XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Heck ya, another oil thread Would you use Kirkland Oil from Costco?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You've only got yourself to blame for that.

Graham
Indeed. oil threads always go south but no way to know one would lead to refrigerator warranty comparisons.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
gravitylover (01-21-2021), Scott in PA (12-22-2020), SinF (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I loves me a good oil thread.
10 quarts for $30 - So would you use it?

Only in my lawn mower. IMHO anyone who tries to shave a few pounds (dollars) on lubricant for such an engine as is in our Jaguars is in need of professional counselling.

The following 2 users liked this post by jima:
ralphwg (12-14-2019), Rick'sJag (12-14-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

What if you changed the oil every 3 months using this oil?
And dined 4 times on the $1.50 hot dog and fizzy drink.
So saving about $10 a meal.
Would it be worth it then?
Its 1/4 pound all beef hot dog.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
ExKayRick (12-22-2020), ralphwg (12-14-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

This thread has gone to the dogs.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
Only in my lawn mower. IMHO anyone who tries to shave a few pounds (dollars) on lubricant for such an engine as is in our Jaguars is in need of professional counselling.
There is nothing special about a Jaguar engine, its just an engine. (I have torn apart and built many engines therefore speak from a position of at least some actual knowledge).

The following 2 users liked this post by 09XFSuper:
Cee Jay (12-12-2019), ExKayRick (12-22-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

HIM ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
There is nothing special about a Jaguar engine, its just an engine. (I have torn apart and built many engines therefore speak from a position of at least some actual knowledge).
Then you should know better than most the risks associated with poor quality lubricants (and what leads you to believe that I haven't?).

Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

If the oil genuinely meets all of the required spec then it should be OK... but it is a heck of an "if", arguably.

There again, each owner gets to choose this kind of stuff.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
Then you should know better than most the risks associated with poor quality lubricants (and what leads you to believe that I haven't?).
It states the specs it meets, I hardly think GM Dexos is a poor quality spec in addition to the other published specs. GM Dexos spec has protected my 700+ HP LS7 and LSA for many years which includes track time.

Ultimately to each his own. But our cars are just cars, I have had the suspension out, nothing extraordinary. The V8 is just an overhead cam V8, nothing super exotic about it. The trans is just an off the shelf unit, nothing special, use fluid that meets the spec...etc etc etc.

While I love my Jaaaag and it looks super sexy and performs well and is comfortable and nice inside it is not anything exotic mechanically.

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 12-13-2019 at 08:01 AM.
ExKayRick (12-22-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Is GM Dexos the right spec? (I thought not.)

Old 12-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
... but no way to know one would lead to refrigerator warranty comparisons.
We can't have discussions about refrigerator warranties in here. Stop acting like a savage.

Sean W (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

It wasnt about warranties- it was an IQ test....

This oil is made by the same company that AmazonBasic oil and Wally World (Walmart) oil.
Which maybe alarming to some.
The point was that the same exact product even from a giant like LG at Costco, requires LG to double their assurance (and quality) when supplying Costco, its the Costco way.
That and the $1.50 hot dog and coke was more information than can be found on the oil label.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm loving this wacky thread.

Last edited by pk4144; 12-14-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would anyone even ask the question?? To save a few Bucks??
My answer is still a big NO!!!

Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rick'sJag
Why would anyone even ask the question?? To save a few Bucks??
Because sometimes there are hidden gems.
Like the least expensive oil on the market right now is so damn good that it received the official Jaguar approval retroactively.
$20 oil that can be left in the engine for a year according to JLR.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

My take, if one changes their oil often and relative to the severity the engine is exposed, minimum those oils not part of the main stream will suffice. I would ask anyone to run a "AutoZone" branded oil for 3 - 6 mos. Have it analyzed. Do the same with your first choice well known branded oil, given the same use and conditions and have it tested. What are the results? Probably not much to cause one to worry. I'm a three season driver, then change the oil. Then, for only fun runs, a few Cars 'n Coffee" shows and date nights.
To me, the worst killer of rotating internals is not getting the engine up to temps for an extended period.
A case in point, how many here has read the ADs, wherein, someone is offering a car for sale....
The Ad goes something like this.....
This XYZ car is over 10 years old, has only 15K miles and driven by my grandmother to church on Sundays. Wow, little use, driven by their grandma, what a deal at 50% less than another similar car with 4 times the mileage? Wrong! I would expect, there is huge "sludge" build-up in that engine and, most likely, the oil returns to the crank case beneath the valve covers are clogged.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
................... I would expect, there is huge "sludge" build-up in that engine and, most likely, the oil returns to the crank case beneath the valve covers are clogged.
Decades ago, my sister asked me to join her to look at a car she was interested in buying, so of course I agreed. The car (Dodge Dart Sport) looked great on the outside and inside. The chick selling it decided to start it up to show how easy it started before I had a chance to look at anything. The car started blowing out huge clouds of blue.
So of course I took off the oil filler cap and ran my finger around the inside, and it came out covered with black peanut-butter-chunky-style oily gunk. I asked the seller "When did you last change the oil?" She answered "Oh, I add oil all the time!" When I repeated the question, she looked at me all dumbfounded and said "You're supposed to CHANGE it???" No doubt the oil bypass at the filter had been bypassing for quite awhile.
Yeah, my sister didn't buy that Dart.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Decades ago, my sister asked me to join her to look at a car she was interested in buying, so of course I agreed. The car (Dodge Dart Sport) looked great on the outside and inside. The chick selling it decided to start it up to show how easy it started before I had a chance to look at anything. The car started blowing out huge clouds of blue.
So of course I took off the oil filler cap and ran my finger around the inside, and it came out covered with black peanut-butter-chunky-style oily gunk. I asked the seller "When did you last change the oil?" She answered "Oh, I add oil all the time!" When I repeated the question, she looked at me all dumbfounded and said "You're supposed to CHANGE it???" No doubt the oil bypass at the filter had been bypassing for quite awhile.
Yeah, my sister didn't buy that Dart.
Ha, Ha, Ha, Yep! I experienced an instance where a a sale was pending by the grandson of a "little 'ole lady Caddie was only driven to church" etc. Look over the receipts. Hmmm, there were more than usual, for repairs for valve cover leaks? Why/......because the oil return holes were partially and the oil had no place to go, but, through the gaskets.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Engine flushes clear out ports fairly well imo, even on cars driven by lil ole ladies. In the 70's, we used kerosene on diesel engines for a flush. Blew smoke like a son of B while running it, then a fresh change of oil and all was well. This was considered proper procedure/ policy when I was a bus mechanic in Denver. Today, I just use the engine flush before putting her to bed for the winter. I'm still amazed at how filthy the oil is with as little driving as I do.

I wonder what the reaction would be to a thread if Costco started branding Kirkland tires?

Last edited by Sean W; 12-20-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Well, just to add a data point, this topic has reminded me that I bought some Kirkland 'Signature' Professional Glossy Photo Paper distributed by Costco a couple of years ago and it seems I still have most of the 150 sheet box left. When I think back on it, what occurs to me is that although I thought I was getting a real bargain at the time what actually happened is that I soon realised that the performance of the paper was way, way below my expectations after reading the blurb and seriously below that of the recommended but more expensive paper. Now I've dug it out I think it will hit the trash tomorrow. Now, maybe their business model has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, maybe when it comes to lubricants they have a superstar buyer who only goes for the upper echelon of oils but maybe, just maybe, it is just very average cheap stuff marketed well to look like it is more than it actually is. There is no such thing as a free lunch, fill the sump of your P&J with low cost lube to save a few dollars if you will because after all, you are such a canny buyer but for my part, I'm happy to comply with the manufacturers recommendation. It is, after all, a relatively small part of the overall running costs.

Quick Reply: Heck ya, another oil thread Would you use Kirkland Oil from Costco?