XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I removed fuse 14 & I like it! For those looking to improve handling...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Nico
do you only have to remove one connection to acheive this? I hit some standing water a while back and got an error about dynamic mode... after the initial panic and reading online its a very common thing with rare but harsh rain spells and standing water, anyway while in this mode apparently it puts the suspension onto its firmest setting and I loved it!... ideally I'd like to be able to engage this for sporty use but not loose the lsd like you mentioned and also not loose the option to maintain normal dynamic mode.. for anyone finding this in the future (worrying about the dynamic error) the error reset once the relevant sensor had dried out... its never occurred again
That's correct, removing the connection to one shock, will cause a fault, that will put all shocks on the stiffest setting. Ediff does not fault in this case. This fault needs power cycle in order to reset though, so if you were hypothetically able to disable one shock on a switch, flipping the switch back would not reset dynamic mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by andrezbim:
Mr_Nico (08-04-2017), Panthro (08-26-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by andrezbim
That's correct, removing the connection to one shock, will cause a fault, that will put all shocks on the stiffest setting. Ediff does not fault in this case. This fault needs power cycle in order to reset though, so if you were hypothetically able to disable one shock on a switch, flipping the switch back would not reset dynamic mode.
Thanks for the confirmation/ info, I'd be ok with the power Cycle. Personally its really just to enable stiffest setting for track type use where the road surface is a controlled environment. I have no problems re-enabling it with a restart before the drive home as I'd always be letting it cool down before shutting off after coming off the track. I'm headed out to the Nurburgring in a couple of weeks so might give this a test somewhere local before... (a road trip through england, france, belgium, germany etc never seems like a smart idea to try something new!)

Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the confirmation/ info, I'd be ok with the power Cycle. Personally its really just to enable stiffest setting for track type use where the road surface is a controlled environment. I have no problems re-enabling it with a restart before the drive home as I'd always be letting it cool down before shutting off after coming off the track. I'm headed out to the Nurburgring in a couple of weeks so might give this a test somewhere local before... (a road trip through england, france, belgium, germany etc never seems like a smart idea to try something new!)

I'm jealous! I'm headed to "Tail of the Dragon" in a few weeks and will be implementing a "track mode" setting through cats disable myself. I'm also going to start thinking about a way to alter setting without dynamic disable.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

Good luck Andre, every time I've been to the dragon, the traffic was so thick I had a hard time even getting to the posted 30.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by andrezbim
I'm jealous! I'm headed to "Tail of the Dragon" in a few weeks and will be implementing a "track mode" setting through cats disable myself. I'm also going to start thinking about a way to alter setting without dynamic disable.

are there any other negatives when in dynamic disable?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM

are there any other negatives when in dynamic disable?
I can't seem to find an exact comparison between sport and dynamic mode. Also, to say something is adjusted for Dynamic and also Sport, does not mean they are adjusted the same way.

But dynamic mode is supposed to change:
Steering response,
Shift points,
suspension stiffness
exhaust note,
throttle by wire settings,
and e-diff slip settings***.

I believe sport mode changes:
shift points,
throttle by wire settings,
and e-dff slip settings***

SO hypothetically, if you were to lose dynamic mode through fault,
BUT you put in sport mode,
You'd have stiffest setting,
Shift point parity,

BUT lose some steering effect, and exhaust note changes, and potentially an adjustment to e-diff ***IF there is a difference in e-diff between sport and dynamic mode

For me, i have an aftermarket exhaust, so I would hypothetically only lose steering ratio improvements, and ***MAYBE*** SOME type of slip setting.

This is all based on theory.

Also, I've never noticed a change in steering ratio, but I would love to know.

*** NOT sure about e-diff settings

Last edited by andrezbim; 08-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr_Nico (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

Interesting, I always have dynamic on when I'm in sports or I just have dynamic on, I never really have sports on with dynamic off as I find it wallows about too much and I prefer the planted feel. I'll do some testing tomorrow if this weather holds out and see if I can feel a difference in steering. I'm not a big worrier on the exhaust as dont have fuse 17 (I think) in the box anway so its always wide open on the actuators until I get round to getting my Elite RR system. Steering would be my main focus I think. If I dont run sports mode and just have dynamic on the car holds much less revs and changes gear much sooner so I'd assume that sports adds its profile over the top of dynamic...

even with fuse 17 unplugged and the car stationary and in neutral and a blip of the throttle seems to sound more aggressive and rev faster... again I'll test more tomorrow for the differences...

Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Is it just me, or is this trick only necessary on 4.2L XKRs that do not have a dynamic mode button?

Old 08-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Is it just me, or is this trick only necessary on 4.2L XKRs that do not have a dynamic mode button?

Pretty much yeah the 4.3's benefit but when in Dynamic fault mode the 5.0's fix the suspension to its firmest setting as pointed out by andrezbim in this thread. Dynamic mode is great when on the road and the conditions change but its not an instant effect and its constantly changing... when on the track I'd prefer a fixed firm suspension rate (rather than the variable suspension rate that dynamic creates). I triggered the fault mode by accident once from standing water and I really liked it. the reason were still discussing it is that were trying to find out if there is a way to achieve it without loosing the other benefits from dynamic mode and if they are still present if in sports mode...

Old 08-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Erm... the e-diff is on fuse 28 in the rear seat fuse compartment. F14 just handles the damping control module, the accelerometers & ride-hight sensors.

The following users liked this post:
andrezbim (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Erm... the e-diff is on fuse 28 in the rear seat fuse compartment. F14 just handles the damping control module, the accelerometers & ride-hight sensors.

In spite of the different fuse and circuit, removing F14 causes on E-diff fault... I've tried this multiple times.