XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Huh? Whoowhat?!? DOH!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I miss the days when a dead battery just meant that the car wouldn't start!!

Yup, me too. Never even had a engine in my Flintstone mobile.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Oh... And the AC don't work either....

The tech said the engine light might be on because the temp sensor is reading 44 below zero... Where is the outside temp sensor located on the car?!
Pretty sure it's in the driver's side rear view mirror but, I have been wrong before.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Pretty sure it's in the driver's side rear view mirror but, I have been wrong before.
interesting.. Drivers side mirror rear view mirror... the rear view mirror that is not docking!!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Again your right... not a Jag problem.. its a dealership problem. Car was functioning flawlessly prior to dropping it off. The dealership needs to fix it themselves and take steps to assure they check their work - or at least please check dummy lights before returning a customers car??

Loth
I'm sorry you're having problems with your car also. I don't think this is a coincidence. I think it's either a low battery or the tech at the dealer did something screwy. I had an instance with my 05 STR in which it went into limp home mode. Of course the dealer wanted to charge me an arm, a leg and my first born. I took it to Brake Masters, where I take my Tahoe, and found out the fuse box it the rear wasn't secured. They put a tie wrap on it and I haven't had a problem with that in over 2 years....knock on wood. My point is sometimes what we first perceive to be major issues with our cars turn out to be very small ones. In your case, with a warrantied car, the dealer has a obligation to fix it. I know its frustrating taking a perfectly running car to the dealer and getting back a flawed car, believe me, I know. You're in a good place though as these folks on this forum are sharp. They'll point you in the right direction for sure. As for me, I'm not mechanically inclined so all I can do is wish you good luck!!!

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

interesting.. Drivers side mirror rear view mirror... the rear view mirror that is not docking!!
That's what I was thinking....

You can try just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if it clears the problem. If that doesn't work, just let the dealer take care of it. It does sound like the typical battery related electrical gremlin though.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gray XK
That's what I was thinking....

You can try just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if it clears the problem. If that doesn't work, just let the dealer take care of it. It does sound like the typical battery related electrical gremlin though.
quite a few problems though... as they stand right now:

1- engine light on and tech says there is no code?
2- outside temp sensor saying its -44 deg outside....
3- close the trunk and the left turn signal blinks (found this on accident today).
4- Blower works but no cool air from the A/C (after leaving the dealership noted this).
5- driver side mirror does not dock when you lock the car...and the right one does at times other times it also does not. (noted after I got home).

Im just scared to drive the car...... I mean who knows what is really wrong?!?!

Loth

Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

I went out to mess around with the car.... No left turn signal now with closing the trunk but did notice the left driver side door rear view mirror basically has no power... The underneath light is not working, it's not docking, and if that temp sensor is in there no wonder it's not working correctly if there is no power to the module? We shall see I guess how this pans out!!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

My guess would be: when they were fitting the new door seals, they disturbed/cut/damaged the wiring leading from the body into the door, or managed to disconnect (or forgot to reconnect) one of the connectors.

Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
My guess would be: when they were fitting the new door seals, they disturbed/cut/damaged the wiring leading from the body into the door, or managed to disconnect (or forgot to reconnect) one of the connectors.
I have thought this same thing going through the possibilities.... and wondered how much its gonna cost to fix said wiring!!!

Wonder why the check engine light and no A/C though?

Loth

Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down

They need to check the battery and either reset the electricals or do a complete electrical system check? I cant see how in a million sundays they did anything to the engine and that being said the tech said the engine light is on but there is no code that the engine its spitting out!?!?

I just dont know WHY the engine light is on??? And whats with the A/C not working either?!? That is confusing for a door electrical problem

I just wonder if they shorted/damaged the wiring system because they didnt unhook the battery? Or maybe he unhooked it and didnt rehook it correctly?!??

Sounds like a nightmare car if the electricals are damaged!

Loth

Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Another guess: both the ECM and the climate system rely on knowing the ambient temperature - right now, they think its -44 outside and so the a/c is desperately trying to heat the car while the ECM has chosen its 'extreme cold' mapping and can't figure out why things aren't running right.

I don't think it will be major wiring damage - might just be a loose connector. Anyway: they broke it, they must fix it. Don't let 'em off the hook!

P.S.: DONT PANIC!!!

Last edited by Ngarara; 06-08-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Just took the car out for a drive considering the tech told me there is no code just the "check engine light". The car drives great, idles correctly, no apparent problem.The radio works great ie standard so that wiring is ok, the window is working flawlessly so that wiring is ok as well. The center electricals are working great apart from the -40F. The AC works GREAT ON MANUAL...It threw out cold air at a fast rate just fine... however on AUTO it goes into limp mode and despite turning it down to 60F and its 80F outside its not pushing out air. So the stand alone function of the air conditioner/fan are spot on.. how the car is controlling the "auto" function is what is in error and considering the temp sensor is jacked to hell that should be fixed when the outside temp sensor is back online!... me peabrain tinks..

No weird left turn signal click when I close the trunk today either lol. What the heck was up with that?

So we need to fix the drivers side mirror - the docking, the lower light, the fact it seems to have no power...and see when that is "fixed" if the temp sensor is working... at that point if the engine light goes off then all is well in the world. Wonder why the check engine light would come on if there is a wiring problem in the door!?! Is there any cross connectivity there?

If not... oh hell!!

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 06-08-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Another guess: both the ECM and the climate system rely on knowing the ambient temperature - right now, they think its -44 outside and so the a/c is desperately trying to heat the car while the ECM has chosen its 'extreme cold' mapping and can't figure out why things aren't running right.

I don't think it will be major wiring damage - might just be a loose connector. Anyway: they broke it, they must fix it. Don't let 'em off the hook!

P.S.: DONT PANIC!!!
Love ya Ross!!!

ps- Canadian F1 GP today.. all is well!!!

Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Canadian F1 GP today.. all is well!!!
Yup - will be watching!

And don't fret about the car - I'm pretty sure it will sort itself out once they get the mirror (and, more importantly, the temp sensor) working again. And if that isn't it, the problem belongs to the dealer. It was OK when it went in...

Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

more then ok...just a few small rubber cracks in seals I wanted to get taken care of before warranty ran out in 12/2015... Was not the end of the line but would have been a problem down the road.....but didnt expect all this mess :-/ as a result!

At the end of the day... Its still the best car I have ever owned from the best company I have ever seen.. I love these cars, I love this company... and I plan on and will continue spilling my lifeblood into them as long as im alive/and they are fixable....Both the xkr and xkrs will be in my garage another 50 yrs!!!.... damn the torpedo's!! Full speed ahead!!!!! and finally... YEEEEEEEEEHAW!!!

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 06-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I miss the days when a dead battery just meant that the car wouldn't start!!
I miss the days when I could find the battery without a manual! Heck, I miss the days when I never needed to even open the manual because everything was so intuitive! Now that you depend on a manual, all 500+ pages worth, you have to go on-line to view it in some cases...or find the answer quicker by asking on the forum!

more then ok...just a few small rubber cracks in seals I wanted to get taken care of before warranty ran out in 12/2015... Was not the end of the line but would have been a problem down the road.....but didnt expect all this mess :-/ as a result!
Loth
It sounds like the mechanic did check his work. It's remarkable how many times a simple repair at a dealership requires multiple visits to get fixed because they don't check their own work. I'm sure it's a widespread problem across many brands. Hope they get it fixed on the next visit.

Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm a firm believer that unless an issue is monumental to me, I'd prefer to keep the car away from the dealership to avoid any additional mishaps or damage that are probable to happen. The techs will not care of your car like you will regardless of what you might have paid for it.

Last edited by bocatrip; 06-08-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I'm a firm believer that unless an issue is monumental to me, I'd prefer to keep the car away from the dealership to avoid any additional mishaps or damage that are probable to happen. The techs will not care of you car like you will regardless of what you might have paid for it.

+1

It's very hard to find someone that takes pride in their work. No wonder so many people don't like what they do for a living.

Last edited by DGL; 06-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
+1

It's very hard to find someone that take pride in there work. No wonder so many people don't like what they do for a living.
They can make it right. Fix it, put the clear reflectors on the way i asked (and at the work level i asked). I doubt they do the later but they MUST do the first.

Loth

Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Just got off the phone with the dealership - They were not aware of the left drivers side rear view mirror having no power. They did confirm that the temp sensor was not in that mirror and that it was in the front of the car unrelated to the door. They said once the temp sensor comes in and they replace it they will look at the door as likely a wire is malfunctioning. Sounds like a plan - if they replace the temp sensor and the engine light, air conditioning, and outside temp are not gone/working correctly/reading correctly then well I guess that its not a bad temp sensor. They will have to take the door back apart I would assume regarding the mirror. Just waiting on the temp sensor to arrive.

Quick Reply: Huh? Whoowhat?!? DOH!!