XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

And the hits keep coming!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

hopefully this car is NOT the norm... im pretty sure its not. 3 failed water pumps within 38,000 miles? must be a fluke.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Thanks DGL... I do love my jags that is for sure!! I probably won't leave the brand.... Certainly won't give up on this car... Just won't be able to buy a new one too soon for fears this one will need funds to get fixed! :O
There are so many folks who have said that the maintenance or extended warranty plans are never worth it, but you are proving that wrong at least for your case. It was a wise purchase.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would go with 1-2% maybe considering the number of 5.0L engines built. Then you need to break it down between XK and XKR where the thermostat housing may be the culprit and the WP being the "while you're in there" dealer choice. I wonder how many of the few had seen or asked to see the bad WP and what the failure was.
I don't dispute that you could be right! All we can do is speculate, use conjecture, extrapolate, guess, as the forum board is not a proper sampling of the XK or JLR 5.0 population. Typically when you hear about a failure on the board it is a one-off instance. Like a tranny going out, or a top crapping out on someone. When 4 or 5 other folks chime in and say they had the same part it creates a pattern.

I have seen this enough to know it is a problem, albeit small or large we don't know. It could be the most minor issue and the only couple of people it has happened to are on this board creating hype. At this point I am confident that I cannot attest to the waterpump being a bulletproof part. Do I think it is the weakest part, nah, I am all good.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

The techs at my dealership have told me the 5.0L V8 eats timing chains and has water pump failures....yet not ONE V6 has had either... timeframe unknown - model...unknown.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's your problem

Hmmmm 4 water pumps and now belt squealing and electrical issue after the last pump replacement. My money is going to be on a bad or most likely bent/misaligned pulley. This would cause undue stress on the pump therefore resulting in failure. The blower is being caused by the altenator, the belt is obviously either sticking or slipping (squeal) for some reason. You need to have a shop/dealer assure pulleys are properly aligned and belt tensioner is to spec.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm 4 water pumps and now belt squealing and electrical issue after the last pump replacement. My money is going to be on a bad or most likely bent/misaligned pulley. This would cause undue stress on the pump therefore resulting in failure. The blower is being caused by the altenator, the belt is obviously either sticking or slipping (squeal) for some reason. You need to have a shop/dealer assure pulleys are properly aligned and belt tensioner is to spec.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

The techs at my dealership have told me the 5.0L V8 eats timing chains and has water pump failures....yet not ONE V6 has had either... timeframe unknown - model...unknown.
This is where it continues to be funny. My dealer service manager told me there are no issues with the 5.0L water pumps or timing chains or tensioners. He did say they have unusual failures of the XK thermostat housing.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

its a cute xkr black with the new headlights, i wanted one like this more recent, i understand you attached to it, but maybe i will trade it in myself. and with a small value difference so you don't feel you have to do a lot and the gesture from Jag will be to accept a low trade in.
like i don't know, your car worth 70k buy one at 78k or so.... and spend in advance the money you think about keeping to fix this car.
and you never talk about issues like these anymore.

and not to criticize cause its too easy and you don't need that, but maybe better for all jaguar keep this car in quarantaine a while before it hits the road again. you have the sickest *** jag around.
do you have the warranty history checked with another jag dealer, tecnicians, who can tell you what has been changed before you had it and after it be a good argument when you call jag usa,
switch your warranty on a low trade in. and this is it. buyars, they cant' fix a single problem, how do you want the car to run eficiently with them taking the motor appart every .....its already too much.

when i had the problem with the rapide my friend wrote this, which i sent to Andy palmer.

"The situation turns like the song "Everything is swell, madame la Marquise".
if you give it 20 more days I am sure the car will no longer run. If after 25 days they all searching and things have gotten worst, I have no confidence they will find anything in the next 25 days."

Last edited by jagxk2008; 09-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Default and the hits keep coming...PART 2!

Car given back early last week after a noise in the front end could not be identified. The following occurred to me this morning....

driving 30mph on a back road to work....

Ediff fault, ABS Fault, Adaptive Dynamics fault, Check engline light - the gear selector lost power and the head unit turned off. DING DING DING whistles everywhere.

I turned off the side of the road. Turned the car off in D (no power to the drive selector). Car wont turn over but the electricals all fixed themselves per say (head unit back on. Gear selector automatically went to park but is stuck in down position).

Towed the car to dealership on east side of Columbus. Discussed with some friends - "Network Failure".

Has anyone had a "network failure" before???

Old 10-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

I was hoping the lack of posts in this thread would mean everything was finally resolved. I would seriously consider getting rid of this Lemon and drive the RS like you stole it!

Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
I was hoping the lack of posts in this thread would mean everything was finally resolved. I would seriously consider getting rid of this Lemon and drive the RS like you stole it!
nope. And this time it stranded me. Thank God for AAA!!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Car given back early last week after a noise in the front end could not be identified. The following occurred to me this morning....

driving 30mph on a back road to work....

Ediff fault, ABS Fault, Adaptive Dynamics fault, Check engline light - the gear selector lost power and the head unit turned off. DING DING DING whistles everywhere.

I turned off the side of the road. Turned the car off in D (no power to the drive selector). Car wont turn over but the electricals all fixed themselves per say (head unit back on. Gear selector automatically went to park but is stuck in down position).

Towed the car to dealership on east side of Columbus. Discussed with some friends - "Network Failure".

Has anyone had a "network failure" before???

Full disclosure: I know nothing about what has happened to your car!
This info may help... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...-JAG_10-08.pdf
From a layman's perspective, it may be that you had an electrical short which prevented the various modules from communicating with each other and therefore (perhaps due to a built-in safety feature) shut them down.
Hopefully the dealer can sort it out quickly and inexpensively.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Verdict from Dealership:

The battery charge got dangerously low - all the modules started to fault - lost power to the drive selector and head unit. Dealership said they lost power to other places as well. On investigation the battery went bad despite them and I driving it daily because..... the alternator died.

New alternator on order. Thank God!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

If it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all!

Seriously, after all you have been through for the alternator to fail so prematurely just sucks. It happens, any component can fail at any time, however usually an alternator would be a have a much longer life than that.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
If it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all!

Seriously, after all you have been through for the alternator to fail so prematurely just sucks. It happens, any component can fail at any time, however usually an alternator would be a have a much longer life than that.
SO a water pump got change out and then the belts squealed like you wouldn't believe... soaked belts...what else got soaked??? Then my air blower motor dies followed by less than a month later my alternator..... what do you guys thing???

Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

List of things replaced on this XKR that went into service 1/1/12.

1- all the rubber around the doors and door frame
2- Entire supercharger
3- Timing chain
4- Timing chain tensioners TWICE
5- Water pump THRICE
6- External Thermostat
7- Air Blower Motor
8- Alternator
9- Main windshield and passenger side windshield from rock cracks and scratches from previous own.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. But I also believe it is fitting for this car.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

You seem to have had more problems with your car than everyone on here for the month combined.

I feel for you as that really sucks. Could the coolant spray cause these failures, I have never heard of that.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
You seem to have had more problems with your car than everyone on here for the month combined.

I feel for you as that really sucks. Could the coolant spray cause these failures, I have never heard of that.
I am also thinking coolant spray may have assisted some of this.