XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Horn beep when locking

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:00 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by De5in
Page 30 of my owner's manual describes two different alarm settings depending on the number of button presses. According to the manual, one press sets a "perimeter alarm" which sounds if: •The bonnet, luggage compartment or either door is opened •The vehicle battery is disconnected •An attempt is made to disconnect the alarm system •An attempt is made to start the vehicle without the smart key present.

Two presses of the lock key sets the "full" alarm which along with the perimeter alarm functions adds: •Movement is detected within the vehicle's interior. •A window or front or rear screen is broken •The vehicle is raised or tilted.

I see nowhere that describes a situation where the car cannot be opened from the inside. According to my manual there are two levels of alarm, hence the "double lock".
As various guys have explained, the European and US specs are different. Here in Europe, double pressing the button on the remote sets the alarm but also locks the doors in a way they cannot be opened from the inside of the vehicle. The idea is that it prevents someone smashing a window and reaching inside to open the door. It's an added security measure. To get into the car, you;d have to climb through the (broken) window. That is harder than just reaching in and opening the door by the handle. European cars have had this feature for as long as I can recall.

In the US, you don't get door 'deadlocking' because, I am told, there are a lot of parents who forget they locked their kids in the car (by double clicking the remote) and so the kids would be unable to get out in an emergency.

One other thing I've read a lot in the forums here is that double-clicking the remote is A Good Idea as it ensures that the electrical systems fully shut down right away.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Stuart
LOL. Love that gif. So much, I stole it

Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
LOL. Love that gif. So much, I stole it
No need to steal it. Just click on the smiley face icon in the banner at the top of the post and open a page full of various gifs to insert into your post.

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-24-2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added banner.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

It may be semantics by this point, but I still say that the single beep on a two-press of the remote is not an 'error', but a signal to ensure the locker that the car actually IS locked without having to look at it when the lights flash. It' a feature for those people who want to ensure their vehicle is definitely locked without having to stare at it continuously while walking away.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
arenaej (06-25-2020), JackJohn (06-24-2020), Reverend Sam (06-24-2020), V7Sport (06-24-2020), Wm. Lyon (03-06-2023)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

De5in,
You're in the USA. If you don't understand what the above photo of the relevant section of the manual says, then scroll up to my Post #6 in this thread and read what I wrote on June 22.
For US market X150 models, the double beep is an error message indicating that the car is already locked.

Stuart
EDITED TO REMOVE WHAT COULD EASILY BE SEEN AS INFLAMMATORY LANGUAGE AS OPPOSED TO THE LIGHT HUMOR THAT WAS INTENDED.

So I apologize to Stuart even though hopefully he didn't see it.

Based on Stuart's earlier mention of JJM 10 versus JJM 18 I went online and found a downloadable PDF version of JJM 18 and it, in fact, has no mention of a "perimeter" and "full" alarm. That second press just makes the little horn go beep, that being a warning sound or a confirmation (or both).

PS: I used to be into necrophilia, BSDM and bestiality but then I just decided that I was beating a dead horse.

Last edited by De5in; 06-24-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I'm a moron?
The following users liked this post:
tampamark (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
It may be semantics by this point, but I still say that the single beep on a two-press of the remote is not an 'error', but a signal to ensure the locker that the car actually IS locked without having to look at it when the lights flash. It' a feature for those people who want to ensure their vehicle is definitely locked without having to stare at it continuously while walking away.
Cee Jay, you are clearly right, the US alarm info above states that the audible on second press is a confirmation that the alarm is active and not an error. As stated below it has been highlighted in Yellow (which I by the way appreciate) in a previous post and I am reposting now while running the risk of being a yellow highlighter freak.

In the manual it is called "LOCK CONFIRMATION" not "LOCK ERROR".

Edit to reflect original posters edit...

Last edited by tampamark; 06-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Whichever and however, I'd think we are all above personal attacks and name-calling.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Cool

Originally Posted by De5in
EDITED TO REMOVE WHAT COULD EASILY BE SEEN AS INFLAMMATORY LANGUAGE AS OPPOSED TO THE LIGHT HUMOR THAT WAS INTENDED.

So I apologize to Stuart even though hopefully he didn't see it.

Based on Stuart's earlier mention of JJM 10 versus JJM 18 I went online and found a downloadable PDF version of JJM 18 and it, in fact, has no mention of a "perimeter" and "full" alarm. That second press just makes the little horn go beep, that being a warning sound or a confirmation (or both).

PS: I used to be into necrophilia, BSDM and bestiality but then I just decided that I was beating a dead horse.
De5in,

No apology necessary. Let me explain.

You did nothing to intentionally and maliciously offend me, so there's nothing for you to apologize for. But you have a guilty conscience because you thought you offended me (but didn't). Only I can remedy your guilty conscience, so I forgive you for doing nothing so you can sleep well tonight.

Stuart

Old 03-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I reactivate the lock confirmation?

De5in,
You're in the USA. If you don't understand what the above photo of the relevant section of the manual says, then scroll up to my Post #6 in this thread and read what I wrote on June 22.

For US market X150 models, the double beep is an error message indicating that the car is already locked.

Stuart
The lock confirmation audible worked before I took my car in to replace the O rings bc it was leaking gas. Since I got it back now the horn no longer beeps when I hit the lock button a second time to confirm it is locked. Does anyone know how to get this to turn back on?

Old 03-03-2023, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

How old is your battery? You're in Austin, Texas, where heat kills batteries.

The first thing to check whenever you have any electrical glitch is your battery. If your battery is under 12.6V with the engine off, it should be recharged. Have it load tested for free at your local auto parts store.

If your battery is OK, you probably need to replace the sounder.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
2kry4 (03-04-2023), ralphwg (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kry4
The lock confirmation audible worked before I took my car in to replace the O rings bc it was leaking gas. Since I got it back now the horn no longer beeps when I hit the lock button a second time to confirm it is locked. Does anyone know how to get this to turn back on?
it’s an option in the SDD menus when you do the module configurations for I believe the front module or the drivers door module.

Central locking I believe is when you push the button on the middle of the consul with the door on it and it locks all four doors. Double locking is not available in the US but if you hit the lock button on the remote twice you’ll get a beep from the horn and the lock mechanism will be disabled for solenoid inside the door so you can’t open it once you’re inside. Prevents people from breaking a window and opening the door and getting in.

Perimeter alarm will activate the alarm if the hood doors or trunk is open when the alarm is set. Panic loves you to press and hold the headlight button on your remote for three seconds in your horn supposed to beep but on my car even though I had it enabled, it wouldn’t work. Security sounder is a separate little horn that’s in the engine compartment or wheel wells or something that makes noises under various conditions. I can’t explain I don’t have it.

Passive arming is an annoying feature which the alarm is automatically set 30 seconds or so after you close the door. But it won’t set the door locks to lock. It will allow you to open the door and then sound the alarm. So I disable this because it’s annoying.

Here are some pictures I took when I was working on my S type our last night.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello! I’d like to update the config on my 07 XK where when I press the lock button once on my exterior door handle and the doors lock and the exterior lights flash, I’d like either the alarm to chirp or the horn to beat to audibly confirm the car has locked / the security system is activated. Anyone know what setting would enable that? I have SDD v160 with engineering mode?

Old 02-05-2024, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Press that button twice.

freeb1703 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 05:49 PM

But there’s no way to adjust the config to make it beep after pressing the button just once?

Old 02-05-2024, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Why would there be? The sound is to confirm that the door is locked, so it can lock quietly by a single press if your puppy is sleeping in the garage. It's also the Interior Lock in UK places where it's not illegal.

freeb1703 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 07:39 PM

Sounds good! I figured there might be a way to adjust the setting. I have a couple other cars where it beeps after one press of the lock button (not Jaguars - and I had to get into the config in those other cars to enable that)