XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
...Hope they don't have deer, squirrel, skunks, possum, etc. in Germany near the autobon. Could get messy, fast.
On that road, it's the Dutch going really, really fast (100MPH) that that you have to worry about - they pull out to pass trucks, without thinking that someone might be closing on them at 80 MPH faster. The A31 is a new, very flat & very straight autobahn, but it is only 2 lanes each way and it runs parallel to the Dutch border. They use it as a shortcut; pop into Germany, whizz up the unrestricted motorway and then pop back. But they aren't 'autobahn aware' like the Germans.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Put an 'autobahn' type road in the USA and the population control will enact itself.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I think that's probably true of most places where people aren't accustomed to unrestricted roads. You have to get your head around the fact that you need to look as far behind as you look in front before deciding what to do next.

Interestingly, the motorways here in the UK had no limit until 1965 - of course, at that time, few production cars could exceed 100 MPH anyway.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Great highway system. I recall (and laugh) at some of my business traveling experiences back in the day. One exceptional one was flying in to Stuttgart for a 10:00 meeting then driving to Munich for a 1:00 meeting and then down to Konstanz for a 5:00 meeting. Had to drive back up to Sindelfingen for a noon meeting and out to the Stuttgart airport later in the day for my trip home. The autobann was great and a lot of fun. Ended up with a MB rental and I beat the snot out of it. The only thing that scared me was running into a pop up rain storm when I'm at WOT. Just gotta keep that blinker on all of the time and when you see flashing lights in your rear view mirror pull over quickly.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
On that road, it's the Dutch going really, really fast (100MPH) that that you have to worry about - they pull out to pass trucks, without thinking that someone might be closing on them at 80 MPH faster. The A31 is a new, very flat & very straight autobahn, but it is only 2 lanes each way and it runs parallel to the Dutch border. They use it as a shortcut; pop into Germany, whizz up the unrestricted motorway and then pop back. But they aren't 'autobahn aware' like the Germans.
You are right. Over the years, we have done the European delivery option for two MBs. While it's always nice to drive on the Autobahns, doing in my own car is a real treat. The only problem was having to wait through the "breakin" period. The German drivers are very predictable, always pulling back into the right lane unless they are running "lights on" in the left. But more and more of the roads now have speed limits, so when I see that no limit sign it's a joy.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Luckily the only racks that affect my driving in our area are on the human females....

Animals and vehicles are a tough mix, I have a 1000rr sport bike and we tend to ride our bikes hard up in the rural areas. Fortunately no encounters with wildlife, but a guy at my gym had a friend crash his bike at a high rate of speed due to collision with a dear. He did not come away very well at all.

Good you were alert and smart even if the UPS guy was not!
now lets say u were doing 90 or 140... I doubt the UPS guy wouldve done the same. And I love gorgeous racks.