XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hood Won't Latch - Convertible Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hood Won't Latch - Convertible Top Issue

Picked up a 2012 XK on Friday. Top went up/down fine a few times until afternoon on Saturday. Got a 'Hood won't latch error' on the dash and the top would remain about 1-2 inches from engaging the hooks.

Tried the full manual reset procedure. No change.

Tried disconnecting battery for a half hour and than the window 'teach'. No change.

Examined fuses (that seemed obvious), non blown. Battery voltage seemed fine. Always had car running when trying any auto open/close.

Top goes to close position in automatic mode just fine.

Ended up having to manually close and drive the rest of the way home with rear quarter windows down. No Jag service centers were open in the area. Thankfully no rain, or I'd have the Detroit cardboard windows going. The rear windows issue was undoubtedly linked to the error.

Will drop off at Jaguar dealer tomorrow. I almost had 24 hours of trouble free motoring Welcome to Jaguar?

On a good note, aside from a mildly annoying squeak in the steering wheel when in 'exit' position and very touchy brakes, the car drives quite nice.

I don't see a ton of complaints on the top malfunctioning, so I'm very much hoping its truly an oddball sensor issue. If it takes some 'flash' to correct I'm not going to be happy since that means the problem could happen again at anytime.

Having the rear windows down is not an option...rainwise or security wise.

Any insight on folks who have run into top malfunctions before?

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 03-30-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Despite the fact that the engine was running, this can be a battery issue - failure to latch is one of the random symptoms of insufficient voltage....since this car is new to you, that is what I would suspect FIRST.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Battery voltage came to mind. Interesting no other electrical error or problem though, including top retract. That worked fine. Battery measured 12.56v when at idle with engine off.

Is that low?

Anyone else run into this error and it been a battery?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM

Dealer found a faulty microswitch in the top.

Will pick up tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Glad it is fixed!

It sounded as if you tried all the right things, so the outcome makes sense.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Well, its not fixed. Top cycled close fine once then started happening again. Same error 'Hood won't latch'.

I have it on a ctek charger right now to see if its something funny with voltage that is affecting it. Once it hits green, I'll try to close it again.

I suspect I'll be back to the dealer on Monday

Update: full battery charge had no impact.

Not sure what they'll have to replace next. Maybe controller?

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 04-05-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

it is most likely the switch over head. Jag replaced mine on my 2011 with a new design switch. Works great now.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by beh2010
it is most likely the switch over head. Jag replaced mine on my 2011 with a new design switch. Works great now.
I doubt its the open/close switch since it functions in both directions.

The top just stops an inch from the frame during close and I get the hood latch error. Up to that last point the switch seems to work.

I have the 'pull down' / 'push up' switch (not pictured in owners manual).

No diagnosis from dealer yet. Will see what tomorrow brings.

beh2010 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Dealer ordered a new control module for the top. It is supposed to arrive today. Will report back on success or lack there of.

Got update. Installed module.

After several roof cycles, Hood Latch error reappeared. I guess the good news is they can replicate this odd issue.

They have a regional Jaguar Tech looking at it now. I hope this isn't the start (or continuation) of a long term issue.

I bought an XK, but now have more overall seat time in an XF!

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 04-08-2015 at 02:56 PM.
JimC64 (04-08-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM

I got the car back but I haven't cycled the roof multiple times yet to verify OK.

Jaguar Field Service Engineer traced issue to a damaged wire in a wiring harness somewhere in the top. This caused an intermittent condition causing one of the sensors to read incorrectly. This triggered the Hood Won't Latch error.

I'm hoping this is the last I'll see of this error.

I do wonder how the wire got damaged. Maybe it was nicked at the factory and slowly got worse over time? Hopefully this isn't a design defect subject to wear and eventual failure.

I'll be back for an update if the error returns.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hood latch Failure

I have the same problem. Does anyone know is the problem with the engine hood or the convertible top. Hood latch failure warning came on while the top was down

Old 04-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justenough
I have the same problem. Does anyone know is the problem with the engine hood or the convertible top. Hood latch failure warning came on while the top was down
Have you tried to reset the top as described in the owner's manual?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by justenough
If your top closes ok, than you have a different problem. If it doesn't close, you could have a top sensor issue...or a motor issue, or a control module, or a bad wire...

Try the manual reset first.

If the issue persists, you'll need to take it in for repair.

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 04-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes my top does close. I was told that if the top operates slowly it can show that warning in the information center. Is that possible?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Justenough, I see now you have a '97 XK8. You are posting in the '06 and later XK group. These cars are totally different and you will not get correct answers here, especially when it is not obvious which car you have.

Please post in the correct group and put your model and year in your signature to obtain accurate help.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't thank you enough for this posting. I went 4 years without my top down because I was told I needed a new latch motor. I had the same symptoms. It would not complete a closing about an inch prior to the latch mechanism catching. They wanted $1,200 to replace the motor but I finally found a used one for $350 from a 2012 XK. We swapped the motor but no go. I read your post and started searching for the wiring harness you mentioned. The harness runs from the back of the hood to the front along the drivers side. It contains two medium sized wires plus 4 other very thin wires. We found a slight crimp in the harness right above the drivers side window. We opened it up and found the very thin white wire was snipped and no longer connected. We spliced the two ends together and immediately the hood closed, problem solved. It cost me over $500 but it could have been a DIY job for nothing. At least I got a less worn motor and gear out of it. One of the reasons the motor was suspect was because the gear inside the motor is plastic, not metal. This plastic motor gear does connect to a gear in the hood, but that gear looks like brass. The plastic gears on my motor were worn out so it was worth replacing the motor. It was possible to remove the motor gear but this part is NOT sold separately. I hope this info helps someone else in the future. Happy motoring in the XKR convert.

The following 2 users liked this post by UsmaXKR2010:
bgpenguin21 (07-25-2023), McJag222 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
I can't thank you enough for this posting. I went 4 years without my top down because I was told I needed a new latch motor. I had the same symptoms. It would not complete a closing about an inch prior to the latch mechanism catching. They wanted $1,200 to replace the motor but I finally found a used one for $350 from a 2012 XK. We swapped the motor but no go. I read your post and started searching for the wiring harness you mentioned. The harness runs from the back of the hood to the front along the drivers side. It contains two medium sized wires plus 4 other very thin wires. We found a slight crimp in the harness right above the drivers side window. We opened it up and found the very thin white wire was snipped and no longer connected. We spliced the two ends together and immediately the hood closed, problem solved. It cost me over $500 but it could have been a DIY job for nothing. At least I got a less worn motor and gear out of it. One of the reasons the motor was suspect was because the gear inside the motor is plastic, not metal. This plastic motor gear does connect to a gear in the hood, but that gear looks like brass. The plastic gears on my motor were worn out so it was worth replacing the motor. It was possible to remove the motor gear but this part is NOT sold separately. I hope this info helps someone else in the future. Happy motoring in the XKR convert.
i read a while back of another guy had issues with the motor , plastic parts guy bought a part for a bmw convertible has metal motor parts and it worked great

Bill400 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
I got the car back but I haven't cycled the roof multiple times yet to verify OK.

Jaguar Field Service Engineer traced issue to a damaged wire in a wiring harness somewhere in the top. This caused an intermittent condition causing one of the sensors to read incorrectly. This triggered the Hood Won't Latch error.

I'm hoping this is the last I'll see of this error.

I do wonder how the wire got damaged. Maybe it was nicked at the factory and slowly got worse over time? Hopefully this isn't a design defect subject to wear and eventual failure.

I'll be back for an update if the error returns.

This was EXACTLY the issue with my car when the same thing happened! It was fixed and the problem never reappeared.I think it is a minor design defect but mine also failed at about the ten year mark. So you're good for another 10-12 years....

kj07xk (07-03-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:05 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you folks know where the break in the wire was? How do I access the top wiring harness?

Old 07-25-2023, 06:17 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The wiring harness runs along the drivers side from the rear of the top to the front. It is sheathed in a black plastic wire sleeve and is hidden from sight between cloth layers making up the conv top. In my case, there was a very slight crimp in the harness right above the drivers side window where one of the top's hinges is located. Clearly, the hinge weakened one of the very thin wires inside the harness. You will have to slice open the wire wrap to expose the wires inside and find the break in the wire. I will try and submit a photo later.

Quick Reply: Hood Won't Latch - Convertible Top Issue