XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How many use the paddles

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
For those out there that constantly use the paddle shifters please invest in the aluminum extenders best money I have ever spent on my car!

The standard plastic shifters are absolutely hideous and should have never been released on such a beautiful car
Totally agree.

Love mine, but they do require some necessary modifications.

Such as giving them the same curve of the wheel itself (they are flat, and interfere with the stalks. Not easy material to bend, so I used a hacksaw to make a deep enough cut to allow some reshaping without damaging the nice solid feel.I find I use them much more regularly as I canyon carve.
Another minor note about the paddles: My knee does at time catch the lower part of the lever causing an occasionally unwanted shift.

All that, and I haffta say I love-em..... And use them frequently....

The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
Panthro (07-14-2016), steve_k_xk (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Job looks fantastic !

I went the silver to match my dash however there was no need to pull the wheel off, my kit came with miniature grub screws that attached the new paddles to the existing ones

Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I think the paddle shifting was very nicely implemented. Especially the rev matching, downshifting feature. I use these features most of the time.

If I compare the implementation to previous owned cars in whiich in some it benefitted from double shifting, there is no comparison.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

In my XKR, I use Dynamic Mode, Sports Mode and paddles all the time without exception but then as a control freak, I have to be in control. Without them, there's no involvement.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Yesterday I was watching the 6 hrs at Watkins Glenn race track of the IMSA cars in GTD and GTLM . All of the cars have manual paddle gearboxes. Seeing some of the in car shots it was interesting to see how they shift during the event. Now I compare it to the NASCAR event at the same track and the amount of driver involvement is completely different as one can imagine. I understand the advantage of the F1 type gearboxes and even the sophistication of the ZF type auto boxes but if you want driver involvement there is nothing like a 3 pedal car. For normal street driving I think our paddles are good for decelerating but don't serve much function during acceleration. I hear from some of the old Ferrari guys that there was more skill required to drive a 3 pedal car and anyone can drive an F1 in auto mode. Anyway it gives us the option of going either way. Oh before the paddles I wonder how many used the shifter to up/down shift their cars.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
if you want driver involvement there is nothing like a 3 pedal car.

Oh before the paddles I wonder how many used the shifter to up/down shift their cars.
Very true, there is no comparison to a clutch and manual. The control that you have by applying more or less throttle as you disengage the clutch is intoxicating, not to mention how it is a skill while driving "at the edge". One mistake on a hard turn and you are toast. This is even more evident on my motorcycle, too much throttle or too sudden of a release on the clutch under power and I am up on one wheel (fun but will get me a ticket or worse for multiple offenses) or getting squerrily in a turn (not so fun).

My previous BMW didn't have paddle shifters but it did have the sport option in the drive selector, flip it over and you can manually change gears. I used it just as often to maximize performance with it's 360hp. Manual shifting the auto-box is more about getting a bit more out of a high-hp car. I never use this function in my company car, there is nothing to gain out of manually selecting gears with a 4 cylinder Malibu no matter how hard I try. With the Jag or my previous Bimmer it allowed for a serious "kick in the ***" when you locked in that gear and hold a high rev to access instant power. A little extra that makes up for the fact that I don't have a manual tranny.