XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How to remove side gills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

Awesome you got yours off fine.. I failed miserably and broke most of the clips, luckily some good plastic weld fixed it all.

And btw you can really easily wrap these with vinyl wrap instaed of painting if you dont want it permanent. Wrapping these is easily at a beginner level for anyone who has never wrapped anything.

Originally Posted by Swisstone
Well they are now both off ready for painting!

For anyone thinking of doing this, pic below of back showing the clips so you can see what's needed.
You can follow the instruction sheet for one side (side without the washer bottle sandwiched behind the wing!) by removing back half of wheel lining and you can just get your hand in.

The clip holding the front of the chrome badge that you access through a small hole in the door gap is impossible! I used mirrors and tried everything but it will break! No matter which way you press or lever, they are solid. Not major as the rest hold it firm anyway or a dab on glue when putting back on should sort it.
Release the other 5 by pressing the tabs slightly. They can still break but only one did so not a problem.
Once off and I knew their locations, I could get the harder side off by using a credit card to slide in behind! Lever each one out in turn. I had a clip release set but no use in this case. Once off, you still won't be able to remove the chrome badge so don't try as not removable! What you can do is press through the two small tabs at the end and the badge will pivot up enough to wedge and mask off for painting.

Will post some pics one the rest is done! Having RS spoiler, side gill vents and spats for carbon RS diffuser painted.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah I did think about that but didn't want to go over the top with it as just got my rear boot plinth with the jaguar stamp hydro dipped in carbon to match the carbon lower diffuser. Each to their own I guess!

Old 03-30-2018, 01:38 PM

When you say plastic weld, do you mean the solvent plumbers stuff that you use for plastic pipes? I've got one to fix but was going to get some epoxy mix adhesive? Not sure which is strongest?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

I bought a plastic welding kit when I broke some of my door plastic clips when removing the door panels. My door panels are extremely fragile inside and break easily..not sure why. The plastic weld kit worked great to put the broken piece back on. I got it at walmart for like $20 or something like that. I also used industrial hot glue outside the break just as a secondary hold in case it breaks again.

When you say plastic weld, do you mean the solvent plumbers stuff that you use for plastic pipes? I've got one to fix but was going to get some epoxy mix adhesive? Not sure which is strongest?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Sounds just the job! Good effort!

Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Yeah I did think about that but didn't want to go over the top with it as just got my rear boot plinth with the jaguar stamp hydro dipped in carbon to match the carbon lower diffuser. Each to their own I guess!
Are you going to fill in the JAGUAR letters? I had my original body colour painted to match but with the larger spoiler I felt the letters made it too busy which is probably why Jag made them letter free from 2012 on. Mine is now the carbon one from the GT.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM

I know what you mean but haven't filled in the letters. Didn't even think about that but looks much better without the divide now!