XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

High revs on kickdown / restricted performance/ rough idle - no codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High revs on kickdown / restricted performance/ rough idle - no codes

Help needed

I recently decided to do a few fixes on my 2009 XKR 4.2 convertible. The car is in pretty bad cosmetic shape as I live in the middle east and the previous owner parked it in direct 45°C+ Sunlight as his wife wanted the shaded parking. 😪

I bought a new set of Iridium plugs and a couple of coils (just in case), plus filters. When changing the plugs I took out the air pipes that block access to the coils / plugs and realised that the rubber gasket that joins the 'T' / 'Y' pipe (dunno what its called) to the throttle body was crumbling. I searched online and found a DIY fix in the forums and ordered a plumbing part from homedepot (USA) plus a turbo hose from amazon to try and fix it (as in attached photo)

I put the new plugs in plus I swapped in my 2x new coils for 2 that looked the most worn and put everything back together.

Started the car and ran my code reader and it said I had a vacuum leak - thought id messed up my DIY fix but then noticed the 'nipple' on the top of the suoercharger was missing so i added a blocked off rubber tube to close it. Cleared the codes and car was running great for 2 days.

Happy! 🙂

I found that my Bluetooth ODBII reader that I have on my Hummer H3 unexpectedly worked with my Jaguar XKR (previously couldnt get it going) so I was keen to see how much supercharger boost I was getting - as I was playing around in the Torque app (probably a mistake!).

Did a few runs where I put my foot to the floor at around 60 MPH, and i got a max reading in Torque of 12PSI when the car was at around 6000 RPM - seemed good.

The next day I did the same thing but something strange happened. As the gearbox kicked down the revs went almost to redline.. it seemed like it had dropped down more gears than normal.. I quickly lifted my foot and everything seemed ok. Unfortunately though it did the same thing again later on - extremely high revs when using the kickdown.

I started to think the clutch was slipping or I had a gearbox issue.. then the car decided to give me a "restricted performance' warning on the dash and i went into limp mode. When I slowed down I realised I had very 'lumpy' idle.

I checked the codes at home and nothing came up. Turning the engine off fixed the restricted performance until I drove again and hit around 3000 RPM.

have done a bit if reading and the only post I can find relating to high revs on gear change and Limp Mode with no codes is this.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/limp-mode-on-xkr-but-no-error-codes.128825/

I'm also wondering if my DIY 'T' pipe fix is leaking after getting hot.. seems okay but the rubber has bulged a bit in the middle .

Any other suggestion greatly appreciated.. my DIY skills and tools are a bit limited. I do have a Jaguar diagnostic device - not sure where to start though

There are zero options for parts here other than the dealer, so I have to order everything in either from US or UK. Luckily I'm heading home to UK in a few weeks so I can order any parts I might need.

Bit gutted as I was hoping to sort the paint that is missing from the wheels / soft top not working / dashboard leather / crumbling suspension bushes next.

Oh well.. Thanks!

Steve 👍👍

Old 12-02-2022, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Sounds like an air leak.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

MuscatCat, you are probably leaking around your new silicon reducer, it looks way too big. The correct size is 3.75 Inches to 3.25 Inches.

www.siliconeintakes.com

Search for part number 000532, it is the one you want.