XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I don't know guys, take a very close look at the tires and brakes... That looks like a little more than 6.3k easy executive miles to me. Look how the wear on the tires has rolled over to the sidewall just a little, and the brakes are filthy. If the car was cleaned you think someone would have cleaned the brakes off a little better than what you see.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

You guys get good deals. Cheapest R-S I can see in the UK today is a 2011 coupe with 30k miles for $87k.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
If it has never been titled, doesn't that mean it comes with a new car warranty?
Yes

And if so, that means it cannot be sold with a Select Edition warranty since those only apply to used Jaguars, correct?
Yes
I'm not sure I trust the salesman when he says it wasn't used for performance events. What proof does he have?
What proof do you ever have?

Lothar52 (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
I should clarify: when I say CPO, I mean warrantied as such (not just "eligible"). I mean, somebody's gonna have to pay for the extended warranty...

Rich
The car is being sold as Pre-Owned....the car was originally sold in California and serviced by Gaudin in Las Vegas, NV, then sold at auction to Chantilly Jaguar in VA with 6,471 miles.

Here's the CARFAX on the car.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2012 JAGUAR XKR S

Last edited by richzak; 01-06-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

The CPO warranty itself is around $2500 not including anything needed to bring it to spec such as tires,wiper blades, normal wear parts etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What proof do you ever have?
None, which is why I think it would be a little silly to take the salesman at his word, especially when he has everything to gain from saying such things!

It's a pretty color, but I agree with some of the others--the tires look like they have been put through the ringer a time or two at least. Any idea how to tell if these are the original tires? If it were to have been used at performance events, I'd be very surprised if the tires lasted 6000 miles!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

I posted about a week ago, or so, the 2012 XKR-S can be bought for $80,000 in excellent condition with low mileage. These cars are such a great deal--unbelievable. It was in the thread about what will your next car be, or something like that. If I never bought my 2013 XKR in July I would jump on cars like this. The Jaguar XK is a phenomenal machine. Used Jaguars are the best used car buys period. What a great deal. I've seen three 2012 XKR-Ss offered at around $80,000, or $79,900. A blue, red, and green convertible all the same price at around $80,000. This could be the same dealer and sold the other 2. I called about the green convertible about a month ago and just drooled, it sold within a week.

Of all the cars I own and have owned my current 2013 XKR is my favorite.

Last edited by DGL; 01-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I posted about a week ago, or so, the 2012 XKR-S can be bought for $80,000 in excellent condition with low mileage. These cars are such a great deal--unbelievable. It was in the thread about what will your next car be, or something like that. If I never bought my 2013 XKR in July I would jump on cars like this. The Jaguar XK is a phenomenal machine. Used Jaguars are the best used car buys period. What a great deal. I've seen three 2012 XKR-Ss offered at around $80,000, or $79,900. A blue, red, and green convertible all the same price at around $80,000. This could be the same dealer and sold the other 2. I called about the green convertible about a month ago and just drooled, it sold within a week.

Of all the cars I own and have owned my current 2013 XKR is my favorite.
The above post is why I started the thread after finding this car. I wouldn't speculate about tire wear, CPO's, salesmen etc. This dealer has a good reputation, and I am sure they will make good. Besides the car is under a full factory orginal Jaguar warranty and there is no additional costs for warranties to any purchaser.

It will be interesting to see what it sells for and how long it takes to move the car out. It's a buyers market during winter months, especially in Virginia.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

None, which is why I think it would be a little silly to take the salesman at his word, especially when he has everything to gain from saying such things!

It's a pretty color, but I agree with some of the others--the tires look like they have been put through the ringer a time or two at least. Any idea how to tell if these are the original tires? If it were to have been used at performance events, I'd be very surprised if the tires lasted 6000 miles!
The last 4 number digits following the DOT designation on the tire sidewall gives the manufacturing dates. First two for the month, last two for the year. So if the tires on the car are newer than the car...

Albert

Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
The above post is why I started the thread after finding this car. I wouldn't speculate about tire wear, CPO's, salesmen etc. This dealer has a good reputation, and I am sure they will make good. Besides the car is under a full factory orginal Jaguar warranty and there is no additional costs for warranties to any purchaser.

It will be interesting to see what it sells for and how long it takes to move the car out. It's a buyers market during winter months, especially in Virginia.

+1

Interesting indeed. The market will ultimately determine the price.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

I'm fearing it looked like this 3k miles ago... Its path seems a bit odd to me. I used to work for a Chrysler zone office 15 years ago and our cars that were used for display, employee cars, performance events etc followed a similar path. They would be delivered to a dealer, picked up untitled and used for the model year, the auctioned. Sounds to familiar and those brakes and tires are not 6k brakes and tires that have been cared for.

Although I believe there are deals out there in this range it expect it from a private seller not a car thats somehow traveled the country in 2 years of life and 6k miles.

I have a feeling it used to look like this:

Attached Thumbnails Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-wp_20131213_048.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys crack me up with the paranoia about the first 6k miles. If:

1) The car is build as well as be all know it is

2) It was over-engineered and designed to be driven ***** out on a track (those of us that have been to Jag Academy know first hand)

3) It has full warranty AND more with CPO

4) Has no paint work

5) When you buy it you will put your foot down in it too - and also brake hard occasionally - otherwise why buy an XKR

WHO CARES HOW THE 6 MILES WERE DRIVEN! LOL

MaximA (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
You guys crack me up with the paranoia about the first 6k miles. If:

1) The car is build as well as be all know it is

2) It was over-engineered and designed to be driven ***** out on a track (those of us that have been to Jag Academy know first hand)

3) It has full warranty AND more with CPO

4) Has no paint work

5) When you buy it you will put your foot down in it too - and also brake hard occasionally - otherwise why buy an XKR

WHO CARES HOW THE 6 MILES WERE DRIVEN! LOL
I personally would care.

Engines and mechanical parts have certain life times which much depends on the usage patterns. For example; when I raced cars, using 8000 RPM for redline for my race engine ensured way more than a season's worth (about 15 race weekends) of engine life. Going to 9000 RPM pretty much used up the engines in a dozen weekends. This, BTW was my general redline, unless pushed REALLY hard by the competition. So, going to 10,000 RPM and my engine would have to be rebuilt roughly every 3 races.

Also, going to 10,000 during the heavily fought qualification session for the West Coast Championship my engine blew sky high just as I turned-in the fastest lap, giving me the pole position, sending shrapnel through the hood and chassis and setting the car on fire. But, we fixed it overnight, new engine, new everything and won the Championship the next day.

So, yes, usage patterns do matter.

Albert

MaximA (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

I know the car can handle it after the jag academy, and that where that picture came from but for that kind of money (80k still is a lot when your looking for a race car ) I want to know the cars history. I also want to know it wasn't pounded to death and have no idea of the exact usage and maintenance. I drive my car harder then most but its babied and maintained very well. Those cars sure weren't, and dealer auction cars scare me unless its Barrett Jackson, RM etc...

Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
I personally would care.

Engines and mechanical parts have certain life times which much depends on the usage patterns. For example; when I raced cars, using 8000 RPM for redline for my race engine ensured way more than a season's worth (about 15 race weekends) of engine life. Going to 9000 RPM pretty much used up the engines in a dozen weekends. This, BTW was my general redline, unless pushed REALLY hard by the competition. So, going to 10,000 RPM and my engine would have to be rebuilt roughly every 3 races.

Also, going to 10,000 during the heavily fought qualification session for the West Coast Championship my engine blew sky high just as I turned-in the fastest lap, giving me the pole position, sending shrapnel through the hood and chassis and setting the car on fire. But, we fixed it overnight, new engine, new everything and won the Championship the next day.

So, yes, usage patterns do matter.

Albert
Very good point from both of you. The XKR can handle the hammering but I did did the hammering... So if it blows up I know why

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I have this exact same car bought new...worth every penny from a "car" standpoint (dont get me wrong)...cant imagine it minus 50k off the purchase price...look at the saving PLUS TAX SAVINGS....wow.... indeed however this is why I will never purchase another car like this new ever again!!!! :O I lost my a$$ once to have my VERY OWN ONE OF A KIND BRAND NEW 6 FIGURE CAR...never again!!

Loth

Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I have this exact same car bought new...worth every penny from a "car" standpoint (dont get me wrong)...cant imagine it minus 50k off the purchase price...look at the saving PLUS TAX SAVINGS....wow.... indeed however this is why I will never purchase another car like this new ever again!!!! :O I lost my a$$ once to have my VERY OWN ONE OF A KIND BRAND NEW 6 FIGURE CAR...never again!!

Loth
Indeed, amazing depreciation. I literally feel your pain...

Interestingly, I just looked up the used prices on the Corvette zr1. Both the Vette and the XKR-S were sticker priced roughly the same. Yet, the good old dime-a-dozen looks (don't mean to deride the zr1 performance at all) of the Vette seem to be attracting much higher resale prices.

I also looked up the Blue Book value for the XKR-S under this very listing and it shows nearly 110,000 for a car in excellent condition, sold by a dealer.

Not sure I understand this steep decline in XKR-S used values.

Albert

Lothar52 (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

There has been so much speculation on this XKR-S, it's unbelievable.

Just because a car was sold at auction has no bearing on the quality.

A quick call to Gaudin in Las Vegas, who is also one very reputable Jaguar dealer in the West and speaking to the tech rep providing the VIN, they can tell any buyer what the condition of the car was. They have the service records.

This is what I did when I bought my 2009 XKR PE Vert from Florida. I simply looked at the CarFax then called Allan at West Palm Beach Jaguar and he provided his opinion on the car.

I think it is premature to say this XKR-S was beaten to death on any race track, without knowing the facts.

This is America, innocent until proven guilty. If this was a rag top, I would put my 2009 XKR PE with only 14,800 miles up for sale and BUY this one immediately after completing my due diligence which any body buying an $80,000 - $83,000 car should do.

If your an east coast buyer, it is mostly likely reasonable to go to or fly to Virginia to inspect the car personally.

It will be interesting to see what happens, how long it will take to sell, and at what price. I am following this one just for my own curiosity.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I thin it's fair to say that, when you buy a secondhand car, you are taking a calculated risk on its history. No-one will be honest about whether a car has been thrashed; at least a dealer demonstrator will usually (though not always) be well-maintained. And I think that maintenance is a greater concern than how it's been driven. A hard driven but well-maintained car will probably be healthier than one that's only been used for local trips but been neglected.

It's quite hard to thrash an XKR - the control systems are designed to protect the car from stupidity, and you have to go out of your way to bypass them. So, I've driven mine at 184 mph and have taken it around the Nordschleife 8 times, but I don't think the car has suffered significantly. It never went over the redline, it didn't overheat, the brakes didn't get cooked. It's designed and built to do this stuff, after all.

Lothar52 (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I thin it's fair to say that, when you buy a secondhand car, you are taking a calculated risk on its history. No-one will be honest about whether a car has been thrashed; at least a dealer demonstrator will usually (though not always) be well-maintained...
So, as it's been posted up above, anyone truly interested in this car (or any remote purchases) do your due diligence inspection. Never hurts to be careful, particularly after you read a couple of reviews on this dealership:

Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover Chantilly Reviews - Chantilly, VA - Dealership Research - Car Dealer Ratings - cars.com

Albert

Quick Reply: Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000