XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

HKS Camp2 and GVIF install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
That's promising, although what bothers me is that the manual I point to above, on page 16, shows the 'Factory mode' screen, and under the 'UTIL' menu it shows 'NAVI MODEL' and 'FACTORY RESET', but not the 'OEM SKIP' listed in the text. Maybe they didn't update the screenshots.
If the weather is warm next weekend, I'll see if I can get a chance to uncover my cat and take a look at what mine has.
I went out on to eBay and picked up a GVIF from car solutions (delivered from Hong Kong in 24 hrs by the way, via DHL) I needed one anyway to find a solution for the overpriced HKS Camp2 units that come up for sale.

In factory mode, OEM SKIP is an option and I turned it on but no change. As Steve suspected, it likely applies to other NAVI models that have an integration capability.

I have NAVI model set on default, though there are several models to select from, none I recognized and most likely RR or Lexus which is irrelevant anyway as noted previously by Steve.

I should have some results of my Camp 2 replacement in the next couple of weeks. I have some more electronic parts on order.

The code for the touch screen appears to be Chimera, perhaps Python. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by Sean W; 01-20-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I went out on to eBay and picked up a GVIF from car solutions (delivered from Hong Kong in 24 hrs by the way, via DHL) I needed one anyway to find a solution for the overpriced HKS Camp2 units that come up for sale.
Overnite shipping? Guess the only other option would have been a 'slow boat from China'.
In factory mode, OEM SKIP is an option and I turned it on but no change. As Steve suspected, it likely applies to other NAVI models that have an integration capability.

I have NAVI model set on default, though there are several models to select from, none I recognized and most likely RR or Lexus which is irrelevant anyway as noted previously by Steve.
Ok, guess I don't have to uncover the cat this weekend to check it out. Thanks!
The code for the touch screen appears to be Chimera, perhaps Python. Anyone have any insight?
You've got a copy of the code for the touch screen?

Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Overnite shipping? Guess the only other option would have been a 'slow boat from China'.
There was no option given but yes it was $28 to ship. However if you go to their site and buy, it's $71 to ship - both DHL.

Ok, guess I don't have to uncover the cat this weekend to check it out. Thanks!
Thanks for the offer. I wasn't expecting the box so soon.

You've got a copy of the code for the touch screen?
No, I stumbled on this link. My son is a coder and he can code python. Chimera is open source. He's out of State but comes home from time to time and I want him to see if he can access the code in the box. Since it's open source, assuming if he gains access, there's no copyright language embedded - this will be a long term goal. I have extremely low expectations because even if he can access, defining options is remote at best. Anything actionable here is remote at best.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...display-92921/

The use of the box is great for the gauges but brutal for reverse camera. I now understand what you're all in need of and am hoping WhiteXKR can solve for this still.

For back up camera, my first hope will still be with Cambo via the Fakra connection. Barring that, I'll probably use the rearview mirror camera set up.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Where did you install it and what PSI are you seeing at the new location? Thank you!

EDIT: Would moving the factory tap to your new location be a good idea too?
Sensor tap and location are on page 2 of the write up. Post number 31. It's under the brake booster cover on the driver side. I've seen 12psi.

I wouldn't move the factory sensor location only because the engine tune was optimized for it's current location and readings. Moving it may throw that all out of whack.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Sensor tap and location are on page 2 of the write up. Post number 31. It's under the brake booster cover on the driver side. I've seen 12psi.

I wouldn't move the factory sensor location only because the engine tune was optimized for it's current location and readings. Moving it may throw that all out of whack.
Yes, I originally quoted that post when I asked you about boost pressure. Highest I've seen is about 8.5psi both through SDD and via that MAP line with check valve removed and smaller pulley. You originally said you were getting 9-10psi, now you say 12psi? Do you have a smaller charger pulley. Just trying to find out why such a discrepancy.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Yes, I originally quoted that post when I asked you about boost pressure. Highest I've seen is about 8.5psi both through SDD and via that MAP line with check valve removed and smaller pulley. You originally said you were getting 9-10psi, now you say 12psi? Do you have a smaller charger pulley. Just trying to find out why such a discrepancy.
9-10 was short term monitoring during summer. I did a WOT through 4th gear and saw 12 on a cool day.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 PM

Did anyone ever figure out the auto reverse camera thingy?

Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Did anyone ever figure out the auto reverse camera thingy?
No solution for the 4.2 models unless you use a GVIF, which requires manual selection of the camera. There is also the Costco solar camera option, with a separate in-car screen.
No other viable alternative since the 4.2 models never came with the capability.
On the 5.0 years 2010-11, a camera can be added using a FAKRA cable and a special version of SDD to activate that camera.
Nothing else.
White XKR has had no progress in a few years, since no words since. It's probably a dead end.
The new big screen replacements that have become popular the past few weeks has a backup camera provision though!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-239623/

Old 01-05-2021, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Cee Jay has forgotten that jahummer (and others) have done it with Cambo’s help.
See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...08-xkr-198002/

It’s high on my todo list, when I have time ‘to do’.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay has forgotten that jahummer (and others) have done it with Cambo’s help.
See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...08-xkr-198002/

It’s high on my todo list, when I have time ‘to do’.
Yup. I did it. Both jahummer and Cambo gave me additional assistance.
My 2 cents:
1) The solution provided by Cambo keeps the look and feel of OEM. If you already have the camera installed, the rest is software modifications so the cost is lower. Thanks to Cambo not charging for the upgrade.
2) It's a little more difficult than converting the 5.0 and you need SDD regardless of MY and I don't recall but think you need a modified version so you can turn on the camera in CCF. There are guys who have those versions on this forum.

GVIF -
1) well I like this solution obviously but you do need to hit a hidden button to turn on the camera. Not a big deal imo, whereas the OEM requires you to tap the touchscreen to turn off the camera, GVIF solution requires you to touch a button to turn on the camera.
2) GVIF allows you to add virtual gauges to the touchscreen.
3) Hardware cost is higher than the retrofit but doesn't require SDD.

Alternatives to Virtual gauges:
Cabrio Bob has a solution that most find elegant and I've read nothing but praise for:
Cambo has created and sells a Touchscreen/ Android Auto interface that keeps touchscreen functionality. It uses a more advanced GVIF box (HDMI) but I believe, (my opinion as Cambo hasn't confirmed) you can still add virtual gauges by simply adding the media box the the 2nd video output.

If all you want is a camera, Cambo's retrofit is the cheapest assuming you have the necessary SDD to install.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Yup. I did it. Both jahummer and Cambo gave me additional assistance.
My 2 cents:
1) The solution provided by Cambo keeps the look and feel of OEM. If you already have the camera installed, the rest is software modifications so the cost is lower. Thanks to Cambo not charging for the upgrade.
2) It's a little more difficult than converting the 5.0 and you need SDD regardless of MY and I don't recall but think you need a modified version so you can turn on the camera in CCF. There are guys who have those versions on this forum................ If all you want is a camera, Cambo's retrofit is the cheapest assuming you have the necessary SDD to install.
Okay, fine, I forgot that there was a hack for the older models. A P-I-B hack, but if it works.......
My apologies to the asker of that question.