XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

heat in foot tunnel without having the heat on

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default heat in foot tunnel without having the heat on

I did search the forum for this topic but did not find anything.

There is heat on my feet even when the heater is not on. The air conditioning is also not on. This is on a mild weather day (and probably any other kind of weather day). I don't think the fan blowing. If it is blowing it is very low. I have the fan off. It might be just engine heat but if it is I don't think it should be there. This is my 4th Jaguar (the first three were sedans) and none of the others had it. This is on the driver's side. I haven't tested to see if it is also happening on the passenger side.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, what do you call the tunnel space where your feet are in the interior?

Biff

Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Hi. I havent had that with a Jag but I did with a volvo. You didnt notice it at first but the longer you drove it the warmer it would get near your feet and shins especially if you rest/brace your leg against the centre tunnel, as I do (remember because we have RHD we can brace with our left leg which isnt used for anything in particular).

In that case it was that something was connecting to the metal skin on the side of the footwell and it was getting scorching hot under the carpet and insulation - so hot that you could burn yourself if you exposed the metal. Volvo initially thought it was that it was missing an inspection plate, but when they checked it it ended up being heat transfer from somthing else.

I'd drive the car for a while then feel the centre tunnel in the footwell and see if it is hot, then maybe peel the carpet back a bit and see how hot the metal is.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Could this simply be the transmission heating up and transferring through the flooring

Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Foot well heat was the bane of British sports cars in the 50s/60s. Before universal AC, enlighted mfgs often had foot well vents. Same issue exists today, but mfgs have dealt with it vis-a-vie insulation and heat shields. Your foot wells' temperature should be the materially the same. If your driver side is hotter, then check insulation (by comparison) and heat shielding from underneath the car. Your complaint is unusual, which indicates to me that it is not just a design flaw, but an component failure/loss.