XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How I fixed my XK's convertible moving flap with fishing wire (step by step)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 07:48 PM
Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How I fixed my XK's convertible moving flap with fishing wire (step by step)

This was an unconventional, but perfectly functional fix. Last week my wife texted me and said "we're missing a trim piece on the Jag..." After immediately blaming her for being a car killer (my wife and I love teasing each other heheheh), I posted on here looking to see what the part was even called. As it turns out the flap is about $300+. Before shelling out the money for the part and a couple of hours of labor, I decided to try this fix first.

You can see the stuck flap below. All the other images show what I did step by step. A couple of quick notes:

1. My Jag mechanic was able to pull the flap back and assured me the inside track was not broken. If it was, this fix would not work and the entire shroud would have to be replaced. Fortunately, my problem was the flap has come off the track because a bracket was slightly out of place. The mechanic got the flap loose and realigned the bracket. My fix worked because all I needed to do was get the flap on the track and repair the line.

2. You will need to open the top halfway to access the area. BE SURE TO SUPPORT THE TRUNK LID FOR THE CONVERTIBLE TOP BECAUSE IT WILL COME DOWN AFTER A FEW MINTUES. Ok, you've been warned! I used a couple of soft yoga mats rolled up on each side. This did the trick just fine. Again, be sure to support the lid or you may end up getting your head thunked or your fingers crunched.

With those notes, here's where we start with the missing part:

For the repair, I bought a crimper, 60lb nylon encased steel fishing lead line wire, and some barrel crimps. I could have probably used a thicker gauge fishing line, but I wasn't sure of the thickness of the line, so I went with 60 lbs.

You can see the cut cloth cable below. That line is what comes from the factory. There was a crimp on the cable that I cut with a sharp wire cutter. Be sure to use something sharp or the cable will fray and it will be near impossible to get it into the barrel crimp later when attempting the repair:

I also highly suggest getting a good work light:

Below you can see how i used a double barrel crimp to get the cables together.

Now for the other end, i created a loop and used another double barrel crimp. The hard part here is to loop the wire around the carrier making sure to pull it TIGHT. If you don't the flap won't position quite right when opening/closing the top.

Here's the final photo. It's a little blurry, but you can see how I cut the cable once the loop was tight and complete around the carrier.

Total time for everything was 15-20 minutes for the fix. I probably spent more time writing this post than actually doing the repair.

The following 11 users liked this post by Elhajj33:
bgpenguin21 (04-21-2023), Bill400 (03-22-2022), d a (03-15-2022), DGL (02-12-2022), gmuirnz (02-11-2022), Hans Amstein (02-12-2022), kj07xk (02-12-2022), ralphwg (02-13-2022), Raptorcize (04-17-2023), tampamark (02-12-2022), V7Sport (02-12-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-12-2022, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Well done, thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
Elhajj33 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I don't have a vert. Is there a finished view?

Old 02-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I did similar with a piece of shoe lace that even looks the same as OEM cord. If it fails in the future I will try using a cable crimp. Thanks.

Elhajj33 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 01:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice MacGyver on the top!

Elhajj33 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you! Have the same issue, will look to take care of it this weekend using your notes

Elhajj33 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by restd
thank you! Have the same issue, will look to take care of it this weekend using your notes
sweet, good luck! By I went with 60lb wire, but I think you can definitely go thicker. It might make it easier to crimp. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I don't have a vert. Is there a finished view?
Yere you go! You can see the flap in the photo below. It moves into the body panel as the top is up then back into place when the top is down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Elhajj33:
bgpenguin21 (04-21-2023), Sean W (02-15-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 07:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Well done!

Elhajj33 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Elhajj33

Here's the final photo. It's a little blurry, but you can see how I cut the cable once the loop was tight and complete around the carrier.

Total time for everything was 15-20 minutes for the fix. I probably spent more time writing this post than actually doing the repair.
Both panels are disconnected, but the loops remain intact.
I just can't tell from your photo where they connect to the mechanism

Old 02-24-2022, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
Both panels are disconnected, but the loops remain intact.
I just can't tell from your photo where they connect to the mechanism
it's odd that both would disconnect. do they move freely if you were to try and pull them out? As for where: there should be a little round mechanism. you can see it in my photos where I looped the cable around. It should be further to the left in your photo

Let me know if the panels move though. If they don't, it could be a different issue.

Last edited by Elhajj33; 02-24-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM

it's odd that both would disconnect. do they move freely if you were to try and pull them out? As for where: there should be a little round mechanism. you can see it in my photos where I looped the cable around. It should be further to the left in your photo

Let me know if the panels move though. If they don't, it could be a different issue.
I can pull both panels out until my fingers get in the way.
I'll likely have to wait until the weekend to get a look at it.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2022, 10:12 AM

I had a look yesterday with the top halfway down but still couldn't find the spot where you've connected your fix.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the name of the flap? my flap broke

Yere you go! You can see the flap in the photo below. It moves into the body panel as the top is up then back into place when the top is down.
The pins on the flap broke off, I need to replace flap.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by beasleee
The pins on the flap broke off, I need to replace flap.
It's called a moving flap. You can find it here: https://www.terrysjag.com/product/C2P21071LEG.html

That said: the come specific to the color of your interior AND the side of the car the flap is on. Make sure you get that sorted before ordering!

kj07xk (03-14-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 02:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine came unattached at the panel end; any easy way to reattach it?

Old 04-14-2023, 03:57 PM
Angry I have a much bigger problem...

Over two years ago My problem started when the top to my 2010 black XK convertible did not close all the way leaving a foot between the top edge of the windshield and the front edge of the convertible top. I took it to the mechanic I had been using for repairs to my Acuras for many years who told me he could take it to someone he knew who dealt with convertible tops and he would fix it. When I picked it up several days later, The top was closed. I sat in the car and put the top down and back up several times and was satisfied it was fixed. Because it was early December, I brought it home and put it away for the winter. BTW, cost of repair: $1600. The bill had no specifics regarding parts and labor. I suspect my Acura mechanic didn't "have a guy" and that he might have just done something with the hydraulics and 16 minutes later $1600. My bad.

Anyway, when I took the Jag out in the spring for the first ride of the year I noticed that the moving flap was only closing two-thirds of the way leaving a space where there hadn't been one before. The car was in mint condition with only 9000 miles and now this space made it look certainly less than "mint." I took it back to my regular mechanic and asked him to take it back to the person who fixed the convertible top and ask him to fix the flap. Instead, my mechanic attempted to fix it and when I came back for the car he handed me the flap and said the track the flap slides on was broken and I might have to get a new track. Here lies the problem...

I live in the outside of New York City where you would think there might be a decent Jaguar dealer. I went to dealers in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut as well as private mechanics who supposedly specialize in Jaguars. I found that they had no knowledge or desire to work on XKs or any model that isn't relatively current. The largest private Jaguar shop in New York City pulled my chain for over three months assuring me they had ordered the right part from England to replace the track only to find out that it was the wrong part and finally telling me that they couldn't help me. It is not obvious, but eventually it became clear that the tracks are not a separate part screwed to brackets that can be replaced. There is no part particular to the tracks. The tracks are integral to the casing quarter. Best internet price $11,300. My local Jaguar dealer: $14,400. Outrageous, yes?! But here's the rub--It's no longer available in black with Bower and Wilkins speaker cut out. Not here and not in the UK. Not at Jaguar Heaven or the source in Georgia.

So, I'm left with a "like new" car with a hole where the moving flap should be. I'm exploring 3-D printing but I'm not hopeful. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:02 PM
Angry I have a much bigger problem...

Over two years ago My problem started when the top to my 2010 black XK convertible did not close all the way leaving a foot between the top edge of the windshield and the front edge of the convertible top. I took it to the mechanic I had been using for repairs to my Acuras for many years who told me he could take it to someone he knew who dealt with convertible tops and he would fix it. When I picked it up several days later, The top was closed. I sat in the car and put the top down and back up several times and was satisfied it was fixed. Because it was early December, I brought it home and put it away for the winter. BTW, cost of repair: $1600. The bill had no specifics regarding parts and labor. I suspect my Acura mechanic didn't "have a guy" and that he might have just done something with the hydraulics and 16 minutes later $1600. My bad.

Anyway, when I took the Jag out in the spring for the first ride of the year I noticed that the moving flap was only closing two-thirds of the way leaving a space where there hadn't been one before. The car was in mint condition with only 9000 miles and now this space made it look certainly less than "mint." I took it back to my regular mechanic and asked him to take it back to the person who fixed the convertible top and ask him to fix the flap. Instead, my mechanic attempted to fix it and when I came back for the car he handed me the flap and said the track the flap slides on was broken and I might have to get a new track. Here lies the problem...

I live in the outside of New York City where you would think there might be a decent Jaguar dealer. I went to dealers in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut as well as private mechanics who supposedly specialize in Jaguars. I found that they had no knowledge or desire to work on XKs or any model that isn't relatively current. The largest private Jaguar shop in New York City pulled my chain for over three months assuring me they had ordered the right part from England to replace the track only to find out that it was the wrong part and finally telling me that they couldn't help me. It is not obvious, but eventually it became clear that the tracks are not a separate part screwed to brackets that can be replaced. There is no part particular to the tracks. The tracks are integral to the casing quarter. Best internet price $11,300. My local Jaguar dealer: $14,400. Outrageous, yes?! But here's the rub--It's no longer available in black with Bower and Wilkins speaker cut out. Not here and not in the UK. Not at Jaguar Heaven or the source in Georgia.

So, I'm left with a "like new" car with a hole where the moving flap should be. I'm exploring 3-D printing but I'm not hopeful. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

There’s another thread here somewhere where an owner rebuilt his track by gluing replacement plastic to build the track IIRC.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:45 AM
Default Rebuilding track for moving flap

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have the the piece that broke off from the track and have taken to several plastic customizing /manufacturing shops inquiring as to whether or not plastic welding was a repair option. They didn't seem to think it would hold even with welding. However, I believe that at this point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the $400 to purchase the moving flap kit--I have a perfectly good flap and the short white tube but don't have the narrow long white tube that goes with it and I don't have the pullies. Such a pity that I have to pay $400+ just for the pullies and the tube but I don't know where to find them separately.

Of course, once I obtain the kit I'm not even sure the local Jag dealer will even consider installing it. Once installed properly I will try to find the best gluing method and materials to glue the broken piece on and see if it holds when the top is put down.

If anyone has a suggestion where I might find the parts I need or any suggestions in general, I would appreciate it.

Quick Reply: How I fixed my XK's convertible moving flap with fishing wire (step by step)