XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you move on from an XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
I was going to start the day by writing a ‘Thank you Tatty’ for starting this entertaining thread.
Then it turned down the road of poor taste.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The weather is warming up here today so I’m going to the garage to caress my xkr and ponder which stable mate she needs.

According to my 16 year old daughter, we need a McLaren such that we demonstrate our support for Lando.
Consider looking at what the XKR does really well for you and then find a car that doesn't do very well at those things but instead does very well at different things.
If you can have multiple cars, go for cars that give you an entirely different enjoyment than the one you have.
That said, the XKR is an incredible compromise that does very well at so many things.

You could get a plug in hybrid, and get in MPG competitions.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Consider looking at what the XKR does really well for you and then find a car that doesn't do very well at those things but instead does very well at different things.
If you can have multiple cars, go for cars that give you an entirely different enjoyment than the one you have.
That said, the XKR is an incredible compromise that does very well at so many things.

You could get a plug in hybrid, and get in MPG competitions.
Not a bad plan. Besides my XKR I have an X-Type, which I very much like and serves as my daily car and I also have a pickup! The three couldn't be more different. But if I could have only one car, it'd be the XKR because, as you say, it does so many things so well. The sole thing that it can't do is carry four people, which is another reason I have the X-Type (and also for its AWD capability when the roads are slippery around where I live, which is quite often in the winter months). However, I rarely need to carry four people so, still, if I had to choose just one, it would be the XKR. There really is nothing like it at anything like the price or the cost of ownership. Of all the big coupe GT style cars - Aston, Ferrari, Continental GT, etc - none ticks so many boxes as the XKR.

Plus.... it still looks 'current' and always will and it never fails to turn heads or draw remarks at the gas station and so on. Most people I encounter don't know what it is unless they see the badge, and they all assume it has cost way more than it has. The one thing they all agree on is that it looks "very quick".

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (05-17-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
agreed!But the NSX is a Honda so that's kind of like from Japan.Now those Vipers...They SERIOUSLY hard to find since they quit production of them for the lame Hell cat
Even though just about every design element was done in the US along with the manufacture of the car and its parts? I don't consider it a Japanese car so much.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
A lot of people do the champagne taste and beer budget, and are shocked when a 150k$ car when new does not get cheaper to maintain and repair with time.
The fee to enter and fees to keep in the game can be quite at odds in the used fancy car spectrum. 150K new car will always be a 150K when it comes time to fix it.

The following 3 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
80sRule (02-24-2020), Barry Leftwich (05-17-2020), Cee Jay (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The fee to enter and fees to keep in the game can be quite at odds in the used fancy car spectrum. 150K new car will always be a 150K when it comes time to fix it.
Oddly i feel the XK has more affordable parts compared to other cars in its same original msrp bracket. I also feel that they are generally reliable compared to their peers and not very needy in terms of needing parts or repair. That said it generally holds true what is said.

To own my 2000 X100 XKR Convertible for a decade now, it's been all in about a grand and a half a year. That includes all of the depreciation, maintenance, repairs, consumables other than fuel, wheel refinishing, paint job and new leather in front. I would say objectively the x100, while near and dear to my heart, it's not near as well made or robust as the x150. If in a decade I've spent 15k overall to own my 07 XKR, I'll be on here toasting having enjoyed such a great car for a pittance. Depreciation likely to be the bigger expense than maintenance and repair.

Honestly though, double the 1500 to 3000 a year if you had to pay labor, still a relative bargain for what you get.

Barry Leftwich (05-17-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 05:42 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

This is how I moved on from an XKR...

Jaguar 2011 XKR 175, bought 2012.

Jaguar 2013 XKR w/dynamic pack, bought 2014

Jaguar 2014, Dynamic R, bought 2019 used w/13,000 miles

The following 7 users liked this post by DGL:
Barry Leftwich (03-18-2020), Cee Jay (02-26-2020), guy (03-05-2020), ralphwg (02-26-2020), Sean W (03-17-2020), shemp (02-26-2020), TexasTraveler (02-26-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Alfa Romeo looks promising.
When was an Alfa not incredibly promising....and when was that promise ever worth the other heartaches.

I think people have less of a stomach these days for the grief that comes with an Alfa because you cant just take it to a gas station to be worked on, like you could in the old days and Tony would show some patriotic enthusiasm. Nowadays, Pedro wants as much as the dealership- no joke.

I can show you several 2 year old Alfas with 3000 miles for $20k- and this was one of the best car designs in the last few decades. 0-60 in 3,2sec, incredible sounds, handling to die for.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
What have you lost?
One of the last cars designed to go 450,000 miles, in every aspect. Remember when the Mercedes were made that way, and they went as much as a million miles. This Lexus had all the modern comforts and yet amazingly simply.
It had better craftsmanship than anything on the road today made by robots. Because there was a time in the 90's economic crash, incredible Japanese labor and engineering with thousand years of manufacturing tradition (think legendary metallurgy) was cheaper than the unskilled labor in Mexico.

The XK150 had a small element of that too, at least in the design sensibilities, it was an overlap of some tradition and modern manufacturing. No one can argue, Grace, Pace & Space formula was absolutely preserved while still having all the latest manufacturing ability that JLR has today decade later. But get this; went to see an F-pace to replace my loss. Astonishingly, it was designed around the cup holder. What a waste of space. We looked at a Mazda- it had a better interior and exterior- even though thanks to Jag depreciation a 2 year old Fpace is incredibly cheaper that a Mazda of the same age.

See if you can tell which is the premium car. Only one of them has warming wood.

guy (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
One of the last cars designed to go 450,000 miles, in every aspect. Remember when the Mercedes were made that way, and they went as much as a million miles. This Lexus had all the modern comforts and yet amazingly simply.
It had better craftsmanship than anything on the road today made by robots. Because there was a time in the 90's economic crash, incredible Japanese labor and engineering with thousand years of manufacturing tradition (think legendary metallurgy) was cheaper than the unskilled labor in Mexico.

The XK150 had a small element of that too, at least in the design sensibilities, it was an overlap of some tradition and modern manufacturing. No one can argue, Grace, Pace & Space formula was absolutely preserved while still having all the latest manufacturing ability that JLR has today decade later. But get this; went to see an F-pace to replace my loss. Astonishingly, it was designed around the cup holder. What a waste of space. We looked at a Mazda- it had a better interior and exterior- even though thanks to Jag depreciation a 2 year old Fpace is incredibly cheaper that a Mazda of the same age.

See if you can tell which is the premium car. Only one of them has warming wood.

I rent cars constantly for work. Mazda leads the pack for interior refinement for regular cars. I like their exterior styling too.

Queen and Country (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I can show you several 2 year old Alfas with 3000 miles for $20k- and this was one of the best car designs in the last few decades. 0-60 in 3,2sec, incredible sounds, handling to die for.
I am hoping to find a reasonably priced Stelvio Quad to replace our XC60 when the lease ends.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

I am hoping to find a reasonably priced Stelvio Quad to replace our XC60 when the lease ends.
You have the stomach and experience for it, it also helps that you are in a very advanced part of the country when it comes to repairing exotics.
My favorite car show was out of Harvard Square, from the law office of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

Check this one out- you cant find any Mazda for this price and this low of miles. 2018 for $25k, only 4k miles. Its an incredible car for a give away price. Dont know why they are so reasonable?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0930/overview/

Old 02-26-2020, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

You have the stomach and experience for it, it also helps that you are in a very advanced part of the country when it comes to repairing exotics.
My favorite car show was out of Harvard Square, from the law office of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

Check this one out- you cant find any Mazda for this price and this low of miles. 2018 for $25k, only 4k miles. Its an incredible car for a give away price. Dont know why they are so reasonable?
I dunno, the 'salesman' photo that popped up on my screen looked like he was still in high school... maybe he's selling daddy's car to pay for college.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that is some deal. How much warranty is left?

Old 02-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

That is a decent deal, but it is just the base engine NOT the more powerful V6...

Old 02-27-2020, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Who knows why these cars are being sold 60cents on the dollar even with almost no miles and 2 years old? across all models. BTW the Fpace is the same story.

I love Alfa and the formula, but cant own one. I cant take on yet another Pomeranian that requires monthly trips to the beauty parlor- ironically because I first need a pitbull that lives outside and makes all the luxury possible.
There is an entire genre of cars missing these days, remember the cars you could invest in and you could depend on them come hell or high water, and any time you spent on them was returned when you handed down to family.

I am hoping the Land Rover Defender is going to be that car again. There are some signs of it, those plain cheap steel wheels tell me they are not making these affordable by making lease queens, or spreading the burden across 4 owners. Which sadly is what so many cars are designed for these days.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
peterv8 (02-28-2020), TexasTraveler (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I dunno, the 'salesman' photo that popped up on my screen looked like he was still in high school...
Maybe their algorithms have determined Alfa buyers fit the Kevin Spacey mold.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

During car ownership, there are particular wear items, and not all of these will wear evenly car to car.
The extra cost might be from weighted switches with stronger mechanisms that will last longer.

The more expensive car might take items that wear out quickly on a cheap car and instead have a design that lasts.
You could go the entire ownership without need for replacement.
It really comes down to the priorities of the engineers and manufacture.

Tires are tires, oil is oil, filters are filters. Outside of a car designed to competition spec these items will not have a huge variance.
I can spend just as much on tires on a cheap car as an expensive car, the same applies to filters and fluids.

An Aston Martin Vantage will be more expensive to work on because placement has been done based on performance over ease of replacement.
In contrast, my XK has placed items that need to be replaced for easy access, sacrificing tight and ideal performance packing in the process.
This means lower hours to do the same job. A cheap car can place items with initial assembly in mind, yet not pay attention to the need for later replacement parts.
This means more hours even for a cheaper part. No savings.

I would agree that maximum risk from catastrophic will indeed be higher.
The best thing is to not pay more for a used luxury car than you can afford to light it on fire and buy a second one.
That kind of price threshold shopping gives a lot of peace of mind.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

An Aston Martin Vantage will be more expensive to work on because placement has been done based on performance over ease of replacement.
In contrast, my XK has placed items that need to be replaced for easy access, sacrificing tight and ideal performance packing in the process.
This means lower hours to do the same job. A cheap car can place items with initial assembly in mind, yet not pay attention to the need for later replacement parts.
Which items on the V8 Vantage are harder to work on or access than on the XK? I don't buy that one after owning each. V12 Vantage, maybe since it's pretty tight inside. V8V and XK share the same lower half of the engine, albeit the V8V is a dry a sump. Parts costs are significantly more on the Aston's. Shop rates at the dealer are more for Aston than Jaguar.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

During car ownership, there are particular wear items, and not all of these will wear evenly car to car.
The extra cost might be from weighted switches with stronger mechanisms that will last longer.

The more expensive car might take items that wear out quickly on a cheap car and instead have a design that lasts.
You could go the entire ownership without need for replacement.
It really comes down to the priorities of the engineers and manufacture.

Tires are tires, oil is oil, filters are filters. Outside of a car designed to competition spec these items will not have a huge variance.
I can spend just as much on tires on a cheap car as an expensive car, the same applies to filters and fluids.

I would agree that maximum risk from catastrophic will indeed be higher.
The best thing is to not pay more for a used luxury car than you can afford to light it on fire and buy a second one.
That kind of price threshold shopping gives a lot of peace of mind.
Hmmm, not sure the air filters fall into the "items placed for easy access" category. At least not on an R.

Cee Jay (03-04-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

This might be how you move-on from an XKR. Yes it really belongs in the other thread discussing 'yet another XK"

This one will be the real deal- Mazda has designed the engine first (unlike Supra) they have effectively cracked the code on how to make a diesel engine with gasoline. 30% gains.
Combine that with new British technology of Camless, Timing Chain less, lightweight engine and we are talking I-6 with 1200hp and 50mpg. Konisegg is doing it now, getting 600hp from 3 cylinder using electronic valves.
Yeah just make your XK last till all this happens, anything else is just another car from last century's technology.

The following 6 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
DannyJ (03-16-2020), guy (03-20-2020), kj07xk (03-16-2020), pwpacp (03-17-2020), Sean W (03-17-2020), Stuart S (03-18-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: How do you move on from an XKR?