XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I gathered that again "in my mind" from the carfax information and that the car was never titled. During negotiations the sales person did his best to defuse my concerns/claims that it was used for these events and driven hard. I also pushed hard on the price in terms of it not being a "trade-in" but bought at auction which he also at first denied until I pulled out the carfax information and he then went on to explain that this was a Jaguar auction just for Jaguar dealers. Whatever. The car looked good in person, used - yes, small nicks (size of a pin head) on the painted rims, no rash. Nothing a dot with a black marker won't take care of until I cause my own first rash and have to refinish the rim anyway. Nothing major I could see or feel on the paint.
I am fully prepared to still discover "things" that I might have to replace such as the steering wheel (which I plan to replace with the suede steering anyway) which has the decal dented inwards/concave, you can see that some what on these pictures:

I will keep the original steering as a spare for when the suede wears off on the new one. Maybe I find a way to replace the decal. Other than that I was able to negogiate a price I was comfortobal with, especially in regards to a very rare car - I expect not to see another one on the road except for maybe at a car meet.

So short answer the dealer did not confirm that this car was used for any of these events and as I said in my first post I do not get the warm and fuzzy feeling from the dealer. However the car is stunning, drives very comfortably and only lacks in the area of the exhaust.

After watching video after video I expected to hear more. I guess they drove the car above 5,000rpm to get the exhaust to howl. I thought the dynamic exhaust would open the valves when dynamic mode was engaged but it seems to be rpm or speed regulated as the exhaust note does not chnage at all when the car idles and you turn on dynamic mode. In my Porsches when you turned on the sport exhaust you could hear the valve open there and then and the exhaust note changed. I need a little bit more from this cat whitout having to drive like a banshee at all times. I have the Mina exhaust on the XF and like it a lot. Chris said it would sound more "European" more like an Aston ... I hope he is right ...

Attached Thumbnails Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-%24-kgrhqr-lqfh327fv1qbr-k6kmtbq%7E%7E_4.jpg   Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-%24t2ec16jhjgeffm088j-vbr-k6ndflw%7E%7E_4.jpg  

Last edited by Schwabe; 01-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
axr6 (01-16-2014), Muddydog (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Man, somebody must've been honking really hard to do that!

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

... or kissed the steering wheel with the forehead ....

Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Congrats on the XKR-S. Feel free to check in here if you haven't yet...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...egistry-97446/

Also, I'm pretty sure on my car when I turn on dynamic mode the exhaust immediately becomes slightly louder at idle in my garage. I'll double check later.

Look into the clear reflectors if you want to clean up the front. There is a thread here about that too.

Schwabe (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Another 2012 XKR-S listed for sale........$79,500

2012 Jaguar XK-Series XKR-S Coupe For Sale - CarGurus

CarFax on above 2012 Jaguar XKR-S

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2012 JAGUAR XKR S

Dealer location and info:

2012 Jaguar XK XKR-S | Orlando, FL | Ultimate Auto

VIN SAJWA4HA5CMB46889
Vehicle Accidents/Service
Year 2012 Engine Type 5.0L V8 DOHC 32V SUPERCHARGED
Make Jaguar Driveline RWD
Model XK-Series Ground Clearance 3.90 in.
Trim Level XKR-S Coupe Front Brake Type Disc
Manufactured In UNITED KINGDOM Rear Brake Type Disc
Body Style COUPE 2-DR Anti-Brake System 4-Wheel ABS
Transmission 6-Speed Automatic
Standard Seating 4
MPG Hwy 22 miles/gallon Optional Seating
MPG City 15 miles/gallon Tires 255/35R20
Wheelbase 108.30 in.
Dealer Invoice $121,349 USD
MSRP $132,000 USD

Let's see how long it takes for this baby to sell.

I'm not a big fan of blue cars and this is really a blue car. Of course it is always subjective.

Last edited by bocatrip; 01-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

...the exhaust note does not chnage at all when the car idles and you turn on dynamic mode.
That's because the valves are already open at idle in normal operation; they close at 1100 RPM and don't reopen until about 3750. However, if you're in manual-shift mode or have Dynamic Mode on, they stay open throughout the rev range.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Schwabe:

Thanks for posting here. There was allot of speculation on this XKR-S as you can see from these posts.

Sounds like you completed your due diligence on the XKR-S and had an open mind when dealing with Rosenthal Chantilly Jaguar. Car dealers are car dealers and salesmen are just salesmen

Did you first see it on eBay or some other internet site?

Sounds like your made a great deal, and you walked out knowing what you were up against in buying the car.

As long as you got the deal that you were happy with, and you like the car, that is all that matters. For a car that originally sold at $132,000+ and sold for close to $80,000, you got a great deal.

In addition the car remains under the Jag warranty.

Good job. It was a beautiful car when I first saw it.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I first found the car early November through Jaguarusa's used inventory search. It started around $95k, came down all the way to $79k, was sold, financing failed through and then was relisted at $83k.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

You'll have to come to Cars & Coffee in Great Falls on Saturday mornings sometime. I'd love to see your XKR-S!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I gathered that again "in my mind" from the carfax information and that the car was never titled. During negotiations the sales person did his best to defuse my concerns/claims that it was used for these events and driven hard. I also pushed hard on the price in terms of it not being a "trade-in" but bought at auction which he also at first denied until I pulled out the carfax information and he then went on to explain that this was a Jaguar auction just for Jaguar dealers. Whatever. The car looked good in person, used - yes, small nicks (size of a pin head) on the painted rims, no rash. Nothing a dot with a black marker won't take care of until I cause my own first rash and have to refinish the rim anyway. Nothing major I could see or feel on the paint.
I am fully prepared to still discover "things" that I might have to replace such as the steering wheel (which I plan to replace with the suede steering anyway) which has the decal dented inwards/concave, you can see that some what on these pictures:

I will keep the original steering as a spare for when the suede wears off on the new one. Maybe I find a way to replace the decal. Other than that I was able to negogiate a price I was comfortobal with, especially in regards to a very rare car - I expect not to see another one on the road except for maybe at a car meet.

So short answer the dealer did not confirm that this car was used for any of these events and as I said in my first post I do not get the warm and fuzzy feeling from the dealer. However the car is stunning, drives very comfortably and only lacks in the area of the exhaust.

After watching video after video I expected to hear more. I guess they drove the car above 5,000rpm to get the exhaust to howl. I thought the dynamic exhaust would open the valves when dynamic mode was engaged but it seems to be rpm or speed regulated as the exhaust note does not chnage at all when the car idles and you turn on dynamic mode. In my Porsches when you turned on the sport exhaust you could hear the valve open there and then and the exhaust note changed. I need a little bit more from this cat whitout having to drive like a banshee at all times. I have the Mina exhaust on the XF and like it a lot. Chris said it would sound more "European" more like an Aston ... I hope he is right ...

With regards to your exhaust... You need to pull fuse 10 behind the rear seat center section. That will keep the valves open but not be obnoxious. Many of us have done this and have had no problems.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I thought it was 19 which I had pulled but again did not hear a difference while standing with open window and revving the engine. Also in my manual they have the front foot well and rear passenger fuse box mixed up. It took me a while to figure this out by comparing the amps on the fuses, and which slot had a fuse compared to the drawings in the manual. Silly thing.

Getting tinted today and tomorrow I will schedule an appointment to get the exhaust installed and to order the suede steeringwheel:

another oddity I found is that the rear defogger always comes on by itself when I start the car. After you turn it off it stays off until you start the car again.... another thingy to figure out

Last edited by Schwabe; 01-17-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Are you using the stock Jag Suede wheel? Do you mind me asking how much they charged?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I thought it was 19 which I had pulled but again did not hear a difference while standing with open window and revving the engine. Also in my manual they have the front foot well and rear passenger fuse box mixed up. It took me a while to figure this out by comparing the amps on the fuses, and which slot had a fuse compared to the drawings in the manual. Silly thing.

Getting tinted today and tomorrow I will schedule an appointment to get the exhaust installed and to order the suede steeringwheel:

another oddity I found is that the rear defogger always comes on by itself when I start the car. After you turn it off it stays off until you start the car again.... another thingy to figure out
The defogger is somewhat automatic in the car. I don't know exactly how it works, but if it detects certain parameters it will turn on automatically.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
Are you using the stock Jag Suede wheel? Do you mind me asking how much they charged?
yes the stock Jaguar suede wheel. I will let you know this weekend what Jag charges "aftermarket", it is a $900 option over the stock wheel when ordered. So if it is in the $1,500 range I will get it. I paid that for most of my Porsche "Alcantara" wheels and do not expect to pay over $2,000 for this one.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The defogger is somewhat automatic in the car. I don't know exactly how it works, but if it detects certain parameters it will turn on automatically.
Interesting, I have never noticed that on my XF SC but that has been mostly in the garage in this kind of weather. It seems to be way less planted than the XKR-S despite the same tire size. And of course the new toy is being taken out right now every chance I get. This morning it was again just 32 degrees and it is filthy from the almost 2 hour drive home in fog and pouring rain when we bought it so I have no probelm getting it even more "dirty" .... too cold to hand wash right now.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
From the workshop manual:

Windshield Heater
There are 2 variants of automatic operation; automatic operation at the start of a journey and automatic operation during a journey.
Automatic operation at the start of a journey is initiated if the ambient air temperature is below 5 °C (41 °F) at the start of a journey. In this instance, the ATC module will automatically power the windshield heater elements and illuminate the switch LED for 6.5 minutes. The windshield heater can be switched off during this period by pressing the control switch or stopping the engine.
Automatic operation during a journey is initiated when low ambient air temperatures are experienced and the vehicle has been travelling for a set period of time above a threshold speed. In this instance, no feedback is given to the driver to inform him the windshield heater is operational (the switch LED is not illuminated) and the duration of operation is variable depending upon the ambient air temperature, vehicle speed and the amount of time the vehicle has been travelling.

Rear Window Heater
There are 2 variants of automatic operation; automatic operation at the start of a journey and automatic operation during a journey.
Automatic operation at the start of a journey is initiated if the ambient air temperature is below 5 °C (41 °F) at the start of a journey. In this instance, the ATC module will automatically power the rear window heater element and illuminate the switch LED for 21 minutes. The rear window heater can be switched off during this period by pressing the control switch or stopping the engine.
Automatic operation during a journey is initiated when low ambient air temperatures are experienced and the vehicle has been travelling for a set period of time above a threshold speed. In this instance, no feedback is given to the driver to inform him the rear window heater is operational (the switch LED is not illuminated) and the duration of operation is variable depending upon the ambient air temperature, vehicle speed and the amount of time the vehicle has been travelling.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
Executive (01-17-2014), Schwabe (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Look into the clear reflectors if you want to clean up the front. There is a thread here about that too.
I have done that on all my Porsches but they were also all either silver grey or white. I saw the French racing blue XKR-S with the clear sidemarkers and really liked it and thought this is something I need. But the longer I look at it in the Italian Racing Red it seems to blend better in amber rather than clear. I am not sure, I have to ponder on that. My point is blending the side marker in and not to make them more visible. the amber ones on the red are almost "invisible"

I ordered the red hub centers from Jaguar to replace the black ones but I have to see how that turns out or if that is too "douchey" for me in person. I am not sure but they seem to be standard on the 2014 models ...

Attached Thumbnails Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-capture13.jpg   Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-xkr-s_1-l.jpg   Here's your 2012 XKR-S for ,000-2013-jaguar-xkr-red.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I have done that on all my Porsches but they were also all either silver grey or white. I saw the French racing blue XKR-S with the clear sidemarkers and really liked it and thought this is something I need. But the longer I look at it in the Italian Racing Red it seems to blend better in amber rather than clear. I am not sure, I have to ponder on that. My point is blending the side marker in and not to make them more visible. the amber ones on the red are almost "invisible"

I ordered the red hub centers from Jaguar to replace the black ones but I have to see how that turns out or if that is too "douchey" for me in person. I am not sure but they seem to be standard on the 2014 models ...
Stop posting pictures of that car, OK???

While we were discussing the merits of this car (I know the picture is not the exact same) on this forum I was so very tempted to drop the hammer and go for it... only a minor variable, called "sanity", kept me from rushing down and buying it. At this time I need an other car, like I need a kick at my behind. Was hoping that someone would take this car, buy it, so the temptation would be gone. Now, here you are flaunting it in my face again...

Gorgeous beast, darn it...

Albert

Schwabe (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Smart buy, Schwabe. Congratulations.

Schwabe (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The I like colored side markers and never got the desire to really change them. My priority is to keep the car running, not spending money on purely visual changes.

Quick Reply: Here's your 2012 XKR-S for $80,000