XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How to Remove quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Remove quarter window glass

This is another issue I was having from this past weekend..as I lowered the convertible top, I heard a crunching noise coming from the driver side quarter window..and now the quarter window will not come up. The other side will come up, just not the drivers side...I can hear movement from the quarter window and assume that the window regulator is broken..I managed to remove the panel, and wonder how in the heck do you remove the regulator to replace or repair. Please review the attached photo..
any help would greatly be appreciated,

Thanks
Al

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove quarter window glass-img_3878.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Not the easiest of jobs, but it is doable. See the instructions in the repair manual here: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...150Service.pdf

Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Default wow!

Like you said doable ..but man it looks like a pain..I will be taking photos for references for myself and others that need to replace theirs.. Thank you very much for sending me this link...it will definitely help

al

Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I've never been inside a Jaguar door, but wear some decent gloves to prevent slicing up your hands on sharp sheet metal.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM
Default Update with some Pictures

Okay, I am still figuring out why I haven't sold this xk with all of the minor problems it has...anyway, I have made progress with my quarter window which would not go up or down..and I have to really thank WhiteXKR with the download of the repair manual, of which really really helped..personally it showed me the direction I needed to go, but there was some little things I had to figure out on the removal..as you can see by the pictures that you have to remove a lot of components to get to the window and motor assembly, also it was clear that the motor and cable became tangled which caused the problem. after viewing the whole assembly it would seem the guide wheels that move the window up and down were very dry and needed lubrication and acually was hard to move freely. I have the complete removal documented with pictures so I can have an idea on how to reassemble. I did find a complete window assembly including the motor for $129 on ebay..I will post a progress report on reassembly

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove quarter window glass-download.png   How to Remove quarter window glass-download-2-.png   How to Remove quarter window glass-download-1-.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by synperkaya:
Jacsun (05-31-2016), richzak (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Good on you for taking the task on. I doubt many many would have attempted it. With a bit of research and at times help from forum members, there are a lot of things that can be handled by oneself.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Props to you for tackling this job. I am curious as to why it failed to begin with? Was there a maintenance item that needed to be carried out and was not performed? Or did it just break out of age and fatigue?

Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM

No maintenance issues, in my opinion, as you can see the cable got tangled , and I think the guide rails were very dry as if it was hard to slide going up and down and maybe contributed to the cable becoming off track then binding up into the motor

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove quarter window glass-cable.png  
Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Thumbs up Cue the music "We are the Champions"

Well, it was not a difficult job, but a damn tedious one..lets hope you do not have to replace your rear quarter window motor, but if you do, take a lot of pictures and take your time..I had to make some minor adjustments installing the motor for example, ensuring that the window was fully extended, which helped in angling the motor to slide into the window crevasse and I also lubed the guide rails as well. if anyone ever needs guidance, I have the pictures to show you how...attached is the picture of the ebay replacement which came off a 2009 and the installed window..I would like to thank all who helped, and with all of the rain here in Texas, I had to get this done ASAP..

Al

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove quarter window glass-img_4014.jpg   How to Remove quarter window glass-img_4024.jpg  
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Default another problem?

I did forget to mention that now that everything is assembled, I now have an airbag warning light.. the light does not flash, just turns on..could this be from removing the rear seat-belt assembly?? should I reset the electrical by removing the battery??
any advise on this issue would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I did the same in terms of removing a broken regulator. Very challenging getting the old one out because it was jammed halfway down. I had to disassemble the regulator inside the car cavity!

I sent it off to get it repaired and in the meantime reassembled the car so that I can drive it for the 10 days or so.

BUT I too have now got an airbag light! It flashes one time only - a single flash and then remains illuminated.

Only thing that I can think of is that of the passenger seatbelt electrical and that I actually ran the battery down during my work and had to recharge the battery (using a trickle charger for a day)

Nothing shows up on the ODB2 (not unexpectedly so) Did you solve your airbag light issue? Can anybody help with this?

Phil

Originally Posted by synperkaya
I did forget to mention that now that everything is assembled, I now have an airbag warning light.. the light does not flash, just turns on..could this be from removing the rear seat-belt assembly?? should I reset the electrical by removing the battery??
any advise on this issue would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Default airbag light

As listed below from my other thread..

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...issues-162471/

I was able to get my airbag light as well as my seat reclining issues resolved by having to go the dealer and them clearing my codes..the mechanic did mention that there were many errors relating to battery power...took one hour of service time and it was fixed...
Al

Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both of my rear quarter panel window regulators have broken on a 2009 xk. Passenger side end of 2014 (thank you valet) Drivers side yesterday 11/16. They get dry I guess. Both times mine broke the trunk divider was not in the correct position for the top to go down. So process started then stopped. I guess if dry and that happens cable snaps? Ugh. $1,300 dealer says. Part is $550 Labor $720. I cannot do it myself!

Last edited by CClifton; 11-07-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: details
Old 11-07-2016, 10:08 AM

If you live in FL you have Window Motor World close by - they are FANTASTIC!

Please see my detailed thread on this subject here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-convt-166690/

Phil

Originally Posted by CClifton
Both of mine have broken on a 2009 xk. Passenger side end of 2014 (thank you valet) Drivers side yesterday 11/16. They get dry I guess. Both times mine broke though the trunk divider was not in the correct position for the top to go down. So process started then stopped. I guess if dry and that happens cable snaps? Ugh. $1,300 dealer says. Part is $600 Labor $700.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driver (left) side quarter glass

Originally Posted by synperkaya
Like you said doable ..but man it looks like a pain..I will be taking photos for references for myself and others that need to replace theirs.. Thank you very much for sending me this link...it will definitely help

al
I just experienced this exact issue. Do you or others have photos of the repair process to share. The illustrations in the service manual are not very detailed.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 AM

There is jaguar disassembly procedure that lists the actual step by step process and was a big help for me.......I have done this 3 times so far, and the motor that I rebuilt myself is holding fine...I will see if I can find the installation instructions and photos and post them..
Al

Old 09-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could use instructions on removing the window and regulator on my 2006 XK8.
I removed the seats, speaker, but am unsure how to get the window our and motor out ... do they go up and out? or out through the side.
I am thinking up and out ... the reason to open the convertible top part way.
thanks
Bill

Old 09-26-2021, 07:39 PM
Default I have a detailed post about this

Look for my post in the thread…

Rear Window regulator 2008 XKR X150 convt.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Methinks you are in the wrong forum. This is for the X150 otherwise known as the XK line model years in the USA 2007-2015. You say you have a a 2006. In the USA that is an X100. If that is the case try that forum for better answers. Maybe a moderator will move you over there. Good luck.