XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Heated Steering Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel Question

How warm is my steering wheel supposed to get? My wife's 09 Cadillac SRX steering wheel gets warm within seconds and very warm in less than a minute. I tried the heated steering wheel on my 08 XK a few times and I can't tell if it's working or not.

Do I have problem?

Thanks

Tom

Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2007 XK and my wood trimmed wheel gets pretty toasty along with the seats. This is a stark contrast to the heated seats in my 1998 XJ8. I can't even tell if the heater is switched on or off. If you take the car to the dealer they will use their infra-red gun to tell you if it is heating to the proper temperature.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
I have a 2007 XK and my wood trimmed wheel gets pretty toasty along with the seats. This is a stark contrast to the heated seats in my 1998 XJ8. I can't even tell if the heater is switched on or off. If you take the car to the dealer they will use their infra-red gun to tell you if it is heating to the proper temperature.
Thanks for the info. I tried out the seat warmers this evening and they are very "weak" compared to any GM product I've owned. Guess I'll add them to my list and make another appointment with my dealer.

We are becoming very good friends sad to say.

Tom

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Tom, hang in there. Good thing you have the warranty!!! Hopefully you will forget where the dealer is located and enjoy your new ride.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Heaters...

The seat heaters and steering wheel heater get quite toasty in my 2008 XK. Sounds like you do need to talk to the dealer...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
The seat heaters and steering wheel heater get quite toasty in my 2008 XK. Sounds like you do need to talk to the dealer...
Then I have issues not only with the steering wheel but BOTH seats. I wonder what the problem could be and what the fix is???

As soon as the dealer calls to tell me some parts they had to order from my last visit are in I'll have to bring the car in for that work and I'll add this to my list.

Thanks

Tom

Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomServo
Then I have issues not only with the steering wheel but BOTH seats. I wonder what the problem could be and what the fix is???

As soon as the dealer calls to tell me some parts they had to order from my last visit are in I'll have to bring the car in for that work and I'll add this to my list.

Thanks

Tom
Tom,
I had this same exact issue w/ a porsche cayenne a couple yrs back...it ended up being a loose cable of some type. @ lease u have warranty, thatll sure help out but do us all a fave & keep us posted on what Jaguar tells you the issue is.

good luck!!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

any update from dealership TomServo?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by dag82
My dealer is over 40 miles away and I'm waiting for a new drivers door panel they ordered to arrive before I take another day from work to have that installed, I'll ask about the heated steering wheel and seats then.

I'm just lucky I bought a pre-owned Jag under warranty, I'd hate to have bought this car w/o a warranty.

Tom

Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by dag82
Jaguar USA had the car trailered to another Jaguar dealer in Peoria (about 180 miles from my house). Dealer claims it's working as adverised - heating to 77 degrees. I find that odd since body temp is 98 and the ambient air temp that day was around 77 degrees. They claim they used some heat sensing reader.

My warranty expires next month and they are the closest Jag dealer to my house. They had the car three says.

Is there a specific fuse I should look at?

Last edited by TomServo; 10-25-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom
For what it is worth i turned on the heated wheel and seats this morning in my 2008 XK conv driving one mile to train station (yup its my station car) in low 50 degree temp and both were very warm before I got half way there.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Does anyone know where the fuse is located? The Owner's Manual does not list a fuse or location for the heated steering wheel.

BTW I was able to get my heated seats to work by removing and reinstalling the fuse, wonder why two Jaguar dealers couldn't find and fix the problem?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, let me jump in here with some empirical info for you. I just went out into my garage to do this little experiment. When I started her up, the ambient temperature sensor readout was 55 degrees. I have a little IR Temperature gun I use for checking tire temperatures, water temps, that sort of thing. It read 51.8 to start. Turned the car on, turned off the climate control and turned on the steering wheel. The sides and bottom of the wheel seemed to heat first with the top of the wheel taking the longest. After about 5 minutes even the top had warmed. Temperatures ranged from low 80s at the top to 95 near the spokes. I'm assuming that's simply because that's where the power is connected to the heaters.

Hopefully this is helpful to you... it's definitely warm to the touch. I could stand it being warmer, but I suppose that's just me in the NorthWest talking. Regardless, it's very useful for those sunny 50 degree days with the top down. It gets a little nippy inside the car then.

Attached Thumbnails Heated Steering Wheel Question-img_0571.jpg   Heated Steering Wheel Question-img_0575.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Well, let me jump in here with some empirical info for you. I just went out into my garage to do this little experiment. When I started her up, the ambient temperature sensor readout was 55 degrees. I have a little IR Temperature gun I use for checking tire temperatures, water temps, that sort of thing. It read 51.8 to start. Turned the car on, turned off the climate control and turned on the steering wheel. The sides and bottom of the wheel seemed to heat first with the top of the wheel taking the longest. After about 5 minutes even the top had warmed. Temperatures ranged from low 80s at the top to 95 near the spokes. I'm assuming that's simply because that's where the power is connected to the heaters.

Hopefully this is helpful to you... it's definitely warm to the touch. I could stand it being warmer, but I suppose that's just me in the NorthWest talking. Regardless, it's very useful for those sunny 50 degree days with the top down. It gets a little nippy inside the car then.
I appreciate you taking the time to show this, the dealer in Peoria claimed they used a similar device and it read 77 degrees. They didn't say where, but I would presume Jaguar has identified a specific location to take this measurement. My local Cadillac dealer said they's run this test for me. If I get the chance I'll try and take similar photo's. In any event I'm printing your photo's (with your permission) to take with me.

Thanks again, this is most helpful.

Tom
USAF Retired

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Not a problem at all -- that's why I did the photos for you. In fact, if you take it to the Caddy dealer and they find it's not working, I think I'd just call Jag North America to explain the problem to them and get a ticket open. Seems to me that it needs some high visibility on it just to make sure someone competent deals with it as you're nowhere near a Jag dealer.

I'm quite fond of my local Caddy dealer. I was quite close to picking up a CTS-V wagon... but the convertible is what continued to distract me and Caddy has nothing in that arena right now.