XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Help! Navigational System Difficty. I Need Reprogramming to my Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help! Navigational System Difficty. I Need Reprogramming to my Home Base

Hi,
I Just Received my newly purchased 2008 XK Coupe, and am totally baffled RE: the Navigation system. It's an out of State purchase. The car was based in Calif, and seems to be locked into a Western / upper mid- West/ Southern SEACH AREA. There doesn't seem to be a way that I can reprogram my NJ/NJ Home Area starting point into the System.
The problem is that there are limited STATES offered on the "Search Area" Menue as a starting points; none of which are in the Northeast, let alone NY/NJ. All available starting seach options,conform to rhe limited Westren / mid-West/ South menu, stated earlier. Am I missing something?
When I try to enter my address, it doesn't allow, since the State isn't Programmable.
Is there a tutorial program that addresses my need?
Any old post's or net videos solving this issue, that I have somehow missed?

Right now, the navigation function is useless to me.
Any help offered would be very much appreciated.
(btw, I received no literature on the System, and I'm finding the downloaded Jag Owner's guide to be very limited re: Navigation programming. Seems to refer to a seperate instructional Manual... which I don't have )
As far as I can see, there seems to be zero info on buying used, and reprogramming to the new owner's Location Specs. Can this be right ? Others must've encountered tbe same difficulty. I must be .missing something embarrassingly obvious... I hope so.
Baffling,

​​

Old 09-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

The NAV system in your XK is a two disc system. One disc covers west of some point (I forget the cutoff point) and the other disc covers the Eastern part of the country. I believe the 2007-2009 XKs came with a separate Nav instruction guide. Check the stickies up at the top of the forum and see in one is available for download from there.
Lastly newer discs might be available from Navtec and definitely are available from Volvo for around $200 for the 2016-2017 version.

Welcome aboard and I hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Cee Jay (09-12-2020), MarkyUK (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 06:35 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

At one time North America was split East and West between two discs. I can't say for sure but this may be your trouble. Look around in the trunk and under the seats to see if you can find a second disc. The Navigation is a second manual, take a look at the stickies on the forum and see if there is one you can download.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Don't waste your time and money on the Eastern US disk, as the maps are ancient and often useless. Buy the most recent Volvo disk like I did, which is from 2014 and is newer than the Jaguar disk. The entire US is on one disk. See my Post #5 in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...d.php?t=203360

Note that the Volvo disk is now somewhat out of date, so you might want to use your smartphone for accurate navigation.

If you're sufficiently skilled, it's possible to update your factory infotainment system and add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...d.php?t=224693

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...d.php?t=194608

MarkyUK (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 11:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, good of you to jump in and share your experiences. Not the easy, common sense solution I was hoping for, but knowing what I'm up against will save me days of uselessly spinning my wheels in search of a nonexistent Systems answer.
​​​I'm very gratefuI for saving me that futility.
Now, I need only figure out my next move, based on the excellent advice offered. Many Thanks

MarkyUK (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 04:22 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrocket
Guys, good of you to jump in and share your experiences. Not the easy, common sense solution I was hoping for, but knowing what I'm up against will save me days of uselessly spinning my wheels in search of a nonexistent Systems answer.
​​​I'm very gratefuI for saving me that futility.
Now, I need only figure out my next move, based on the excellent advice offered. Many Thanks
I find Waze to be the perfect solution. I would have my phone plugged in for charging, hands-free calls, notifications of messages etc etc anyway, so running Waze (via the Android Auto app for added functionality) is no hardship for me.

Waze is just about the perfect satnav app IMO and beats every in-car system I have ever used, including the latest from Porsche on my wife's Cayman. It also has speed cameras (if you have those in the USA yet) and reports on hazards on the road ahead, police nearby and even potholes. And the maps are constantly updated so you eliminate this pointless idea that a map from 5 years ago is still useful in some way. It isn't.

Waze is a free download and free to use so there's nothing lost in giving it a try.

The following 4 users liked this post by barnsie:
MarkyUK (09-13-2020), NickS12 (09-19-2020), ralphwg (09-13-2020), Retrocket (10-05-2020)