XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How many show their cars and

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

The car I bought is pretty clean and has a few minor issues I'd like to correct. I did join a local Jag club and they have many events. I plan to attend a few and will use them as an excuse to be more meticulous with my detailing efforts. I am in MA and my son is at college in Bristol, RI. I plan to visit that show (British Motorcar Festival) in May. Honestly, I think it will be more to see more cars, visit my son and take in Bristol as it is a very nice spot... by default I;ll have the Jag parked on the grounds with the club.

Also looking for clubs that host track days as track memberships are pricey, I hope to drive this car very fast and the street without safety gear is no place to do it.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

I haven't read all the posts, but my thoughts are....why would anyone at a show want to look at my 2010 XK Coupe? Yes, the condition is showroom quality, but it's not a classic and there are still a number of them on the road. I'd feel silly there. I do enjoy going to classic car shows to look at cars but not to stand by my relatively modern car that has been continually depreciating in value since I started this post! lol

Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 PM

On the contrary bocatrip, people are looking at my 2008 XKR on the street all the time. These cars are, among other things, works of art. People love art, classic, modern or otherwise. You can't fight it, you own a special brand/model.

The following 4 users liked this post by J5hort:
bocatrip (03-29-2017), Firecat17 (05-16-2017), JimC64 (03-30-2017), ralphwg (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I haven't read all the posts, but my thoughts are....why would anyone at a show want to look at my 2010 XK Coupe? Yes, the condition is showroom quality, but it's not a classic and there are still a number of them on the road. I'd feel silly there. I do enjoy going to classic car shows to look at cars but not to stand by my relatively modern car that has been continually depreciating in value since I started this post! lol
The question to ask is how many XK's have you seen at any show you've gone to. Age of the car doesn't make a difference if it is unique. In the fall I usually attend the car show at the Vanderbilt Estate in Rhinebeck. There is usually around 200 or more cars of all ages and groups. You'll see cars of 1900's to brand new Camero's or Mustangs . You won't see a new Chevrolet or Ford though. And last year I had the only Jaguar XKR Convert. and parked it next to a 2009 XKR Coupe and a 1966 XKE convert. There was 1 other Jag and it was an XK150 . We all had a good showing and a lot of visitors who never saw one of these cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
bocatrip (03-29-2017), JimC64 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J5hort
On the contrary bocatrip, people are looking at my 2008 XKR on the street all the time. These cars are, among other things, works of art. People love art, classic, modern or otherwise. You can't fight it, you own a special brand/model.

You are right about that. One of the reasons my girlfriend does not like driving in my car is because she feels creepy when people keep looking at the car at a stop light or corner. I told her it was going to happen but she still gets uncomfortable. Now I tell her they are looking at her! All is well.. lol

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The question to ask is how many XK's have you seen at any show you've gone to. Age of the car doesn't make a difference if it is unique. In the fall I usually attend the car show at the Vanderbilt Estate in Rhinebeck. There is usually around 200 or more cars of all ages and groups. You'll see cars of 1900's to brand new Camero's or Mustangs . You won't see a new Chevrolet or Ford though. And last year I had the only Jaguar XKR Convert. and parked it next to a 2009 XKR Coupe and a 1966 XKE convert. There was 1 other Jag and it was an XK150 . We all had a good showing and a lot of visitors who never saw one of these cars.
I do believe you are right jagtoes about the car shows. Here in SE Florida there are tons of exotic cars every day passing by and parked in malls with the tops down. I'm talking Ferarraris, Lambos, and all exotics. I guess they may not be enthusiasts as we are on these forums... I would never leave my top down! .however I am starting to think about taking my "Jewl" to a local car show the next time to enjoy and see and enjoy. Thanks for the feedback.

JimC64 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I understand where you are coming from Boca, down there a $90,000 XK is a starter car. In the land of Bentley, Aston, Maserati, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, our XK is just a cute little ride!

For 5 years I was down in South Florida several weeks out of every month, from Miami up to Jupiter, so I saw what you are saying first hand.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I always see quite a few Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches when I'm in South Beach. However, last time I took a look at the license plates....... They were pretty much the same few cars! Every time with different drivers. Can anyone say "Rental Car"?
I'm not saying that everyone is a rental, but I'm also sure most NON rentals aren't cruised around the beach every single day.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

In general I wouldn't think it would be much fun for the owner to take most modern cars to a show. When I'm walking the shows, I won't stop to look at a current model Mustang unless its some special edition or has been obviously modified. I like them, in fact, I like them a lot, but heck, I probably passed a dozen of them on the way to the show. Therefore, I'm just not going to take the time when there's so much less common stuff to look at.

However, I might only spot one or two Jaguar XK's each month in traffic and they're always going too fast or in the other direction to get a good look at. And I have never seen one parked in a public parking lot. If there's one on static display at a show, I'm going to take full advantage of that opportunity. Nine times out of ten, the owner is not standing next to their own car, off looking at the other displays, but if he or she is, I'm going to express my appreciation.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I do believe you are right jagtoes about the car shows. Here in SE Florida there are tons of exotic cars every day passing by and parked in malls with the tops down. I'm talking Ferarraris, Lambos, and all exotics. I guess they may not be enthusiasts as we are on these forums... I would never leave my top down! .however I am starting to think about taking my "Jewl" to a local car show the next time to enjoy and see and enjoy. Thanks for the feedback.
You and tampa and maybe a few others who are around major money cities have a different view then a lot of us country folks. We have a fairly known race track about 1/2 hour from my home. It is Lime Rock Park in Ct. I've gone to almost all of the major race events since 1964. In the last 10 years or so they have special car corral for Italian , British , German and Corvette. In all of the years I have gone to any of the races I have never seen an XK100 or XK150 . They also have a Sunday car show every memorial weekend on the track. I park in the British section with the Jag. group and I am the only XK on the track. Also last year we had a new F-Type join us.We are far and few between and folks seem to enjoy looking and talking.

Attached Thumbnails How many show their cars and-0901141410.jpg  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Boca, tell the lady it comes with Jag ownership and they are looking at her first, then the car.

Funny story, years ago I'm driving the family to a company event in the SUV, I spy a Shelby Series I in my rear view and as it passes at a pretty good clip I
let out a Wooooow! The wife was taken back as there was this blond bombshell driving it. "Honestly, I was looking at the car" was my response. Truth is, I was!

Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM

Bought my XKR in FL, probably dime a dozen down there, but rare up here in New England. Might also explain the good deal I got. There is an XK around the corner from me with many more miles and it is priced much higher than wheat I bought my XKR for.
Basic law of supply and demand. Good deals if your willing to work/travel for them.

ralphwg (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J5hort
Bought my XKR in FL, probably dime a dozen down there, but rare up here in New England. Might also explain the good deal I got. There is an XK around the corner from me with many more miles and it is priced much higher than wheat I bought my XKR for.
Basic law of supply and demand. Good deals if your willing to work/travel for them.
Interesting.....I purchased my 2010 XK 2010 Coupe over 3 years ago in the winter in PA. before a snow storm. I thought I got a very good deal because no one wanting a higher end grand trouring car in the beginning of the winter. Right? How can you drive these cars until the warmer weather. Knowing, this and knowing how these cars bring premium dollars here in Florida.. I flew up to Pennslvainia and purchased it before a big storm. Of Course our cars have depreciated, but my same car (without the super low miles) was considerably more expesnsive here. Done deal.. I now onw my 2010 Jaguar XK Coupe with 9,200 miles which at the time was a good price. Now? Jaguars have the highest depreciating rate of almost any car until.... maybe the new Alfa Romeo? ha ha... Let's see.

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-30-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

You are right about that. One of the reasons my girlfriend does not like driving in my car is because she feels creepy when people keep looking at the car at a stop light or corner. I told her it was going to happen but she still gets uncomfortable. Now I tell her they are looking at her! All is well.. lol

Oh my god, similar story from years ago, around 2006

We had a little 2.5V6 X type at the time, I say ONLY an X type, although I personally love that car. We ( my 3 sons ) all currently own one as well as another we helped a friend buy.
Anyhow a few weeks into ownership, quite some man hours of cleaning / detailing and a few little mods here n there, she was looking pretty good.

My wife started saying to me that people kept looking at her at the fuel stations / supermarkets etc and a few even commented, really nice car, beautiful example etc
Like your g/f at first I think she thought they were looking at her so was a little disappointed, but we had a laugh about it

Jim

Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I haven't read all the posts, but my thoughts are....why would anyone at a show want to look at my 2010 XK Coupe?
I really see showing my car as going to the show and getting a better parking space for myself. Doesn't cost much more than going as a spectator yet I have easy access to car for a beverage/food or light my cigar if it's windy outside.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

[QUOTE=bocatrip;1649291 Done deal.. I now onw my 2010 Jaguar XK Coupe with 9,200 miles which at the time was a good price. Now? Jaguars have the highest depreciating rate of almost any car until.... maybe the new Alfa Romeo? ha ha... Let's see.[/QUOTE]

All premium makes depreciate significantly - which is what can make them excellent value as a used car. If you think Jaguars depreciate faster than others, have a look at the current price of a 2007 Bentley. The depreciated amount is about $100,000. It seems a bargain in the $40,000 range, unless you figure in the astronomical maintenance and repair costs on that 12 cylinder engine.
No thanks. Give me a properly maintained and cosmetically excellent XK or any other Jaguar. I like to be able to sleep at night.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
All premium makes depreciate significantly - which is what can make them excellent value as a used car. If you think Jaguars depreciate faster than others, have a look at the current price of a 2007 Bentley. The depreciated amount is about $100,000. It seems a bargain in the $40,000 range, unless you figure in the astronomical maintenance and repair costs on that 12 cylinder engine.
No thanks. Give me a properly maintained and cosmetically excellent XK or any other Jaguar. I like to be able to sleep at night.
The fancy cars can maintain their value better if the service money was put into it while they owned it. Only problem is next buyer may not want to pay that premium when they see less expensive options. There's something to be said about "well maintained".

Old 05-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a member of a mainly U.K. forum and we have several meets through the year. Some are just forum members, others just Jaguars and some anything you can think off on wheels.

None of them are concours events, all just Perol heads.

The Imperial War Museum at Duxford recently held their spring car show and being in England we get everything from Jaguars to Vettes and stangs plus many others Classic and modern
We also go to Jaguars at the Castle where only Jaguars are allowed onto the Castle grounds, hundreds of them and thousands pay to come in and look round the Castle and the cars.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Black52TD, Thank you for the invite to by the sea event. I am adding to my calendar and hope to make the trip from MA. I am planning British Motorcar Festival in Bristol, RI June 9-11 as well. In addition I am looking for clubs or other that may have a track day in the area. I'll like to stretch the XKR's legs a bit. If anyone has any info on that please post...

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

J5hort
Hope to see you there! Our pre registration numbers are quite good !

Steve from Canton