XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I thin it's fair to say that, when you buy a secondhand car, you are taking a calculated risk on its history. No-one will be honest about whether a car has been thrashed; at least a dealer demonstrator will usually (though not always) be well-maintained. And I think that maintenance is a greater concern than how it's been driven. A hard driven but well-maintained car will probably be healthier than one that's only been used for local trips but been neglected.

It's quite hard to thrash an XKR - the control systems are designed to protect the car from stupidity, and you have to go out of your way to bypass them. So, I've driven mine at 184 mph and have taken it around the Nordschleife 8 times, but I don't think the car has suffered significantly. It never went over the redline, it didn't overheat, the brakes didn't get cooked. It's designed and built to do this stuff, after all.
I just want to say..... I love you bro!!

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
So, as it's been posted up above, anyone truly interested in this car (or any remote purchases) do your due diligence inspection. Never hurts to be careful, particularly after you read a couple of reviews on this dealership:

Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover Chantilly Reviews - Chantilly, VA - Dealership Research - Car Dealer Ratings - cars.com

Albert

Interesting reviews. Holy crap, with so many unsatisfied customers and complaint's of misrepresentation they may have a hard time selling to an astute buyer. With such a poor reputation one would need to thoroughly inspect any car they buy from this dealer. Sadly, you can't even trust a licensed Jaguar Dealer today.

Last edited by DGL; 01-07-2014 at 08:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
MaximA (01-08-2014), R_Rated (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

There are a couple of these XKR-S's that have been on ebay for at least a couple of months. The prices have dropped to the low $80's from there original asking price of low $90's on the same couple of cars. They seem like incredible bargains, but I don't understand why they haven't sold.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe the author of one of the negative reviews, the painted car review, posts in the XF forum and created a thread with his experiences.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
There are a couple of these XKR-S's that have been on ebay for at least a couple of months. The prices have dropped to the low $80's from there original asking price of low $90's on the same couple of cars. They seem like incredible bargains, but I don't understand why they haven't sold.
Here is an other bargain XKR-S.

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jaguar XK R-S Coupe in ORLANDO, FL 32804: Coupe Details - 361790778 - AutoTrader.com

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 01-08-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

All I know is, I will be an XKR-S potential buyer in 2-3 years... So, if you have a blue or white one and plan to move on in that time frame, give me a ring!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

One perspective... from a consumer/business perspective. Even among car enthusiast - few know what a car the XKR's are; let alone an RS or GT. If you go to any cars and coffee and ask if someone would spent 100K and could have an Aston Martin or Jag you'd be hard pressed to find someone to pick the Jag. When these cars are new, they are priced in a range with a lot of other popular choices. In the used market they become a hell of a bargain since they lose value in much more severe manner than their colleagues in the same new price point. In other words the cars in the same bracket as an new jag are not the same as the ones as a used Jag. It's almost like a case of lost identity! Coming from a Vantage I will tell you the Jag's interior although nice is not up to par with Aston. Even the 4.2 R is a better performer than a V8 Vantage. The 5.0L is a V12 Aston killer. Looks are subjective but the best kept secret is the build and ease of maintaining a Jag vs figure about $10K per 10K miles on the Aston. THIS is why fancy cars keep such low mileage!

80K is a great buy for the XKRS but it is a cult following and most people don't know what it is. There are a lot of cars you can buy for 80K on the used market. I'm not saying there are any better. I am petitioning that there are a lot of choices though. We love Jags but they're lack of popularity rarely warrants these prices and perhaps is also what I hypothesize makes Jag build a better car for the money just to compete in this price segment. The F-Type hype helped the brand awareness and even though I'm not in love with that car - I appreciate what it has done for the brand.

The following 4 users liked this post by R_Rated:
DGL (01-08-2014), MaximA (01-08-2014), mickyboy (01-09-2014), richzak (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I guess concern about depreciation & residual value is inversely proportional to the length of time you intend to keep the car. I'm not really worried about it, because I keep my cars for 10 years. If you want to churn every 3 years, I guess you have a different perspective.

However, it's worth pointing out that, while you may get less for the car when you sell it (compared to, say, an Aston), you also paid proportionally less for it in the first place if you bought secondhand. Depreciation cuts both ways. I did look at Astons when I was planning my purchase, but I would have had to pay a lot more to get a car of the same age, or buy one that was 4 years or so older. And, as R_Rated says, the running costs are substantially higher for Astons and other small-volume exotics.

Simply put, the Jag was the most bang I could get for my buck (based on performance, handling, looks, comfort, features and running costs). It's why I bought my first one back in 1989, and I found it's still the case now.

DGL (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 AM

I guess concern about depreciation & residual value is inversely proportional to the length of time you intend to keep the car. I'm not really worried about it, because I keep my cars for 10 years. If you want to churn every 3 years, I guess you have a different perspective.

However, it's worth pointing out that, while you may get less for the car when you sell it (compared to, say, an Aston), you also paid proportionally less for it in the first place if you bought secondhand. Depreciation cuts both ways. I did look at Astons when I was planning my purchase, but I would have had to pay a lot more to get a car of the same age, or buy one that was 4 years or so older. And, as R_Rated says, the running costs are substantially higher for Astons and other small-volume exotics.

Simply put, the Jag was the most bang I could get for my buck (based on performance, handling, looks, comfort, features and running costs). It's why I bought my first one back in 1989, and I found it's still the case now.
I feel strongly that there are very few cars worth buying that are exciting and make financial "sense." You have to look at the money spent as the cost of entertainment. You can pick up a 2000ish XKR for 10K and its still a great looking and powerful car. If you want to enjoy a new one then you're going to need to come up with the funds to play with the latest. In 10 years our cars are going to be worth nothing. Accept this and you'll enjoy it more. You're paying for it - don't hesitate to put miles on it. If you want one to look at then you've got money to buy 2 - one to drive and one to park... but if you can't drive it then why bother?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Bottom Line

The bottom line is we are a rear breed. An exceptional breed that see the value and enjoyment in our Jaguars. Some people can't see a good deal or the value in a Jaguar if their life depended on it--they follow the masses. The Jaguar XK, IMO, is the best performance car deal available. Of all the cars I currently own, and have owned, my current 2013 XKR is my favorite--it has it all.

It goes like this: If you see a line of people waiting to buy something everyone wants in on the line because they think it is a good deal and they don't want to be left out. If the guy next door is offering a better deal and a better item but no one is in line, no one wants his product because they see no interest and assume it is not a good deal. Jaguar sales are still impeded by their ghosts of the past; however, this is changing, slowly, and Jaguar is doing a good job with there recent marketing of the F-type and XF. At the same time, as we observe, used Jaguar's are the best car buy on the market today, because no one is in line to buy them, the cars are exceptionally built, no other car compares in aesthetics, low maintenance at this performance level. This makes us unique and adds more enjoyment to ownership, IMO.
It is, obvious, as we drive our fine machines by the looks and attention people give us, we have a unique and aesthetically pleasing car. We are the brave hearts that see beyond the masses.

Last edited by DGL; 01-08-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm stunned that a rarer and better car is getting pounded on pricing.. They are roughly only a little more than a similar XKR. Look at these two low mileage(under 10k) cars. I'm stunned that the XKR-S is only 1k more. I would have bought the XKR-S new if it wasn't 30k more than my car for a tune, exhaust and some suspension parts I was going to replace anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-capture.png   Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-cap2.png  

Last edited by MaximA; 01-08-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jaguar is traditionally a car that is supposed to be driven into the ground, however many years (or decades) that takes to happen. It's the only way a new car purchase makes "financial sense". If you buy them when they bottom out, then it's just owning them for maintenance costs; but that's a 15+ year old car...

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I really like the looks of this one, although no interior pics are supplied (?)

On paper, with private ownership, I just get a better vibe. A great price, if it holds up to scrutiny in person. And it also includes an installed 9500ci radar/laser system, very nice...

Rich

Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I just love that blue!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaximA
I'm stunned that a rarer and better car is getting pounded on pricing.. They are roughly only a little more than a similar XKR. Look at these two low mileage(under 10k) cars. I'm stunned that the XKR-S is only 1k more. I would have bought the XKR-S new if it wasn't 30k more than my car for a tune, exhaust and some suspension parts I was going to replace anyway.

You'd have to be crazy to not get an RS if you were looking at R's in that price range!

I bought used but by the time spring rolls around I'll have a better looking, faster and better handling car than an RS. Also, I think it's your nature; like mine, [Maxima] to tinker. Now if I could figure out how to not have to pay for a wedding I would be able to do what I want to the car haha.

MaximA (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Axr6, of course the treatment of a mechanical device matters. But as others have stated there is no way to really know how ANY previous owner really treated the car. Furthermore the real point I was making had to do with having a 6 year warranty. If some were awry it would likely rear its head before warranty were up. In fact, the beating may help it fail sooner thereby getting it covered. Also, VERY few people keep their car that long anyhow.

So this means you are guaranteed a working an fun ride the entire time you own it for thousands less in the form of these great deals. It makes far more financial sense to save $20k-$30k on one of these bargain cars than to spend so much more $ for an insurance policy that would never be used!

On a different note, I think I have some idea why the XKR-S is taking such a beating despite its very rare volumes. Most Jag owners are conservative. The ones that opt for an R are rare. The ones that will actually mod an R are even more rare. The ones that would pay a $30k premium over an R for performance mods is about as rare a three boobied supermodel.

That is until more people recognize Jag is the real deal. That is a reason Vette ZR1 and other performance marques hold value better. Even thought Jag has history and pedigree it just doesn't have recognition in the uber high performance enthusiasts realm. Will probably take 5-10 years of huge performance cars from Jag to replace this if at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm also surprised at the amount of depreciation the RS has experienced. Most of us who bought these cars new in late 2011 or early 2012 have over $140k in the car when you include tax, title, etc. I thought with the limited production, great reviews, and the improvement with the jag brand, there would be much less depreciation. In fact, when I started looking at this car in fall 2011, dealers were asking as much as $50k over sticker!
I think the depreciation curve will start to flatten out soon as the price of these approach the xkR. In addition, the prices of all cars in certain regions, such as So Cal are $3-5k higher than other areas of the country. My guess is that a 5 yr old Xkr-s with original owner, good shape, etc will go for around $50k, which would put the price of ownership around $1500/mo, which is not terrible. For example, a lease on a well equipped Porsche 991 Carrera S runs around $2k/mo and would much rather have a RS (and I'm a Porsche guy)!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You'd have to be crazy to not get an RS if you were looking at R's in that price range!

I bought used but by the time spring rolls around I'll have a better looking, faster and better handling car than an RS. Also, I think it's your nature; like mine, [Maxima] to tinker. Now if I could figure out how to not have to pay for a wedding I would be able to do what I want to the car haha.
If I was looking used I would by an RS, the difference is only a few thousand.. I find that absolutely crazy.

You're right I love modifying and making cars "mine", and I've driven a few RSs lately and mine is just much more brutal and its exactly what I wanted. Now if those damn Coilovers would just hurry up and get here Plus I love the fact that I've learned a lot about a car and brand I never even considered in the past.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default How low will they go...

How low will they go...

$75,000... 2010 Nissan GT-R
$70,000... 2013 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG
$65,000... 2012 BMW 650i
$60,000... 2010 Audi S5
$1 Sold Jaguar 2012 XKR-S, 6,000 miles, excellent condition, 1 owner, pick your color... (WTF)

Last edited by DGL; 01-08-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Now if I could figure out how to not have to pay for a wedding I would be able to do what I want to the car haha.
Your own wedding, or your daughter's?

Quick Reply: Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000