XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hidden Key . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hidden Key . . .

Looking to hide a key on PURRRLL in the event I lose my primary key when I'm out and about. Always had an extra key on all of my vehicles cause one never knows what happens.

My solution, after a great deal of thought, is that it must be a DEAD key, i.e. no battery as that would make the vehicle "live" all the time but include the oldtime key to get you in the car and then use the DEAD key by inserting it into the slot.

My question is will this allow one to enter and start the car without providing easy access to anyone else.

Secondarily, what has everyone done to have a "hidden" key on the vehicle to allow access and starting in the event of a normal key loss. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,348 Posts

It's not something I had previously thought about, but I like the 'dead' key idea. But I'd probably hide it somewhere inside the car (under the hump between the rear seats, behind the pull out rear cushion with the fuse panel, etc.), and then carry the small cut-key in my wallet (where I currently carry the wallet-key for my Lexus).

Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I carry the cut key in my wallet as a spare key. Why? You can get in and start the car with it. Simple. Ordered a blank off of flea bay for around $12-$15 and had it cut at a locksmith for around $50.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I carry the cut key in my wallet as a spare key. Why? You can get in and start the car with it. Simple. Ordered a blank off of flea bay for around $12-$15 and had it cut at a locksmith for around $50.
How do you start the car with the cut-key?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Default KJ like that idea . . .

Originally Posted by kj07xk
It's not something I had previously thought about, but I like the 'dead' key idea. But I'd probably hide it somewhere inside the car (under the hump between the rear seats, behind the pull out rear cushion with the fuse panel, etc.), and then carry the small cut-key in my wallet (where I currently carry the wallet-key for my Lexus).
KJ, I like that idea of leaving the dead key inside the car in a discrete place which would protect it from the elements and, therefore, make it more useable as outside "hidden" keys can be ravaged by the outside environment. Also, many looking to steal your car, unless professional, would not know what to do with it if they found it.

Store the cut-key in a magnetic box outside to allow access and then use the "Dead" key once access is provided to start the car. Looks like a plan so far.

P.S.
I, too, thought the "cut" key only allowed access to inside the vehicle. Does it start the car as well? Something new to me.

Last edited by XJR100orXKR100; 06-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR100orXKR100
Store the cut-key in a magnetic box outside
The problem will be trying to find a magnetic surface to attach to, lots of aluminum here.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Default True . . .

The problem will be trying to find a magnetic surface to attach to, lots of aluminum here.
True, but there's got to be something I can attach to whether magnetic or otherwise.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

True, but there's got to be something I can attach to whether magnetic or otherwise.
Agreed.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I carry the cut key in my wallet as a spare key. Why? You can get in and start the car with it. Simple.
I tried this numerous times and now my Engine Start button is all scratched up. Never did work.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (06-10-2015), j.w.s (06-03-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Under the rear of the car there is a "tie down" bracket in front (rear of car) of the muffler. It is made out of steel so a magnetic box or key holder will stick to it. Also if you are a little creative you can make a box that could slide into this area.

XJR100orXKR100 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

I have the cut key taped somewhere under the car. The remote start key is hidden in the hatch area with the battery in yet another hiding spot. Pop the hatch assemble the key. All while the alarm goes off BTW.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I have the cut key taped somewhere under the car. The remote start key is hidden in the hatch area with the battery in yet another hiding spot. Pop the hatch assemble the key. All while the alarm goes off BTW.
If you quickly put the key without the battery into the slot, does the alarm go off before you start the car. Have you tried to start the car without the battery installed but with the key in the slot? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

I just reread the owners manual regarding starting the car in an emergency situation (with a dead remote battery for instance). You need to do the following:

Irregular operation
If difficulty is experienced with remote keyless
entry, keyless entry, keyless starting or Jaguar
Smart Key operation, it may be caused by:
• Internal battery low voltage. Replace the
battery. See 18, CHANGING THE REMOTE
CONTROL BATTERY.
• High levels of localised external electrical
interference, e.g. a radio transmitter.
Until the Jaguar Smart Key battery can be
replaced, or until the vehicle is outside the area
of electrical interference, the Jaguar Smart Key
should be inserted into the starter control unit.
See 15, DOCKING/UNDOCKING THE JAGUAR
SMART KEY.

DOCKING/UNDOCKING THE JAGUAR
SMART KEY
Docking the Jaguar Smart Key
During normal operation, it is not necessary to
dock the Jaguar Smart Key. However, if the
unlock button on the Smart Key fails to operate
and the vehicle has been unlocked using the
emergency key blade, it will be necessary to
dock the Jaguar Smart Key, to deactivate and
disarm the alarm system.
1. Lift the lid of the center console stowage
compartment.
2. Slide open the cover of the starter control
unit.
3. Insert the Jaguar Smart Key into the recess
with the emergency key release button
facing forward.
Note: This is not a Jaguar Smart Key internal
battery recharging procedure. The battery is
non-rechargeable.

Undocking the Jaguar Smart Key
Ensure the engine is switched off before
undocking the Jaguar Smart Key, otherwise
damage to the Smart Key may occur.
To remove the Jaguar Smart Key from the
starter control unit:
1. Ensure that the vehicle is at rest with the
gear selector in the P position and the
engine not running.
2. Carefully depress the Jaguar Smart Key
and release. The key will eject into its rest
position.
3. Remove the Jaguar Smart Key from the
starter control unit.
Message center information displays
JAG1351
Message Meaning
SMART KEY
NOT FOUND,
PLEASE INSERT
IN SLOT
The Jaguar Smart Key has
not been detected, insert
into the starter control
unit.
CHECK SMART
KEY
Check that the Jaguar
Smart Key is in the
vehicle.
WRONG SMART
KEY FOUND
The Jaguar Smart Key
detected by the in-vehicle
systems is not the one
belonging to the vehicle.
REMOVE
SMART KEY
Remove the Jaguar Smart
Key from the starter
control unit

The above information is copied directly from pp 12-15 in the owner's manual. I f you have the manual and want to see the accompanying illustrations you can find them there.

By the way; a pdf of the owners manual can be downloaded from either the Jaguar USA site or from this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
GrtShrk (06-08-2015), kj07xk (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Started looking today to pick up an extra fob, to use as a 'dead' key, hidden somewhere in the care, while I carry a cut-key in my wallet.
Discovered that as the owner of an '07 XK, I need to be careful about the fob I purchase, as there were 2 models that switched with VIN B12814.
C2P17152 for earlier cars, and C2P17155 for later cars (the owner of B12814 will have to be extra careful ).
Since I have an earlier VIN, I have to narrow my search to the C2P17152 model, provided the seller knows what they have, and I need to make sure it has been unpaired from the car it was used with... otherwise bite the bullet and buy a new one for ~$150 from a parts seller. And then pay to get it, plus my originals, reprogrammed...

guy (01-08-2020)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Started looking today to pick up an extra fob, to use as a 'dead' key, hidden somewhere in the care, while I carry a cut-key in my wallet. . . . and I need to make sure it has been unpaired from the car it was used with... otherwise bite the bullet and buy a new one for ~$150 from a parts seller. And then pay to get it, plus my originals, reprogrammed...
My experience with fobs from other cars is that they do not work properly, even after being programmed to match your car. Once another car's fob has been matched to your car it may not work in the slot, though it may still work as a wireless device. When I purchased PURRLL, the selling dealer gave me two keys but I later found out that one was rejected by the slot. My current dealer tried to get it to work and he could only get it to work wirelessly. He said it's pretty standard practice that some dealers will reprogram used fobs if they only have one fob to sell with a car and once a fob has been "burned", it never can be fully changed to another car. In the end he provided a complete new set of keys under the CPO warranty and each key works properly. Took three (3) separate trips and four (4) days in the shop to get everything worked out.

I guess if the used fob works wirelessly, once you gain access with the cut key to the vehicle, you could install a battery and then it would start your car. New fobs are outrageously overpriced, but it may be the best overall solution vs getting a used one and finding out it doesn't work properly because it can't be programmed to your car.

ralphwg (06-06-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Default Hidden Key problem solved . . .

Thanks to everyone for their help. I now have an extra key set on the vehicle to allow entry and to be able start PURRRLL in the event of a lost key fob.

The solution was to put the cut key in a magnetic box affixed to the steel plate (thanks jagtoes) at the rear of the car. Utilizing the cut key I can gain entry to the trunk where the "dead" key fob is located in a very secure spot. The styrofoam block holding the spare tire has a handy spot to safely hold the key fob. The "dead" key fob inserted into the slot will start the car and silence the alarm. I put a battery in the glove box so that I can make the "dead" key "alive" if I'm on an extended trip.

Again, thanks everyone. Now, if I can only find someone to cut an extra blank key I have.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Someone, on this thread or another, mentioned ACE Hardware, for an extra charge, but I have not tried them myself.
Also, not sure I would have divulged so much detail about my hiding places on an open forum...

XJR100orXKR100 (07-02-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Someone, on this thread or another, mentioned ACE Hardware, for an extra charge, but I have not tried them myself.
Also, not sure I would have divulged so much detail about my hiding places on an open forum...
Point well taken, but I'm so ahead on this deal that if someone choose to do the evil deed, I'd be able to pick up a 2013 or 2014 with a longer warranty, active exhaust and a smile. And, this weekend I'll adjust both positions as I'm planning on installing the jagwrangler top & rear window kit I just picked up. Just to throw a wrench into the lurkers (car thiefs) on the forum.

On my Segway glide home, I'll check ACE, but I highly doubt they have the high tech equipment to do the laser cut.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

It took visits to three different locksmiths until I found one, recommended, that could and would cut my aluminum blanks. When you make your fist stop ask for a recommendation, that should shorten your search.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 3,207 Posts

It took visits to three different locksmiths until I found one, recommended, that could and would cut my aluminum blanks. When you make your fist stop ask for a recommendation, that should shorten your search.
The ONE guy near me that could do it took almost an hour, all the while I could hear his machine making some gawdawful screeching noises. Finally had one of the two cut, but he refused to do the second one as evidently this aluminum alloy blank nearly tore his machine apart. At least I have ONE working E-Key.

Quick Reply: Hidden Key . . .