XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How to program Homelink garage door opened

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018 | 07:01 PM
|
Default How to program Homelink garage door opened

For a '15 Jag XK, I can't get the connection. Car seems to accept the signal from the garage door remote, but won't engage the door motor.

Old 05-28-2018 | 09:24 PM

‘15 Jag would be in another forum, however, you likely have a learning system with random codes and you need to program the remote and then hit the learning button on the garage door opener.

Old 05-28-2018 | 10:02 PM
|

Texasbill, thank you for the quick response. I tried 2 door opening motors, 1 with and 1 without a learning button. Again as I first said, the Jag XK homelink accepts the signal from the remotes, but the door doesn't operate. In other words the receiver in the motor is not getting the signal from the Jag homelink. I am really baffled and frustrated.

Old 05-29-2018 | 02:38 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by JPOrrico
For a '15 Jag XK, I can't get the connection. .....
Welcome to the forum JPOrrico,

I've moved your question from XK8/XKR to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model who use this feature will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-29-2018 | 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

What is the brand and model type of your garage door opener. I have a chamberlin unit that would not sync. up with my 2012 and had to buy a converter unit in order to make the opener work. My 2010 Lexus worked without it but my 2012 Jag didn't. Call your opener manufacture and see if they can help you out.

The following users liked this post:
JPOrrico (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

The brand and model of the opener would be useful, not all brands act alike.

Old 05-29-2018 | 07:06 AM
|
Default '15 Jag XK

To TexasBill, I was mistaken on my first response. BOTH garage door openers have a "Learn" button even though they are different makes. One is a few years old and the other is brand new. I tried the instructions process on both but still cannot make the door open. This forum site moved my question to "XK" so I get views on the exact same model as mine.

Old 05-29-2018 | 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

The one annoying thing about HomeLink....... FIRST you must program the HomeLink inside the car to the correct frequency by using an already-operating hand-held remote. The instructions are in the User Manual. Step-by-Step.

What a lot of people DON'T know:
HomeLink systems are from the factory set up Per-Button; #1 Button for Genie; $2 for Chamberlain; #3 for something else, can't remember. When the HomeLink is cleared using the two outside buttons as-per instructions, this is the stock configuration.

Orthodixie (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The one annoying thing about HomeLink....... FIRST you must program the HomeLink inside the car to the correct frequency by using an already-operating hand-held remote. The instructions are in the User Manual. Step-by-Step.

What a lot of people DON'T know:
HomeLink systems are from the factory set up Per-Button; #1 Button for Genie; $2 for Chamberlain; #3 for something else, can't remember. When the HomeLink is cleared using the two outside buttons as-per instructions, this is the stock configuration.
Interesting I have Chamberlain on all of my #1 buttons

Old 05-29-2018 | 02:22 PM
|

Cee Jay, I did program the HomeLink inside my '15 Jag XK from the already operating hand-held remote, exactly as both the garage door and car manuals state. Then the HomeLink inside the car indicates by a small red light going on that it has received and accepted the signal from the hand-held remote that operates the door motor. It is the final step that is not happening for me. That is the door motor is not receiving or registering the signal from the car's HomeLink. And using the motor's "Learn" button doesn't make it work either.

Frustration for sure.

Old 05-29-2018 | 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Interesting I have Chamberlain on all of my #1 buttons
Of course, once you program them for it. The original factory default is what I stated. Once changed, it's changed. All three of mine are Chamberlain also, once I programmed them.

Old 05-29-2018 | 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JPOrrico
Cee Jay, I did program the HomeLink inside my '15 Jag XK from the already operating hand-held remote, exactly as both the garage door and car manuals state. Then the HomeLink inside the car indicates by a small red light going on that it has received and accepted the signal from the hand-held remote that operates the door motor. It is the final step that is not happening for me. That is the door motor is not receiving or registering the signal from the car's HomeLink. And using the motor's "Learn" button doesn't make it work either.

Frustration for sure.
The color of the "Learn" button on the door opener unit makes a difference. I've had to go purchase a separate UNIVERSAL transmitter, use those included instructions to make it work with a specific opener, then reprogram the car with the new, operable hand unit. Then of course, finish off with programming the car to the opener.
PITA, but I always get them to work that way. I buy the cheapo 3-button universal remotes, then use all three buttons on separate occasions/vehicles to program the HomeLinks.

Old 05-29-2018 | 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Then again, you may have a weirded door opener unit that just won't work.
Me, I'd go buy a new opener rather than a Bridge unit. Lots of things in my house are now WiFi connected, and while some are useless (My range? Why is a 'smart' range necessary?) others I use all the time (irrigation system, thermostat, security system, light switches etc). I don't have a connected garage door opener (yet), but I do look at the add-on wall controllers once in awhile.
I used to think all this 'connected house' stuff was Hooey, but it's actually kind of useful.

Old 05-29-2018 | 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Cee Jay (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Then again, you may have a weirded door opener unit that just won't work.
Me, I'd go buy a new opener rather than a Bridge unit. Lots of things in my house are now WiFi connected, and while some are useless (My range? Why is a 'smart' range necessary?) others I use all the time (irrigation system, thermostat, security system, light switches etc). I don't have a connected garage door opener (yet), but I do look at the add-on wall controllers once in awhile.
I used to think all this 'connected house' stuff was Hooey, but it's actually kind of useful.
I replaced mine 2 years ago and it was not compatible with the Jag but worked with the Lexus. After getting the converter the Jag linked right up. It's also wifi linked to my cell. I just got a new router so I had to redo the wifi link.

Cee Jay (05-29-2018)
Old 05-30-2018 | 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
This thread really helped me. The major step that many miss is unplugging and plugging back in.

Orthodixie (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018 | 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Typer

This thread really helped me. The major step that many miss is unplugging and plugging back in.

Interesting as I never had this issue. Glad it worked for you.

Old 05-30-2018 | 02:16 PM
|

Many thanks to all of you who so kindly responded trying to help me. I gave up and called my garage door service people to install those radio frequency converters. I'll need 2; 1 for each of the Linear and Lift Master. Then I'll see if my '15 Jag XK Home Link connects with the motor receiver. In the meantime I am using the hand held remote.

Old 05-30-2018 | 05:49 PM
Default Bridge it

Glad you're on the path to resolution but I had same issue; bought the Homelink Compatabilty Bridge and everything talks to each other now. Plug and play , 5 minutes.

Old 05-30-2018 | 05:59 PM
|

Hey "AllblueACR" my '15 XK is also "all blue" but the dark sapphire metallic with full caramel interior, including the entire dash and carpets. Yours looks to be a very bright blue. Can you send me pictures to my e-mail - jporrico@outlook.com? BTW I am in Seattle, WA. Where is Airdrie? And I also see you are a "Senior Member." At 75 I am definitely a "senior" but very new to this Jag Forum.

Quick Reply: How to program Homelink garage door opened