XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How much can one expect a US Jaguar dealer to come off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 AM
Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How much can one expect a US Jaguar dealer to come off...

How much can one expect a US Jaguar dealership to come off the price of a 2015 XK base with about 29,000 miles? Are their prices firm or can you work them down to any reasonable degree? Right now, they're about $3,000 above what I'm comfortable paying. TIA.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

How far can a crow fly?

It's going to depend on how desperate they are to sell / how long they've had it, how much serious interest they've had, whether they think you can/will pay their price, etc.

They're uncommon cars but we're in weird times where (mostly) cash is king.

Are you happy with just a base model...

Old 02-23-2021, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If it's 3K to get the deal done, offer them a shot at financing the car for you. They could get a point kick back from the lender. From there it could be 2K and maybe another $500 discount. Do you want to miss out for $1500?

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
donricardo440 (02-25-2021), Splendid Cat (03-16-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Removed.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 02-24-2021 at 06:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
arenaej (02-23-2021), peterv8 (02-23-2021), SDCR_XK (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
... So to those who feel their XKRs are superior to the "just base" models (and I don't know if that applies to JagV8), brag somewhere else please.
Bill,
I think that JagV8 simply asked a fair question, and wasn't bragging, since he doesn't own an XKR. Click his screen name to get his Public Profile.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
MarkyUK (02-23-2021), Scott in PA (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
How much can one expect a US Jaguar dealership to come off the price of a 2015 XK base with about 29,000 miles? Are their prices firm or can you work them down to any reasonable degree? Right now, they're about $3,000 above what I'm comfortable paying. TIA.
Bill, May we ask what the asking price is for the 2015?

Old 02-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Received 298 Likes on 203 Posts

For me in Europe, "base" would suggest a very low spec. car - but not a derogatory comparison with an XKR. Without knowing what the typical going rate is and the actual spec of the car, it is hard to comment on how much a seller will drop or whether buying a low spec. car is a good deal at that price when higher spec. does not usually cost that much more used.

Here, my experience is that no dealer will drop lower than the lowest currently advertised price for a very similar car. The assumption being that the lowest visible price is for someone really ready to shift that example. Might not always be spot on but it is a starting point. If you make a note of the last advertised price of cars that sell (disappear from the website at least), you should start to get a picture of what is the real selling price level. When I was buying mine, I saw a lot advertised high but they did not move. As prices were dropped, eventually they disappeared giving me something to work with. Add or subtract a little for good or missing options and you have a real target that a seller would see as doable. Whether they are ready to bite is another matter.

The following 2 users liked this post by neilr:
Cee Jay (02-23-2021), HappyDrivin (02-25-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
I've had the sense that there might be an unspoken feeling among XKR owners on this forum that they drive the only REAL XKs. This reinforces it. I hope I am wrong.

When looking for my car I had the chance to test drive an XKR. While admittedly it was a short drive on heavily traveled roads, I didn't find the experience all that different from that of the "just base model" cars I drove. And I felt the normally aspirated engine was simpler to maintain and might cause less problems, which seems to be confirmed by the number of threads here about maintaining and repairing SC-related issues.

So to those who feel their XKRs are superior to the "just base" models (and I don't know if that applies to JagV8), brag somewhere else please.
Wow that was harsh and only emphasises your own insecurity regarding having probably the oldest XK on the forum?

When I looked at buying an X150 back in 2018 I wasn't fussed whether I bought an NA or an SC, and looked at the same number of Artisans (European spec NA) as Dynamic R's

The fact that I bought my 2014 MY XK Dynamic R for £14k cheaper than the nearest one available swung it for me. I wasn't to know at that time less than 3yrs later that it was to be the last ICE GT that Jaguar built, so am glad I bought top-of-the-line.

Admittedly I'm never going to use all of the power, indeed I'd never use it all in an N/A of the same year.

How come I spotted that the subject of your ire didn't even own an X150 within 5 secs....attention to detail is everything!

A famous saying from the 60's "Bad juju man"

Last edited by MarkyUK; 02-24-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

This thread is beginning to take a wrong turn.

I see nothing wrong with the term "base" model as used in the USA. Every vehicle comes somewhere between "base" and "fully loaded" and there is nothing derogatory about the description. It also has nothing to do with N/A or S/C. A "base" specification is available for both engine variants.

Please cease the personal remarks and get the thread back to the topic of DISCOUNT.

Graham

The following 7 users liked this post by GGG:
Cee Jay (02-23-2021), HappyDrivin (02-25-2021), JagV8 (02-23-2021), MarkyUK (02-24-2021), pk4144 (02-24-2021), ralphwg (02-23-2021), rsa760041 (02-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Too little info to give you an informed answer. Can we assume you've already done you due diligence regarding the service history? Can you share the link to the car? Hard to know if the asking price is reasonable without more info. Every car is different and as stated above, how long has the dealer had it? Where did it come from? Dealers use NADA, not KBB, so suggest you start there. The car is going to have a premium tacked on for ow mileage. NADA should help you with that too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
HappyDrivin (02-25-2021), ralphwg (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

If the car is overpriced it will stay on the lot for a while. On the other hand, if this car is "THE CAR" ask to have a PPI done by another dealer and a Jaguar approved body shop. Then compare the asking price to what the market shows for like vehicles and take your best shot. The last two XKs I bought (one is an XKR) involved making my best and final offer and walking out the door when the dealer said no. In one instance I was about 15 minutes into going home when the dealer called and said we had a deal. In the second instance it took the dealer several weeks to agree to my offer within 1k of my best offer which was way below list (by 40+%) for an earlier model year XKR that had been sitting at the dealer for a very long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
MarkyUK (02-24-2021), Splendid Cat (03-16-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Time is money, and the interest meter never stops running. Dealers finance their inventory, and the longer a vehicle sits on their lot the more interest it costs. Its called Floor Plan financing. That's why dealers send used cars to auction that haven't sold after a period of time - say, 60 days; to stop the bleeding.
https://www.coxautoinc.com/learning-...y-dealer-know/

So, why does this matter? A dealer would rather sell a car at a small profit than send it to auction where he might lose money. The longer a car has sat on his lot, the more likely he is to accept a low offer that's above the most current published wholesale price for your area. Which guide book should you use?
https://public.dealerslink.com/compa...ng-guides-for/

Most dealers pay their salespeople on commission, so if a car doesn't sell at a profit a salesperson doesn't get paid and the dealership risks going out of business.

Time is a buyer's friend and a dealer's enemy.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-24-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added photo.
The following 6 users liked this post by Stuart S:
gcgjohnson (02-25-2021), guy (03-19-2021), HappyDrivin (02-25-2021), ralphwg (02-24-2021), SDCR_XK (02-25-2021), Splendid Cat (03-16-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I'm the kind of person that would make an offier of what it is worth to me upfront.
No deal, then I keep looking.
If they find no other deal, they might come back to you.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Like has been mentioned, every deal is a unique transaction whose outcome is based on many factors. Trying to speculate from afar how much any dealer, or different sales people within a dealer, will negotiate off of a price is just an effort in futility. What is the asking price, $40k or more? Is $3k really a factor that breaks the deal?

Drive the bargain you want and in the end hopefully you end up where you want to be, as you know your best tool is walking away from a deal. I put an offer on a car recently that the dealer had on the lot for 6 months, they wouldn't budge a dime. A month later it disappeared, maybe sold, maybe wholesales, who knows. But neither of us was willing to transact so that was the end of it.

I can tell you this, the XK is a great car.. One of the things I liked about it is that it comes with all the options standard (except most years don't have adaptive cruise). Whereas other brands nickel and dime on packages and add-on's. Not the XK, heated cooled seats, premium stereo, large (but dated) infotainment, heated steering, etc. The XKR is the rocket ship version and if you have a real need for power that is worth the upgrade, wasn't for me though.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
SDCR_XK (02-25-2021), Splendid Cat (03-16-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

It really comes down to standard negotiation tactics. Either they want to negotiate or not. You want to negotiate. The best way to get a good deal is to shoot your shot and they bite or don't; these are not one off cars (like say some of the stuff Jay Leno has), there are other cars to try on. If the car is a good car, and checks out, it means its a candidate for you to purchase but the best price can only be achieved if you are willing to walk away. I absolutely will not test drive a car I am not ready to plunk down the money for; I do not want to waste others or my own time, I am not a tire kicker. I test drive maybe half of the cars I look at (well assuming it can move under its own power lol), and buy maybe a third of those. That works out to 1/6th of the cars I'm willing to buy end up being the cars I do purchase and own. So get out there, check it out, maybe buy it. Maybe buy a different car .

As far as the "base" XK, its not like these cars came with crank windows and manual locks, the "basest" car is still a very nice car; and while I absolutely preference XKRs myself, if the extra power is not interesting to you, the XKs are not less reliable or anything (on the X150)! I have an 07 XKR which really in stock form is not faster (or by much) than a 5L XK; and the later cars seem to have nicer material quality in the interiors (not that the early cars are bad, they are nice and I love mine). The X150 platform is really neat in that the "worst" cars in terms of power and reliability and build quality are still very nice cars! Any X150 is a nice car.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

2010 was the only model year that Adaptive Cruise Control was standard equipment on the XKR. The X150 body style was already 3 years old, and ACC was included as an incentive to increase sales for the new 5.0L models.

ACC is a rare option that cost $2,200 on all of the 4.2L models and is easily noted by the two rotary controls on the right side of the steering wheel.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The ACC in the early models was just OK compared to what it is now. It would die off at too low a speed and need to be at too high a speed to enable.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
A dealer would rather sell a car at a small profit than send it to auction where he might lose money. The longer a car has sat on his lot, the more likely he is to accept a low offer that's above the most current published wholesale price for your area.
This right here, is the only piece of advice on used car buying, in my experience, that actually works. Forget KBB, NADA, all that exists just for them to give you lowball crap offers on your car and make it look honest. Time on lot is what really makes the difference.

If the car just showed up on the listings, you aren't getting any kind of deal on it at all. If you think it's fair market, then buy it.

Check and see if it's been listed for a while. If it has, you have room to negotiate. But be careful- at the end of the 60 days, they may silently list it on auction. I had a deal on a Bentley Continental GT at a Jaguar dealer I was taking my time over, being patient, made sure to take my time and walk out and think about it. Then I agreed over email to come in and buy, they said OK see you then, and by that afternoon- they called to tell me it was gone at auction.

The car ended up at a sketchy dealer across the country for $12,000 more! And no, the new seller wasn't interested in anything close to the original deal. Disappointing was an understatement.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Based on my experience, some dealers want to move cars and some dealers will sit on one however long it takes (especially if they "bought" it right, they can afford to). These are NOT common cars anymore, especially if in pristine or well cared for condition and low miles and only 1 or 2 owners. On limited cars such as these it comes down to what you can afford, how badly you want it and is it the best example for the price - color combo, year, mileage, condition, options, trim, etc.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Circumstances change. Around 1900, everybody got around by horse and buggy, but only really rich folk could afford one of those new-fangled automobiles. Today, everybody has a car or two but only really rich folk can afford a horse. That's because gasoline is cheap, especially in Texas where today the really rich folk are glad they have horses. Without horses, how would they get around in their new-fangled 1,000 horsepower electric Teslas? They wouldn't, after the electric power grid goes out again. It's deja vu 1900, - back to the days of 1 horsepower transportation.

That brings us to used car prices in Texas.

If you want to buy a used Tesla cheap, look in Texas. Everything is bigger in Texas, including the doorstops with 4 wheels and Ludicrous Mode. Even electric power bills are bigger in Texas.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02...lectric-bills/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...lectric-bills/

So you thought you would save the environment and save money by buying an electric vehicle. How's that working out for you now? The road to the future is paved with hiccups.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not anti-Tesla, or anti-EV. My point is that, notwithstanding the warnings, no one really expected anything like this disaster would actually ever happen in Texas. Nevertheless, life goes on ...

Quick Reply: How much can one expect a US Jaguar dealer to come off...