XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I am now the owner of a 2008 Jaguar XKR Platinum Portfolio edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice pics and car! I just realized with the pics that you bought a black. I might have missed this detail. Black is beautiful but I'm scare to death of it. In fact there is a mint 2010 black/black that I'd get if I weren't so scare of black.

How did you get over this fear.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Its a lovely car!
I expected your car to be silver in color as you call it a portfolio platinum as I thought you were referring to the color.
I googled for "jaguar platinum" and can find no reference to any jag model variant being called a platinum. I'd be interested to know what the platinum option is. Are you sure its not just the type of the warranty cover or similar? Apparently Jag do have a platinum warranty hence possible confusion.
( Your car looks absolutely identical to mine (other than a soft top) which is a 2008 portfolio ed. )

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Evoking, I admit I was scared of black because I had a black BMW 5 series years ago and keeping the looking clean is tough, but I really liked the look of the XKR in black and I figure if I have to wash it more often, small price. In the sun the car actually looks blue due to the metallic flakes in the paint reflecting the blue sky.

Justniz - I don't know all the differences in what they call The platinum Portfolio model compared to the base XKR, I know they mentioned upgraded brakes and wheels, sound system and chrome accents, but I mostly just liked the XKR and the portfolio was a plus to something I liked anyway. The sale person said they made 175 of the Portfolio models and it has Portfolio stamped into the doorsill. I should know more but I mainly knew I wanted the 2008 XKR.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DRubnitz
Thanks Evoking, I admit I was scared of black because I had a black BMW 5 series years ago and keeping the looking clean is tough, but I really liked the look of the XKR in black and I figure if I have to wash it more often, small price. In the sun the car actually looks blue due to the metallic flakes in the paint reflecting the blue sky.

Justniz - I don't know all the differences in what they call The platinum Portfolio model compared to the base XKR, I know they mentioned upgraded brakes and wheels, sound system and chrome accents, but I mostly just liked the XKR and the portfolio was a plus to something I liked anyway. The sale person said they made 175 of the Portfolio models and it has Portfolio stamped into the doorsill. I should know more but I mainly knew I wanted the 2008 XKR.
All that stuff does come with our cars as they're portfolio. They're indeed lovely cars but as you pointed out, its not an easy color to keep clean (especially here in AZ mine gets dusty in like 5 minutes after a wash).

Sorry for my being ****, but I think you'll find there's no such thing as a 'platinum portfolio ed.', its actually a 'portfolio ed.'.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Sounds right, I listen to the salesperson to much

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have a 2008 XKR Portfolio the car is fantastic

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice

Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Default sold my XKR

I hate to say I am no longer a member of the Jaguar owners club. The XKR gave a great ride but just didn't handle the way I want a car to handle at the track and was really to nice to track it anyway. I traded it in and got a Corvette Grand Sport. My gosh the Corvette is a track car and with slicks that I have already bought it is a real beast. My wife told me to sell when I complained about my lap times at the track. In addition the Jag being a Jag just kept having electrical issues. While the car was under warranty it was an hour drive to get it to the closest dealer for warranty work. The AC quit while we were driving back from Orlando in the summer heat 5 hours no AC. The drivers seat wouldn't work another time for a long drive and I could barely touch the pedals, the Nav and stereo would stop working on a regular basis and unless the problem continued after driving to the dealership and when they restart the car they couldn't diagnosis the problem and we would have to wait till next time it happened (which was not always a good time to be able to drive it in). The Jag was a great road car and the looks were awesome, but I have to say I do love my new Corvette. Black exterior and combination red and black interior.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default New Jag & NSX

When I decided to buy a Jag coupe last year, I also decided there was no way I could part with my NSX after 17 years. They're as different as night and day but I love them both the same. The Jag is my daily driver and the NSX is my weekender. The most amazing thing is that the Jag only holds 1 bag of golf clubs in the trunk ... but the NSX trunk actually holds 2 bags! Go figure! Enjoy your Jag and keep it sparkling! It's a great ride!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

The GS is a nice car. I'm sure you can get a great price now that the C7 will be trickling in showrooms next month (Kerbeck, Maxie, Les Stanfard). I remember selling my C5 before C6 announcement and got a decent deal.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry to see ya go, but I'm sure you will enjoy the vet more on those track days. Hard to understand the number of problems you encountered with your XKR, but it was probably a single computer on the fritz causing it....

Anyhow be sure to wave at us when you blast by!

Vince

Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to see you go. I have had my 2008 XKR Portfolio for over 4 years and I have never had any issues except it gets a lot of attention

Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Default corvette and jaguar

Hey Guys,

Thanks, I will likely still troll the forum from time to time. I agree this had to be a computer issue on the Jag but after 5 times at the dealership in less than a year and it was still doing it I was done and my wife was saying to dump it. I am enjoying the Corvette though so all is good although getting in and out is much more difficult and it doesn't get anywhere near as many looks. Maybe that's why my wife wanted it gone.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Great car!! Welcome to the Forum and Jaguar. You probably have many years of enjoyment with the car in front of you.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

It's the thought that counts.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Yeah its surprising how long the nose is beyond the part you can see. Way more than my old-shape XKR.

My car has a forward radar operated by one of the buttons in the fog light button/dimmer control switchpack. Its off by default. I'm guessing it re purposes the adaptive cruise radar so maybe only cars with adaptive cruise have it?

They don't describe well its intended use in the manual but I guess its for alerting you in case you're distracted when the car in front suddenly brakes or whatever, or maybe its for use in fog.

Has anyone found it works reliably as a (front) parking detector? I think Jag do fit front parking detectors (like the back ones) but only in some markets and as an extra option. I don't have them but having something as a safeguard would be nice before I inevitably ding the nose on something one day.
I have one and nope sadly it doesnt work as a front parking sensor at all. Its purpose is only to alert you when you approach something fast enough that you need to brake to avoid an accident. i.e. it only goes off if the relative difference in velocity is large.
Maybe if you drove into your parking spot at about 50mph it might work as a parking sensor :-)

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Yeah its surprising how long the nose is beyond the part you can see. Way more than my old-shape XKR.

My car has a forward radar operated by one of the buttons in the fog light button/dimmer control switchpack. Its off by default. I'm guessing it re purposes the adaptive cruise radar so maybe only cars with adaptive cruise have it?

They don't describe well its intended use in the manual but I guess its for alerting you in case you're distracted when the car in front suddenly brakes or whatever, or maybe its for use in fog.

Has anyone found it works reliably as a (front) parking detector? I think Jag do fit front parking detectors (like the back ones) but only in some markets and as an extra option. I don't have them but having something as a safeguard would be nice before I inevitably ding the nose on something one day.
JustNiz,

I like your creative thinking about possibly using the Forward Alert feature of the Adaptive Cruise Control system but, as explained below, I think that won't work.

My 2009 Portfolio came standard with both front and rear parking sensors, in addition to the optional adaptive cruise. ACC and f/r parking sensors (Parking Aid) are separate systems, designed for different purposes.

Forward Alert is part of the ACC system. If you manually set FA, it will automatically cut off at speeds below 18 mph per the manual. So FA won't work as a front parking sensor. Unless, you can park really, really fast! Even if it did work as you hoped, FA wouldn't provide you with any useful distance-to-object information like the Parking Aid system does.

PA is a well-designed, useful feature. When you shift into reverse, both f/r sensors automatically turn on and the touchscreen display switches to the car parking pictogram that shows the location and distance to an object, including variable flashing distances and corresponding variable intermittent/continuous warning tones while you're moving back and forth to park. It also automatically mutes the radio. The PA system automatically switches off when you go forward and exceed 9 mph. You can also manually engage/disengage PA regardless of direction by pressing the switch in the overhead console (illuminated when on).

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DR,

I'm in the process of negotiating price for the same exact car. Hope this isn't rude, but would you mind divulging the price you paid for that beauty? You can PM me if you feel more comfortable.

thanks for your help

michfan

Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by wcs_michfan
Hi DR,

I'm in the process of negotiating price for the same exact car. Hope this isn't rude, but would you mind divulging the price you paid for that beauty? You can PM me if you feel more comfortable.

thanks for your help

michfan
Mich....the car you are trying to compare here with DRubnitz, his is a coupe, not a convertible, therefore expect a difference in pricing. Also, DRubnitz bought the car at a Jaguar dealer, you're dealing with a "private party", which is a big difference in car sale prices.

Read above that DRubnitz traded the 2008 XKR Coupe on 7-11-2013 for a Corvette.

Hope you get your Jag, I am rooting for you.

Last edited by richzak; 07-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Mich,

No problem. I paid $48,000 for the car when I got it. It had about less than 30k miles on it at the time and was covered under the warranty. I traded it in for about $40k the following year on the Corvette. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: I am now the owner of a 2008 Jaguar XKR Platinum Portfolio edition