cover from the top of the light 😢😢
No wonder it's not working, so I'm guessing the ballast unit that power's the lamp is toast 😕
Today the light is half way out completely, wheel arch liners out, front bumper off, now I can get at it 😀😂😂
I'll try keep you updated
Oh I purchased 6000k lamps, link below 👍
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-D1S-G...-127635-2958-0

Old 02-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Received 594 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Cleaning the inside of the lenses would probably be much easier accomplished while the whole assemblies were removed. That's not a hard job at all. Three screws, a hose and a connector.
Just about anything should be done off the car, since they're so easy to remove. Don't know why anyone would do anything with these on the car.

Once finished and polished, highly recommend Spraymax headlight clear. A two-part mix (done in the can) cures to a solid hard clearcoat that seems to be highly resistant to UV and browning. Pricey but highly effective. Far easier to give a good even coat with the pods off the car. The junk clear coating in the kits is a waste of time.

Cee Jay (02-10-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Id like to point out that my outer lenses are clear and brand new looking. The projector lenses which are inside of the headlight housing are cloudy on mine. So lets not confuse the two.

1. Outer lenses are plastic which can be polished.
2. Projector lenses are glass and can be accessed via the rear opening of the housing, and cleaned with long cotton swabs or using a wire hanger with a microfiber cloth properly wrapped to it.

I did not clean my projector lenses yet, but the light output from the LED bulbs are night and day. I also installed a set of yellow fog lights since I can see better with them in the rain, plus they make the car look nice and fresh compared to the DS1 Xenon and Halogen fog combo. Here’s a pic of them now.

The problem with the Xenon bulbs is that if they start to fail they will continue to turn on and emit very little light. With an LED bulb, once it goes bad it dies, so replacing it is an immediate must. I cant believe the difference now that Ive switched to full led up front.
Once I clean the PROJECTOR LENSES the output should increase a bit more.

Last edited by Brewtech; 02-11-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Juss (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread! Brewtech, which led bulbs are you going to change to for your fog lights? And are you changing any others?

Old 02-11-2023, 11:30 AM

Not sure if you are in the uk, but does MOT get upset at LED bulbs? A lot of complaints that they blind other drivers, even when used in projector systems. Problem is, LEDs sometimes don't Focus correctly in a projector system. So instead of a sharp line, you'll get a blast of light similar to a high beam being on all the time. In some cities in the us, you can have PD push back on you if they think your headlights are too bright. My guess is that if you get the sharp line like you do with a Xenon in a projector, you're probably okay. If not, your LEDs aren't focusing correctly.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:59 AM

I've also just bought these to clean the lenses:

https://a.co/d/eFNpQ0o

I'm wondering if anyone has used alcohol to clean the insides. Is there any chance that that might damage them in anyone's experience?

Superchargedxkr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Juss
I've also just bought these to clean the lenses:

https://a.co/d/eFNpQ0o

I'm wondering if anyone has used alcohol to clean the insides. Is there any chance that that might damage them in anyone's experience?
Those ones are five inches long, you'll only have an inch or two to grasp at the end, the lens is kind of deep, proportionally. I do like the design though. Maybe make the handles a bit longer? Let us know how they work.

Superchargedxkr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:29 PM

What cj said......

Old 02-11-2023, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by panthera999
Not sure if you are in the uk, but does MOT get upset at LED bulbs? A lot of complaints that they blind other drivers, even when used in projector systems. Problem is, LEDs sometimes don't Focus correctly in a projector system. So instead of a sharp line, you'll get a blast of light similar to a high beam being on all the time. In some cities in the us, you can have PD push back on you if they think your headlights are too bright. My guess is that if you get the sharp line like you do with a Xenon in a projector, you're probably okay. If not, your LEDs aren't focusing correctly.
The LED is as sharp and yes brighter, but I have had no issues and Ive even sat in my XJS while my wife drove the XK towards me. No problems blinding other drivers. I know that its not okay to blind others so Ive been testing it all week and Ive had no flashing lights and no issues with police, and I live a heavily policed city. LEDs are the future. Forget the xenons, they burn out too soon.

Thats pretty sharp and no odd light dispersement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewtech:
Juss (02-11-2023), panthera999 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Great thread! Brewtech, which led bulbs are you going to change to for your fog lights? And are you changing any others?
I already replaced the fogs with yellow led’s

DS1 headlight plug and play LED replacement

H11 Fog light LED replacement

Last edited by Brewtech; 02-11-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Juss (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 04:00 PM
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Bonding
Hi to all, have just replaced a pair of headlight bulbs. I have owned my 2007 for the last 3 years and have only looked back by way of the rear view mirror.
The only issue recently is the lack of brightness with the headlights. I carried out a very decent restoration of both lenses as they were quite misted and there was a slight improvement however not enough to give adequate night vision.

Before

After

A new battery needed replacing recently only to offer no change so after much time looking into the minefield of which type of replacement bulbs to purchase I have opted for the following from Amazon ..

Sinoparcel D1S Xenon Bulb -2 Years Warranty- 35W 8000K HID Headlight Replacement -Discharge Lamp -Pack of 2

Sinoparcel D1S Xenon Bulb -2 Years Warranty- 35W 8000K HID Headlight Replacement -Discharge Lamp -Pack of 2 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

The difference can bee seen as below from one to the other

Looking better on the left already

Have taken her out for an early evening spin with both lights replaced and very pleased with the greatly improved brightness and will fully test in pitch black tomorrow.
I know this topic has been discussed many times and I don't expect the bulbs to outlive myself but for the price and vast improvement for night driving, I am very pleased as it was getting to the stage whereby I was not sure if I had or not turned the original lights on whilst driving.
The only thing that I will test out after reading other recommendations is to remove the scatter plates inside the lenses but that will be for another weekends task.
I will continue to post if there are further issues and hope this may be of help to anyone with similar problems.
I have to ask how did you get the headlights so clean? They look like new ! I took my 07 to a local detail shop and they said they couldn't clean my headlights bc the haze was inside the headlights and not on the outside.. but looking at yours they look pretty much how mine look around the top. Not speaking about the projector lens, but the actual headlight in the top picture that appears to have haze and fine scratches.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:20 PM

Certainly will!

Old 02-11-2023, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

If the outer plastic lens is crazed inside you will need new units, if the clear coat is what is suffering, then you can polish off the coating and reshoot with a clear coat. But once its more than just microns inside the plastic, its not gonna yield results.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

I bought some HIKARI brand LED D1S bulbs, but I don't know if they were the ones I put in my XKR or into my sold F150. Them are/were some pretty good bulbs.

Brewtech (02-12-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 04:39 PM

Didn't realise that I posted this originally in the wrong thread!....

Ok. Well I bought the same LED headlights that Matt bought. Thanks for the recommendation.

Before, I couldn't tell if my headlights were actually on or not. But they've made a noticeable difference.

I don't think my internal lenses were misted up...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1676759263

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...ttach/jpeg.gif

But I decided to clean them anyway with the cotton pads I bought off Amazon.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1676759690

They were indeed too short:

so I just taped two together:

...and that did the trick.

I did use surgical alcohol on one swab and soaked up the excess alcohol on left on the lens with a dry swab and it seemed to do the trick, though I didn't notice much dirt on the swab tips after cleaning.

When I connected them back up, there was a much stronger beam. Not the 300%+ the manufacturer boasted, but significantly better. Apologies, I didn't take a before picture, as I didn't think I'd be doing that day, so didn't take a shot the night before. But here you go....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...attach/jpg.gif

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...attach/jpg.gif

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...attach/mov.gif

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0362.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0360.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0369.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0368.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0371.jpeg  

Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0373.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0376.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0378_2.jpg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0379.jpeg   Headlight Replacement Bulbs-img_0384_2.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0381.mov (6.74 MB, 3 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Juss:
Cee Jay (02-18-2023), kj07xk (02-19-2023), Superchargedxkr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

That looks great and I can tell that they’re bright. So did you buy LED? Or Xenon? Based off Matt’s first post he purchased Xenons, and not LEDs.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:44 AM

Doh! Apologies, I meant you Brewtech not Matt!

Old 02-19-2023, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Doh! Apologies, I meant you Brewtech not Matt!
excellent! The only advantages are a little bit more lighting, less heat, and they wont degrade in light output, they just simply burn out, and I prefer that over bulbs that will slowly degrade and underperform.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement Bulbs